Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol vs. Diesel

Petrol vs. Diesel

Enjoy the read.

Quote Originally Posted by newspress.co.uk
    PETROL v DIESEL
    Fuel costs are the second largest consideration in a car’s whole-life cost calculation after depreciation, accounting for some 30 per cent of the total over a given mileage. Therefore, it is paramount that company car drivers choose a vehicle – and fuel – that works to get the most from their money.
    To address this thorny issue, Skoda has provided a series of guidelines for drivers to refer to when choosing a new vehicle. Martin Burke, Head of Business Sales for Skoda UK, comments: “Despite the onset of biofuel, most people still only consider the two serious challengers: petrol or diesel. This comprehensive set of guidelines sets out the benefits and downfalls of each, providing a vital tool for fleet managers and company car drivers alike.”
    The case for petrol
    Put simply, petrol is cheaper than diesel in a number of areas. Firstly, the initial purchase price of the fuel is significantly less than its rival. In addition to this, drivers of petrol cars can enjoy cheaper road tax as it has fewer toxic emissions, meaning it also boasts a cleaner engine. However, most importantly for many, petrol vehicles also have a lower acquisition price.
    Petrol cars also need less oil changes and are better for both extreme performance and stop-start journeys such as being stuck in traffic.
    The case for diesel
    So, it’s an open-shut case then, judging from the reasons above? After all, cheaper fuel, acquisition and road tax in exchange for better performance look impossible to better. However, in 2005, diesel took a record share of the market – 45 per cent of all vehicles. Such models get bad press for being noisy, smelly and slow off the mark. However, nowadays, they start faster, and are quieter and smoother than ever before.
    Diesel cars also provide significantly more miles to the gallon than their competitor and are best for frequent short journeys where the engine barely warms up. Company car drivers should note that
    diesel vehicles cost less in company car tax, while bosses will be glad to learn that they are more effective for medium and high mileage fleets.
    In spite of their generally higher acquisition pieces, diesel-fuelled vehicles sell for more and also comprise a strong fuel economy and low benefit in kind tax thanks to reduced emissions.
    Martin Burke continues: “It is clear from looking at the case for each, that there is no categorical right or wrong choice. Drivers must ask themselves which would better suit their circumstance. For someone travelling a relatively low annual mileage, a petrol-fuelled vehicle is clearly the better option. However, for drivers racking up a medium to high number of miles will be pleasantly surprised by the miles to the gallon a diesel provides.”

It seems like a good conclusion ! But what do you guys think ?

I'm in two minds. One says 1.8T. The other says 1.9TDi. I love the free-revving nature of petrol cars, and the intoxicating noise, but that's it- diesels are cheaper (better mpg), the mid-range torque is just awesome, and the tax band is much lower for CO2. A shame they sound like tractors and have limited power bands.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    I'm in two minds. One says 1.8T. The other says 1.9TDi. I love the free-revving nature of petrol cars, and the intoxicating noise, but that's it- diesels are cheaper (better mpg), the mid-range torque is just awesome, and the tax band is much lower for CO2. A shame they sound like tractors and have limited power bands.
    Well you shouldnt forget the easier driving in diesels. I hd never driven a petrol before i drove my dad's Citroen. It really took me a fw hours to get used to it ....

It was the other way round for me. I drove petrol, then diesel. The petrol seemed to be a better sporting option.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I've always been a proponent of diesels. Even over here in the US where diesels have largely been shunned, they're gaining a following if for no other reason than they use less fossil fuels, thereby conserving our reserves for as long as possible - one of the same reasons Hybrids are doing well here. I myself also like diesels for the torquey, low-revving running characteristics they provide.
    Last edited by jcp123; 03-08-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

This report is biased because it only takes into account figures and is aimed at reps. I'm not a rep.

And figures aren't everything.

Petrol ftw
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

this is one big can of worms, i'd like to avoid 'fan-ness' and say that we have already concluded the argument by saying it depends on your preference.

Exceptions? direct injection petrol are making more felxible torquey engines (albeit not as much in a peak sense) therfore engines like the 2.0TFSI are making an effort to reduce emmisions, better mpg and drivability. But at the same time diesels are moving the goal posts further....i still have a lot of faith in petrols.
    autozine.org

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Living in North America the alternative here has largely been to decreasing the size of petrol engines rather then increasing the usage of diseal. In Toronto I would say from my experience only 25% of gas stations actually carry diseal fuel making it much harder to find. The only diseals we have are the VW's, otherwise there are no major car companies that make good diseals for the North American market. I would say that it's highly unlikely that I will ever buy a diseal and everyone I know, everyone, family, friends, neighbours all drive petrol, so they would need to increase popularity before they expect it to take off here. In fact I have never ridden in a diseal but have very rarely noticed them drive buy on roads.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    otherwise there are no major car companies that make good diseals for the North American market.
    What is that you need that isnt been offered. I know GM, Toyota and Ford all have relatively good diesel engine ranges elsewhere.
    autozine.org

Cummins are a prime example!

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    What is that you need that isnt been offered. I know GM, Toyota and Ford all have relatively good diesel engine ranges elsewhere.
    Not to forget DaimlerChrysler,BMW and VAG.

Recently though i heard someone saying that petrol is almost at the highest level of development/efficinecy it can ever reach whilst diesel is only now starting that movement. Did you guys hear this ? Whats your views on it ?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Down here in Texas, I'd say 2/3 of the VW's I see are diesel...so there is a market in North America, but it's largely regional in nature and hasn't quite spread everywhere yet.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Not to forget DaimlerChrysler,BMW and VAG.

Recently though i heard someone saying that petrol is almost at the highest level of development/efficinecy it can ever reach whilst diesel is only now starting that movement. Did you guys hear this ? Whats your views on it ?
    I simply quoted the top 3 porducers in the world. Whats more significant is how these brands use thier subsidories in different parts of the world.

I can believe petrol is near the limit (its been long enough now) but i understand the biggest problem with increasing the thermal efficiency (about 35% -c.f. petrol at 25% (roughly)) of diesel (higher cr + mpg) is the nitrogen burns too at such high pressures creating dangerous nitrogen oxides - but as some will know bluetech (or something like that) deals with this in part. Also the higher stresses increase development+manufacture cost, weight, demand on tighter engineering tolerances and unreliability
    autozine.org

I'd actually love to have the option of seeing more diesels here, but unfortunately, the automakers don't feel like bringing them here.

I'm not really on a side.

BTW, are Hondas' diesels any good? I wish more automakers would introduce them to here.

Gas stations should stock more diesel also. They shouldn't ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    BTW, are Hondas' diesels any good? I wish more automakers would introduce them to here.
    Apparently the all-aluminium 2.2-litre diesel Honda is brilliant, at least according to reviews.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information