Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alfa Romeo Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    However, one thing that really puzzles me about Spider range is - why on earth does cabriolet need 4WD? I mean, nobody drives cabriolet in snowstorm, now do they.
    Why does any car need 4wd, since driving in a snowstorm is neither recommended or sensible, even in a capable off-roader?

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Why does any car need 4wd, since driving in a snowstorm is neither recommended or sensible, even in a capable off-roader?
    All right then, let me rephrase that.

Open topped cars are generally ment to be enjoyed in sunny weather (with a exception of British, who seems to think otherwise). In a normal driving environment, 4wd doesn't have any real advantage over 2wd, does it?

99 8Cs will be coming to the US.

Sadly I won't be able to buy one. (cries)
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    All right then, let me rephrase that.

Open topped cars are generally ment to be enjoyed in sunny weather (with a exception of British, who seems to think otherwise). In a normal driving environment, 4wd doesn't have any real advantage over 2wd, does it?
    I don't think putting 260bhp and 320Nm through the front wheels would be a clever idea...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Stand back, folks. In fact, go ahead and make yourselves a sandwich. A Subaru owner is about to start talking about AWD.

Sure, nobody 'needs' a four-wheel drive performance car, except maybe Petter Solberg. In normal driving conditions good ole' rear-wheel drive works a charm, and front-wheel drive, well, it tries its best with mixed results.

I actually had a soul-searching moment when I found out a few speed shops could do a permanent RWD conversion on my STi. For a price, I could turn my any road, any where, any time, make-it-look-easy sportscar into something rather more challenging and rewarding to fire out of a tight hairpin — you know, perfectly modulated throttle with the rear tires stepping those tantalizing few inches out of line from apex to exit — rather than a eye-widening, monsterous lunge to which the driver contributes little.

So, is AWD really all sound and fury, signifying nothing? Or is it really worth the extra weight and almost-unavoidable understeer bias?

Ultimately, since I am deep in hillbilly country and there are still many, many unpaved roads on which the STi is absolutely as fun as two panthers in a gunny sack — largely because of AWD, I decided to stick with it. FTW.

It's not as involving, and it's maybe not as fun at the end of the day, but I believe AWD has its place on certain cars. Purists turn white at its mention, but Lamborghini summed up the beauty of AWD in a pair of three foot long letters stuck to the side of one of their fastest Diablos: VT, vicious traction. That manic first-gear punt out of a tight corner (or a supermarket parking lot) just can't be matched by anything driving only a pair of its four wheels.

That being said, I'd hate to see a day where all the manufacturers thought AWD is a prerequisite for performance. 'Cause it's emphatically not.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Thread Information