Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo Spyder

Alfa Romeo Spyder

"Alfa Romeo has added a sporting 200-horsepower 2.4-liter turbo-diesel engine to its Spider, giving the 6-speed manual JTDM excellent power and torque with low fuel consumption.

The Spider JTDM will accelerate from zero to 62 mph in 8.4 seconds with a claimed average fuel consumption returns of 34 mpg. The 2.4 JTDM 20-valve engine was developed with Fiat Auto’s Mutijet system and includes a DPF (particulate trap) that eliminated fine dust from the exhaust and already meets the limits expected for future Euro 5 standards. A 5-cylinder with 4-valves per cylinder, the 2.4 JTDM develops 200 horsepower at 4000 rpm and 295 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm.

The traditionally elegant Italian design was penned by Pininfarina and Alfa Romeo Styling Center. The front reflects other current Alfa Romeo styling and the overall design is an evolution of Alfa Romeo sports cars from the past.
    The Selespeed transmission is a 6-speed mechanical transmission with an electromechanical system to operate the clutch and change gears. The transmission will operate in fully automatic mode or the driver can use the manual sequential mode and change gears either by using the gear lever or the paddles located behind the steering wheel. A sport mode reduces shift time by about 20 percent and in automatic mode raises the gear change points to higher rpm levels.

The Alfa 8C Competizione is featured at the Geneva Motor Show with new black bodywork to show the elegant and exclusive car that will soon go on sale to 500 carefully selected owners. The reservation and ordering process for 500 cars that will be produced has been completed."

source: http://autoshow.en.autos.sympatico.m...mentid=3853876

I like the last one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Alfa strikes me as one of the last car companies you'd want to buy a diesel with. Aren't they known for their cars being kind of bonkers and off the wall and a diesel just defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Alfa strikes me as one of the last car companies you'd want to buy a diesel with. Aren't they known for their cars being kind of bonkers and off the wall and a diesel just defeats the purpose.
    Take into account that here diesel is booming and that Alfa wants/needs desperately to make money... et voilà...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well, nowadays diesels are as good in performance as gasoline engines, but more environment friendly and durable. The only problem is they cost significantly more and with current prices you can't even it with cheaper fuel. (At least here in Poland diesel costs now as much as standard petrol).
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Totally agree. They should have one with rocket fuel and do 1L/2KM.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Totally agree. They should have one with rocket fuel and do 1L/2KM.
    Reality is not a concept you seem to understand very well.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

i haven't seem a new spider in reality yet, but on most pix and videos it doesn't look "complete". it's based on the brera, which looks truely wonderful, but the spider has something missing, not just the roof. and its proportions aren't the best, it's to short for how wide it is and for the hight of the wasteline. also the front-overhang (don't know if that's the correct word, i mean the part of body that's in front of the axle) is to long. it kinda remembers me of a gucci bulldog...

Quote Originally Posted by Mäusekino View Post
    i haven't seem a new spider in reality yet, but on most pix and videos it doesn't look "complete". it's based on the brera, which looks truely wonderful, but the spider has something missing, not just the roof. and its proportions aren't the best, it's to short for how wide it is and for the hight of the wasteline. also the front-overhang (don't know if that's the correct word, i mean the part of body that's in front of the axle) is to long. it kinda remembers me of a gucci bulldog...
    in short, it is a safety oriented, FWD motorcar with no roof.... and now available with a diesel engine too...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm very impressed. . This Alfa Romeo Spyder is quite beautiful and the 200-horsepower 2.4-liter turbo-diesel engine should ensure very good sales figures for this car. Also, is it just my imagination or has the rear of the Alfa Romeo Spyder been improved considerably... in terms of physical appearance?
    Last edited by john14; 03-12-2007 at 05:12 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Alfa's should be loud, light, agile and beautiful, with a singing engine.

This thing had 200hp (which is actually ok) and a 17xxkg++ weight (which is not good) and a diesel (which i doubt would sing)

At least it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    in short, it is a safety oriented, FWD motorcar with no roof.... and now available with a diesel engine too...
    Very un-Alfa...
    Visca Catalunya!

More choice is never a bad thing. IMHO 2.4 JTDM 5-cylinder is currently the best diesel engine in the world.

However, one thing that really puzzles me about Spider range is - why on earth does cabriolet need 4WD? I mean, nobody drives cabriolet in snowstorm, now do they. Alfa Romeo could easily loose 100...150 kg from top-of-the-range Spider by ditching 4wd system.

All the faults of Spider could have been avoided if AR had developed it as a stand-alone model instead of chopped Brera. But - then it would have been too perfect, wouldn't it?

Brera? - I'd say a 159 Hatch.
    Spyder? - I'd say a 159 Hatch Cabrio.

Their marketing's a bit too optimistic.

Imagine driving your 'Alfa Spyder', saw another one pulling up from your rear view mirror, and just as you thought of giving the "Hi pal ! " gesture.... it's actually someone in their late 60s in a a 159 1.9JTD SW. . . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Brera? - I'd say a 159 Hatch.
    Spyder? - I'd say a 159 Hatch Cabrio.

Their marketing's a bit too optimistic.

Imagine driving your 'Alfa Spyder', saw another one pulling up from your rear view mirror, and just as you thought of giving the "Hi pal ! " gesture.... it's actually someone in their late 60s in a a 159 1.9JTD SW. . . . ..
    You, sir, are way too pessimistic.

Cheer up!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    All the faults of Spider could have been avoided if AR had developed it as a stand-alone model instead of chopped Brera. But - then it would have been too perfect, wouldn't it?
    Well the fact that there was no money also played a part...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information