Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The return of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban?

It is the great leveller. remember half the people you know are below average.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    I am not old enough to own certain types of weapon, but my father and I have been looking into spitting (15:85) the cost of a fully automatic shotgun. If this bill is reintated in it's proposed form will prevent my father, me, or anyone else in the US from buying anything of that sort.
    Why would you need an automatic shotgun? The reason for this law is that there is no legitimate legal reason to have an "assault" weapon.

Ban all weapons completely Close down all the factories, except one for the police forces. The only one with the right to use violence and firearms should be the government,how incompetent it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Ban all weapons completely Close down all the factories, except one for the police forces. The only one with the right to use violence and firearms should be the government,how incompetent it may be.
    this is the most retarded thing i've heard all day.

and i've been in some skyline vs supra threads.

seriously, do you even have a thought process?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    this is the most retarded thing i've heard all day.

and i've been in some skyline vs supra threads.

seriously, do you even have a thought process?
    How much lives would be saved ?

Think about it, when you have guns available to people, it becomes easy to use. In anger one can easily grab their gun instead of using fists/whatever in which case you have a much larger chance to survive

Also not every government does the right things with it, for example the USA and Israel, but it would save quite some home-kills anyway...

How bad one may be(have) EVERYONE has the right of life.
    Last edited by drakkie; 02-24-2007 at 10:48 AM.

I'm all for people having firearms for sport and even self protection, but for either activity, a fully automatic weapon for civilian use is over the top IMO. I can see the need if you're in law enforment or the military because you'll need that kind of firepower in a firefight.

But as civilians, when are we gonna get in a firefight? I can think of only one case, criminals shooting at the police. While it's true that criminals can have them converted to fully auto anyway but why make it easier for them? While it might be fun shooting a fully auto weapon, fun doesn't really justify them being legal for the general public.

Also not every government does the right things with it, for example the USA and Israel, but it would save quite some home-kills anyway...
    I am curious as to how Israel is mis-using it's military.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

For all the people thinking that full auto is such a bad thing, special liscencing from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be require. It's not like it's going to be easy to get and I probably won't even get one. It's pretty rare that a registered automatic weapon is used in a crime-they are usually smuggled into the country and sold illegally-"assault weapons" account for less than 2% of guns seized by the police

This legislation will ban both automatic and semi-automatic shotguns outright. The previous AWB only affected certain semi-automatic weapons. It makes more sense to just make it to just make so that you have to get a special liscence for those weapons as well.

The fact of the matter is that most of the qualifications that determine what is or is not a so-called assault weapon are cosmetic feature, which don't affect lethality. (e.g. pistol grips on shotguns and rifles and guns that are black monotone)

They are trying to make this proposed new awb more stringent than the last, and there is no need for that. The last AWB was very affective in lessening crime, there is no need for a more intrusive one.

If they are going to ban these guns, they, logically, would have to ban knives and blunt objects, which are used to maim or kill much more frequently, first.

Bills like this are about public perception, not facts.

All of the shotguns I am interested in would be banned, regardless of whether they are pump action, semi-automatic, or automatic. I guess I'll have to buy a sports car if this gets passed.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 02-24-2007 at 03:47 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Think about it, when you have guns available to people, it becomes easy to use. In anger one can easily grab their gun instead of using fists/whatever in which case you have a much larger chance to survive

1) you said weapons. you didn't specify knives, firearms, whatever, so since anything down to a ball point pen can be an effective weapon i guess if we stopped all factories producing 'weapons' worldwide industry would effectively grind to a halt.

2) yes. you know, i grab my guns every chance i get to use in a fight... You say guns become easy to use, whereas i doubt you've ever really handled a gun. This is the problem; Europeans have little use for guns, which is fine. However they then tell eevryone else to stop using them. This is like telling people to stop driving supercars because you can do fine with corolla's.
    sure..when it's not your hobby.

3) the vietnamese, the irish, and sudanese all were able to produce home made, single shot firearms to fight their invaders with. it hasn't occurred to you that criminals may continue to do this... hell, the irish made several homemade copies of the sten gun.

3) out o curioisty, how many times have you had a close call in a car or in traffic, and how many times have you had a close call with a gun...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

the irish made several homemade copies of the sten gun.
    I think it was Smith, of Smith and Wesson (S&W) that started building his first pistols and rifles out of things he found at home. This is a very good point - home-made things are not as effective, but people will go a hell of a long way when they need something.

Israel is a famous example - Before Israel was a country and after until they started to actually have a well developed military, they improvised to an extent that still outdoes the innovation they show today. They had virtually nothing, and what they got from other countries simply was too little. As an example, they found a Belgian made rocket-launcher tube - it wasn't functional anymore even, but the tube was still rigid. So, they made the world's largest field shotgun out of it
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

There are already far too many stupid people in the world. I say give out automatic weapons like candy. Darwin ftw.

Another thing... no one has the right to life. Tanstaafl. If you want to live you had damn well better earn it.

yep, since i was 12
    Careful now! You could poke someone's eye out with one of those things...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Careful now! You could poke someone's eye out with one of those things...
    you mean, be careful you almost spilled your beer?

Let's give every man, woman, and child on the planet a M4 with laser sights and 2 mags duct taped together. Then no one would **** with anyone else. Cause everyone would be packin'.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

This is the problem; Europeans have little use for guns, which is fine. However they then tell eevryone else to stop using them.
    sure..when it's not your hobby.
    Europeans have little use for guns?

Well, yes, apart from all the shooting that goes on, where a gun comes in quite handy.

In rural England on a Sunday you'll be doing well to find somewhere out of earshot of someone shooting at something; usually phesants etc.

There are quite a lot of people that do target shooting too.

Unfortunately, it is also becoming increasingly common for the sound of shots to be heard in city centres, and these usually aren't directed at game birds.

The Swiss are famed for their extraordinarily high rate of gun ownership, and we aren't talking about hunting either - they have the full on assault rifles (just in case anyone tries to test their neutrality.).

Having said that; I still don't see the need for guns as "self protection", or for "defending your home"; especially automatic rifles.

Thread Information