Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best "Everyday" Car

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Mazda RX8, Style, performace, uber-coolness, space for 4 adults and a decent sized boot, fun to drive and good on your wallet in terms of depreciation etc.
    yes, yes, yes, definately ues, yes, yes, 100% YES and oops a HUGE no

Depreciation is not great on the rotaries because of lots of fears of the old problems. It's not terrible, but painful.

Fuel consumption ( well for us Europeans ) is terrifying with 12mpg when it's being pushed hard on the track. 25mpg on the motorway - not hanging about there either mind you

Oil consumption is a design factor of the engine and managed by the ECU.
    Potter around and it doesn't use much, push it hard and the ECU sprays the seals under heavy load.
    Comparing it with other cars, it is no worse than some others who do NOT inject it. I've added 1/2 litre and done 1200 miles, including bedding/running in and serious pushing at Prodrive
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

...and how's that for one hell of a quote? He even did it for me.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

HOLY CRAP! I didn't realise the Fuel Consuption was quite that bad, I thought they were doing quite well, when I got my Dad interested in them we looked at 2yr old 230ps??? models for still £20,000
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

yah i dont think rx8's are very good cars at all. thats not much better mileage than my suburban...and my suburban prolly weighs 2x more and it has a lot more power.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    yah i dont think rx8's are very good cars at all. thats not much better mileage than my suburban...and my suburban prolly weighs 2x more and it has a lot more power.
    Well, you have to remember that an RX8 is a sportscar and not a Corolla. Not really meant to get great mileage in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Well, you have to remember that an RX8 is a sportscar and not a Corolla. Not really meant to get great mileage in the first place.
    yeah definately i know sports cars and cars in general are all about tradeoff's, mileage vs power, price vs luxury, ect... but rx-8's arent even really that fast like a sports car should be i figure if you are gonna have sub par gas mileage the tradeoff you should be making should be for speed but in reality the rx-8 which makes a measly 230 hp and an even weaker 159 ft/lbs of torque should at least get great mileage due to its lack of power but it doesn't, it gets an epa estimated 18/24 mpg. compare that to a corvette which has 400hp/400 torque, and gets 18/28mpg or a 500hp z06 still gets 16/26 which is comparable to the rx-8 mileage wise but not even close hp wise.

i guess my point is that if i wanted a sports car for an everyday car i would rather have many other cars than an rx-8 because with an rx-8 you get the worst of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Fuel consumption ( well for us Europeans ) is terrifying with 12mpg when it's being pushed hard on the track. 25mpg on the motorway - not hanging about there either mind you
    i have heard that track milages are often worse than urban. makes sense, people just asume that urban is about as bad as it gets.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    yeah definately i know sports cars and cars in general are all about tradeoff's, mileage vs power, price vs luxury, ect... but rx-8's arent even really that fast like a sports car should be i figure if you are gonna have sub par gas mileage the tradeoff you should be making should be for speed but in reality the rx-8 which makes a measly 230 hp and an even weaker 159 ft/lbs of torque should at least get great mileage due to its lack of power but it doesn't, it gets an epa estimated 18/24 mpg. compare that to a corvette which has 400hp/400 torque, and gets 18/28mpg or a 500hp z06 still gets 16/26 which is comparable to the rx-8 mileage wise but not even close hp wise.

i guess my point is that if i wanted a sports car for an everyday car i would rather have many other cars than an rx-8 because with an rx-8 you get the worst of both worlds.
    I think you're missing the point of the RX-8, which is the fact that it has a rotary engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post

Brabus tuned Mecedes S600

Can be driven with lowish fuel consumption (but why?)
    seriously??

oh and one more word for you and your s-class.

parking
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    seriously??

oh and one more word for you and your s-class.

parking
    If an Audi A6 is troublesome I wonder how bad can a S-Class be...
    Visca Catalunya!

I'll vote for whatever Hyundai is calling it's midsized car these days. Cheap, reliable 7 year warrenty on engine + transmission and 5 years on everything else. What more could you want in a daily driver?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    I'll vote for whatever Hyundai is calling it's midsized car these days. Cheap, reliable 7 year warrenty on engine + transmission and 5 years on everything else. What more could you want in a daily driver?
    And the new Accent actually doesn't look that bad (I saw one today, by the way). But I'm not sure I could buy a korean car...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    Inspiration. I don't want to fall asleep during the commute, and if I did I'd be having nightmares about Hyundai's latest safety ratings. Euro NCAP have just finished slating their latest products, saying they are effectively dangerous. The KIA Cee'd is a MUCH better car in every way. I'm actually pleasently suprised with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Inspiration. I don't want to fall asleep during the commute, and if I did I'd be having nightmares about Hyundai's latest safety ratings. Euro NCAP have just finished slating their latest products, saying they are effectively dangerous. The KIA Cee'd is a MUCH better car in every way. I'm actually pleasently suprised with it.
    The Hyundai Accent hasn't been tested by EuroNCAP yet...

And Kia is owned by Hyundai.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Hyundai Accent hasn't been tested by EuroNCAP yet...
    I didn't mention the Accent specifically. I just pointed out that Hyundai's safety ratings of late have gone downhill. Hope it's not more-of-the-same for the Accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And Kia is owned by Hyundai.
    Why do you think I mentioned the Cee'd. If KIA can get it's act together, why can't it's parent company?

Thread Information