Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best "Everyday" Car

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Why do you think I mentioned the Cee'd. If KIA can get it's act together, why can't it's parent company?
    Well, don't worry soon in your nearest dealer the Hyundai cee'd will be available...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i vote lotus elise.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    seriously??

oh and one more word for you and your s-class.

parking

Yep you can chug along at really low revs (it kicks the Z06's ass when it comes to low end grunt (that would be low rpm power))

And parking isn't a problem when you can beat every car to the good parking spaces and push the odd car out of the way
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i vote lotus elise.
    Agreed, assuming you living the bachelor lifestyle...

cause you ain't carting 3-4 passengers plus baggage in a lotus elise.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Agreed, assuming you living the bachelor lifestyle...

cause you ain't carting 3-4 passengers plus baggage in a lotus elise.
    they can get their own lotus elise coz they aren't using mine!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If an Audi A6 is troublesome I wonder how bad can a S-Class be...
    Cars like the A6 need parking sensors as standard, we've had my Mum reverse ours into the Fence, my dad back in to a VW Polo etc...
    As for the S-Class, last summer during the Polo season we had an S500 parked... abandoned??? at an approx. 30degree angle in a space no bigger than a Golf sticking out into the road with one of the front wheels up on the pavement with a nice ticket stuck to the window I wonder why the council are ridding our town of Wardens...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Cars like the A6 need parking sensors as standard, we've had my Mum reverse ours into the Fence, my dad back in to a VW Polo etc...
    We don't have parking sensors and still haven't crashed into anything...
    Visca Catalunya!

We don't have parking sensors and still haven't crashed into anything...
    Me neither
    Though I have sensors now, but not on earlier cars..

Maybe their steering wheel is made of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    we learn how to drive......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Back on Topic...

...Why the hell have we got people suggesting S-classes etc. as "everyday" cars? The sort of person that owns one usually can't be described as your "everyday" sort of person.

You guys know what I'm trying to say so let's get back on topic...we can (and do) have discussions about the most comfortable continent crusher etc. anytime. I somehow though think this thread was designed to get us talking about the bread-and-butter cars that "Average Joe" would buy. We don't do enough of this as it is.

I mean, why not compare for example; the Vauxhall Astra SXi to the Ford Focus Zetec etc.? That's what I mean by an "everyday" car. I wouldn't even include so-called 'Premium Executives' like BMW 3-Series'.

I'll start us off with "small hatchback" cars, let's have a UCP "group review" of the following cars:

Alfa-Romeo 147
    Citroen C4
    Dodge Caliber
    Fiat Stilo
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    KIA Cee'd
    Mazda 3
    Nissan Almera
    Peugeot 307
    Renault Megane
    Seat Leon
    Skoda Octavia
    Toyota Corolla
    Toyota Auris
    Vauxhall / Opel (GM) Astra
    Volkswagen Golf

We need to be asking questions like: "What do we think of each and why?" / "Who's driven what?" / "What can you get for your money?"

Obviously I'm coming from a European angle, seeing as I live in the UK and that's what's available here. Non-Europeans may want to do something similar with their relative markets and models.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Out of those I'd personally choose the Citroen C4 with the 1.6 16v engine. It's cheap, quite fast for its engine and looks good.

PS Clivey, you might want to replace the Fiat Stilo with the new Bravo.
    Visca Catalunya!

PS Clivey, you might want to replace the Fiat Stilo with the new Bravo.
    That would be unfair, seeing as the new Bravo's not even out yet; people would be basing judgements on looks alone. Any details of the model and engine range? I'd heard that the higher performance versions would be small (1.6-litre) turbocharged motors, although if they use the 1.9JTD from the Grande Punto, they'll be onto a winner.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    That would be unfair, seeing as the new Bravo's not even out yet; people would be basing judgements on looks alone. Any details of the model and engine range? I'd heard that the higher performance versions would be small (1.6-litre) turbocharged motors, although if they use the 1.9JTD from the Grande Punto, they'll be onto a winner.
    Here you have the range:

http://www.km77.com/marcas/fiat/2007/bravo/gama/f02.asp
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we learn how to drive......
    My parents have been driving since the '80's but seeing everything that's behind you when backing an A6 around a corner down a bank isn't the easiest thing to do and same goes for our driveway which is VERY difficult to get in and out of and it's also VERY narrow too.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I doubt I will ever buy new again, too many dollars to drop. And too much cash 'invested' (cough cough) on a consumable item that can only vaporise in value before your eyes. The aspects of money, and value thereof, really strikes at the heart of 'everyday cars' because who wants to sink a motza on an everyday workhorse?

Similarly, individual motorists have individual prorities regards their preferences for an everyday transportation device - which also relates to various sets of requirements, applications and usage patterns

For example my personal wish list for an ideal new car for use 'everyday' ...

I do not need more than a 2-seater. Nor do I want a small car - it should be large and RWD. But travelling inexpensively also makes sense, as in Oz do vehicles with dual-fuel capability (petrol & LPG) being factory-fitted so that they retain their manufacturer's full factory warranty and support. I could not bring myself to buy a new car that does not have a manual transmission. There should be easy-driving torque plus sufficient power for fast highway overtaking. Flexibility and practicality is important to me because if I were to outlay a ton of my cash on a spiffy new car then it damn well better be 'jack of all trades' versatile for any day-to-day requirement I ask of it. Hence I want my ideal everyday car to have an ample carry area big enough to hold any household item, and preferably in a wash-out tray. It needs to have an LSD and be capable of towing a reasonable size/weight trailer. Also be suitable in performance, strength and ground clearance for long-distance touring or rough dirt roads etc - in short, to get me wherever I could reasonably expect to go. Lasting durability and good resale to extract the most from my cash outlay, plus the availability of cheap parts, accessible servicing and the lowest of insurance categories also make it on my everyday-car list

If it must be a new car then crunching my above mandate into automotive reality on a minimal spend leads me here
    http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Ho...Ute-3-6-VZ.cfm

Thread Information