View Poll Results: BMW or Benz?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW M5

    20 52.63%
  • Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

    14 36.84%
  • Teh Cadillac STS-V kicks their euro assez, American muscle FTW!

    4 10.53%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs. BMW M5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,176

    Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs. BMW M5

    Ok, here is a comparo, the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs the BMW M5.

    Mercedes-Benz

    MSRP * $84,600 - $85,400
    Invoice * $78,678 - $79,422
    Engine 6.2L V-8 507 HP
    Transmission 7-spd SPEEDSHIFT w/OD
    Fuel Economy City 14.0 mpg
    Fuel Economy Highway 20.0 mpg

    BMW M5

    5.0-liter V-10 engine producing 500hp, 383 lb-ft. torque (previous M5: 4.9-liter V-8, 394 hp, 368 lb-ft.)

    7-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG)

    6-speed manual transmission (no-cost option)

    Handling, ride & braking

    M Variable Differential Lock

    Specially modified and calibrated front and rear suspension

    Electronic Damping Control, BMW's system of electronically controlled suspension in a new and special BMW M version with three modes

    Special steering system, 'quicker' than that of the 5 Series and offering two levels of speed-sensitive power assist

    Compound, cross-ventilated disc brakes, BMW's largest-dimensional and most powerful ever

    19-inch alloy wheels with Z-rated performance tires in differentiated front/rear sizes

    BMW M-calibrated Dynamic Stability Control with selectable M Dynamic Mode

    MDrive, a submenu in the iDrive system that allows the driver to 'set up' his or her own preferred performance and handling settings for instant recall

    Me Personally, I perfer the E63. Now don't just say that because "Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!", I have a good reason.

    When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,072
    Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.
    I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

    But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,072
    I was thinking just the same thing, before I posted my glib reply. Prius, get a license and try out both the cars, then try that argument.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    By the way I'll have a CLS63 AMG, thank you.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Look at the flag!
    Posts
    705
    Well just to go back on topic here for a quick sec... I like both, but on other threads on this site, some people say BMW's dont have good style. Well that BMW M5 looks pretty damn nice to me. But my standards are also low.

    But I would have to go with the Mercedes, It is a nice car.

    Well back to thrashing!
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,176
    That is easier said than done.

    But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

    But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...
    I thought it was the E63. My mistake. Purely a mistake.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    That is easier said than done.

    But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
    Erm, no.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    That is easier said than done.

    But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
    When EVO tested the Maserati Quattroporte it beat the BMW M5 at the Bedford Autdrome. By that logic if you want a track car buy the big Maser.

    When I look a Mercedes-Benz E-class and a Maserati Quattroporte it's clear which is the more stylish and elegant.

    Maserati Quattroporte ftw.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,176
    Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.
    That's true. Hence the CLS.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    6,987
    Obviously the Cadillac is the only decent choice here.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Obviously the Cadillac is the only decent choice here.
    lolstfu fanboi




    This post probably warrants an infraction, but who cares.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.
    I know that. Jeremy Clarkson proved that. But then again, his test was flawed somewhat, as he used a NSXR in the game, and an Acura NSX in real life, which is consideriblly heavier.

    But I do know that GT is a bit dumbed down from real life, but as I said, I don't have a license nor do I have a fraction of the prices of both of those cars, so this is all I got. I knwo that it probably won't be exactly like what the cars are like in real life, but it is close, so I don't use it to make my full judgement.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Really useful performance listings...
    By Egg Nog in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  2. What BMW means??
    By Swissbeatz in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
  3. Mercedes AMG or BMW Motorsport?
    By Brabus in forum Car comparison
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 07:04 PM
  4. Mercedes E55 AMG - V.S. - BMW M5
    By CL 65 AMG in forum Car comparison
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •