Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Maserati is hideous

I also agreee with Egg Nog. I personally really like the rear-3/4 but think the front looks too MC12 and the lights too Lexus. If they kept the front end looking more like a Ferrari-hybrid-Maserati look, I think this car would be totally sweet. The front grille and the shape of the hood around the grille is terrible, and the shapes of the headlights are all wrong.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    It's OK...I agree the grille is pretty bad, and I'd add that IMHO the wheel bulges and forward rake give it the general look of the new Mitsu Eclipse...not really the look you want to go for if you're either Pininfarina or Maserati. The rear roof's lines look good to my eyes, though.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    i still don't get it why they changed the rearlights when they made teh 4200GT...
    Clue:

The 3200GT wasn't sold in the USA

The 4.2 Coupe/Spyder/Granny Smith was.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I never really like any of them to be honest. They are all to bland and boring looking kinda like the old Jag XK's.

Those wheels are hideous though.
    Indeed. I find the whole package awkward and I'm sure they could have figured something better out than those chunky wheels.

And what is wrong with those rear lights? They look like gigantic hazard signals!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Maybe I'm just stupid old git with checkered trouses , but IMO original Giugario's design with boomerang rear lights looks ten times better than this.
    When I heard there was a new GT coming I secretly hoped they would make a comeback.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    It's got elements of the birdcage, and of traditional Maserati coupes, which is a hard thing to screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Apparently they did. I love the birdcage but I just don't see it in this.
    While reading this thread, I realized I wasn't thinking of the same Birdcage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    While reading this thread, I realized I wasn't thinking of the same Birdcage.
    I don't see any elements of Pininfarina's Birdcage in it either...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Rocke: It doesn't look anything like any Birdcage I know of. The fact that you bring up the Birdcage also shows that you're not really ignoring the badge at all. Even if it did recal historic lines, it's not a necessary or sufficient condition for it to look good. Pretend it's a new Hyundai concept, then look again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's utterly hideous. After the beautiful GranSport based on the 4200, they really ruined it. The Quattroporte isn't exactly the most beautiful saloon, but I like it. This is something else... just yuck... I agree with Eggy...

P.S. Does it remind anyone else of the RX8?

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Yeah, especially the fact that in both cases the predecessor was about a hundred times better looking.

I adree with you. it looks like a frog from the front, and the wheels look like they were taken off some $20,000 sedan. I agree with Egg Nog, they have done a pretty nasty job. The Ferrari 612 was ugly, but it is standable to a point. This is just hideous and cheap looking.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    I think it's utterly hideous. After the beautiful GranSport based on the 4200, they really ruined it. The Quattroporte isn't exactly the most beautiful saloon, but I like it. This is something else... just yuck... I agree with Eggy...

Yes, the Quattroporte looks a bit over inflated. It's bloated, but at least it's bearable. This isn't!

The RX-8 isn't as good looking as the RX-7's of any generation, but at least it isn't as ugly as this! Look at Matra's PZ! That thing is a beaut!

Oh, stop sucking up to Matra I do rather like the PZ, though. If you look at the front-end shot of this Maser, check out the rear of it... RX8 all over it...

Who said that was my motive?

Nothing like a bit of borrowing!

I guess you could say so because the rear windows are abbreviated, the headlights are slim and there are small rear seats. Nothing but pure ugliness could have come up with the brake lights and wheel design, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog View Post
    Rocke: It doesn't look anything like any Birdcage I know of. The fact that you bring up the Birdcage also shows that you're not really ignoring the badge at all. Even if it did recal historic lines, it's not a necessary or sufficient condition for it to look good. Pretend it's a new Hyundai concept, then look again.
    Silence jabroni.

Birdcage:

Coupe:

Me reckons they looksa similar with the treatment of the front, and the styling of older Maserati coupes mixed in. On a side note, I like how the number of opinions have changed from the original thread, they're all followers I tell 'ya!
    Last edited by Rockefella; 03-08-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Thread Information