Thread: Kia Ex_Cee’d Cabrio Concept

Kia Ex_Cee’d Cabrio Concept

World premiere for all-new Kia ex_cee’d cabrio concept
    2007 Geneva

(SEOUL) February 23, 2007 -- Kia’s exciting all-new ex_cee’d cabrio concept car will make its world premiere at the 77th Salon de l’Automobiles in Geneva, Switzerland on 6 March. The styling of the ex_cee’d cabrio is the work of new Kia Design Chief Peter Schreyer and gives a first indication of the future direction the look of Kia-brand vehicles will be taking under his guidance.

Based on a pre-production prototype of the new three-door cee’d Sporty Hatch (scheduled for production in December), the ex_cee’d has the same wheelbase, but features all-new exterior panels, sharing only the floor-pan and unseen components with the donor car, plus a powered folding fabric roof.

By adopting a fabric roof, the ex_cee’d deliberately goes against the trend towards cabrios with folding metal roofs. Peter Schreyer paid special attention to designing a classic cabrio with a traditional soft-top roof: “I’m convinced that the fabric roof will have a renaissance. We’ve all lived with the romantic idea of open-air driving for a long time and for me, metal roofed cabrios are not truly in tune with this emotional conditioning.”

With its slight wedge shape profile, muscular extended wings over 19-inch alloy wheels, and aggressive, dynamic front styling, the ex_cee’d has instantly found a form that stands out from the cabrio crowd. The cabrio concept is finished in ‘meringue white’ exterior paint with a ‘bitter chocolate’ fabric roof – colours that are echoed by the interior’s two-tone leather.

“With this new cabrio concept car, Kia has once again demonstrated that it is a young, style-conscious company that knows how to combine elegance with dynamics,” enthused Mr Yong-Hwan Kim, Senior Executive Vice President and COO Kia Motors. “The Kia ex_cee’d is a fresh aesthetic high-point in our history, an encouraging sign of the growing internationalisation of our brand and a step in the process of evolving into a European company with Korean roots.”

cee’d family marks historic turning point

The launch of the Kia cee’d family (five-door hatchback from December last year, five-door Sporty Wagon – from August 2007 and three-door Sporty Hatch – from December 2007) marks a major turning point in Kia’s history. The bringing of this trio to the marketplace is the start of a new era. They are the first-ever Kia cars designed and manufactured in Europe and will introduce a qualitative revolution for the brand.

Endorsing the quality of this new model range, Kia is giving all cee'd vehicles a remarkable 7-Year / 150,000 kilometre warranty which is transferable to subsequent owners.

Geneva Show Press Conference

The Kia ex_cee’d cabrio concept, Kia cee’d Sporty Wagon and Kia Rio Hybrid sedan will be unveiled on Stand 5231, Hall 5, during the Kia Motors press conference at 14.00 hrs on 6 March.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to admit this looks good. And it isn't a folding metal roof, which can only be a good thing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Some decent 4000x**** pictures,

I think Kia did a marvelous job on this one. In my opinion this beats a lot of CC cars.

Wow, that is actually a very nice car. Well done Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    I think Kia did a marvelous job on this one. In my opinion this beats a lot of CC cars.
    It looks very good, could get a nice compact-cabrio. CC just doesn't work in this segment (esthetic oriented, not economic).

I'd like to see a picture from the back. Those taillights look quite big.

Thread Information