Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Wheels 2007' Show & Shine car show

'Wheels 2007' Show & Shine car show

http://www.actmotorclubs.org.au/go/shannons-wheels-expo

A very hot day (well into the 30Cs) but otherwise clear skies and sunny weather in which to view the enormous number of entries, reputed to be around 1,000 vehicles of all descriptions

Please forgive my mediocre photography skills as we begin with some beautful 'Brass Era' Veterans

De Dion Bouton
    Attached Images Attached Images

Swift 1912
    Overland 1912
    Ford Model T (x2)
    Hupmobile (x2) very tasteful resto

Maxwell (antecedant of Buick)
    Peugeot modele 1905 500cc
    De Dion Bouton note the rear entry
    FIAT 1914 52B 2813CC 28hp (x3)

One of the charms of car events like these is meeting the proud owners, who can't resist walking up and voulunteering info to anyone who shows an interest in their machine. I spent a good 15 minutes chatting with an elderly gent regarding this FIAT. He enthused about the quailty engineering and design flair as evinced by its extensive use of lightweight aluminium componentry including (IIRC) for engine, gearbox & differential - not bad for 1914!

The lightweight Amilcar sports racer with wooden decked Boat Tail coachwork
    Frazer Nash (x2) featuring its famous chain drive
    Sunbeam (x2)
    The Sunbeam's owner was another very friendly chap who just walked up and started talking, kindly inviting me to sit in his car. A fascinating bloke originally from the Netherlands ("I been here fordy tree yeers") then after a while said he had 'something special' to show me and delved under the front seat of this Sunbeam, only to produce this incredible antique flintlock gun .. circa 1625

1929 Durant D66 or Six-Sixty-Six (x4) no doubt a rare car. William Crapo Durant was the business genius who founded General Motors

Dodge Brothers (x2) of the year preceding the Chrysler buyout. These were a well regarded machine. In the metal this car has a really pleasing style about it (not captured well in these pics alas) which was enhanced by a particularly sympathetic restoration. It represented itself just like a well kept original-build - not in any way overdone, overchromed or over-restored to the max with that modern overglossy and ill-befitting 'two pack' paint etc

This magnificent Packard (x4) with a 1934 Buick on the left in the rear pic. Note lovely styling detail in headlight lens & rim (pic #1)

Only slightly less imposing is this lineup of very attractive same-year Buicks (a Phaeton between two Roadsters) do you like the cute wind deflectors for the rumble seats?

1939 Buick Coupe (x2) shows its unusual 'insect' face. Their finely spaced grille filigree and mis-positioned opening meant these '39s were prone to overheating

Another 1939 Buick Coupe displays the optional and by then rare Six Wheel Equip aka Dual Sidemounts (twin external spare tyres) and by this time its easy to see the trouble designers were having in accomodating this feature into the shorter front ends as styling trends evolved. For Buick this would be about the final year for this desirable option

Great looking Nash with its funky closely-spaced headlights and towering chest-high bonnet. I liked its visage enough to attempt an 'arty' juxtapose against a '59 'king of the fins' Cadillac Coupe DeVille
    Last edited by nota; 03-13-2007 at 08:37 PM.

wonderful stuff....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Buick car club was out in force with many on display. I'll wrap up their depiction with the Special Coupe from 1941 (x3) imo one of Buick's best-ever years for styling

Dodge sedan from 1933 or thereabouts

The unique to Australia Holden-bodied Chevrolet Coupe Utility, this example one of 1484 built in Melbourne in 1940 on imported chassis. GM-Holden's passenger car-based coupe utilities were offered in Chevrolet and Pontiac versions and preceding the America's 1959 Chevrolet El Camino debut by many decades. They also sold Roadster Utilities. Holden began offering car-based Pontiac Coupe Utilites in 1929 and ceased with the 1953 Chevrolet, which was replaced by Holden's ute version of their own passenger car

I'll chuck in this 1952 Malvern Star bicycle with front suspension and also equipped with the interesting BSA 'Winged Wheel' a pinion-drive 35cc engine integral with the rear wheel. Adjacent to it is an unusual all-plastic Itera pushbike from Europe in the 1980s, apparently a flop in sales and function
    Last edited by nota; 03-11-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Bentley heralds a change of flavour into a sample of the huge British contingent. I'm unsure what specific model ..?

Even more truck-like is this 1953 Albion Ant, once a common sight and I have driven similar

Yes it's a genuine 1948 Land Rover 80" their first year of production. Hopefully my pics (x2) hint at the faultless restoration of this example, it was simply superb. Early L/Rs were extremely popular in Australia in the 1950s & '60s, before the japanese 4X4 onslaught. Of special interest is that very early Land Rovers like this 1948 feature a form of 'constant' all wheel drive - they do not offer the choice of 2WD or 4WD

Aston Martin twincam exposed, forgot which model ..?

The wonderful Bristol 403
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    wonderful stuff....
    Thank you

Wow, just wow

Fantastic.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A mix from the Fifties beginning with the mighty Hillman Husky

This unrestored Austin Hampshire A70 still in good original condition and wearing 'period style' wintertread tyres. Rust is no problem in dry inland Australia (very low humidity) even long-term, and no road salting in winter

Poor long-distance pic shows just some of the big Armstong Siddeley lineup

Some Froggies (x3) for Ferrer, opening with the Peugeot 203 Van, then the replacement model the 403 van with 203 sedan on the right. Last pic the 403 underbonnet featuring their nicely presented hemi-head 4cyl, with what looks like a neat drilled cover for the voltage regulator
    Last edited by nota; 03-12-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Apologies for decapitating the first of these Renault 4CV (x2) here better known as the Renault 750. I always wanted one of these charmers

Aussie built Ford Mainline Coupe Utes (x2) of the early to mid 1950s followed by similar era Holden FJ ute

Old Holdens with the above FJ ute at left, then a 1966-67 HR Special, the 1956-57 FE Special and rear of 1953-56 FJ Special sedan

Locally built mid '50s Dodge Kingsway badge with unusual 'Crusader' ensignia attached, I've never seen that model ID before - any info or clues?

Chrysler Australia could not afford to keep retooling their low-volume sellers to keep pace with the constant yearly US model changes so they replaced their identical-bodied rebadge lineup of Dodge Kingsway/Desoto Diplomat/Plymouth Cranbrook with one model, the unique to Oz 1957-62 Chrysler Royal. These befinned monsters still used the old style P-25 body mid-section (eg Dodge Kingsway etc) but were tarted up with a mishmash of later-model US mudguards, lights, trim and anything else Chrysler could lay their hands on in an attempt to created to create the illusion of a completely new design, the Royal AP1. There were three AP (eg Australian Production) model-series, eventually in three bodystyles - Royal sedan, Wayfarer ute and the super rare Plainsman wagon. This particular sedan pictured is the 2nd of the three AP model-series and thus designated AP2, which were famous for featuring an additional set of towering fiberglass fins which rode atop the metal originals. Believe it of not these extra fins were supposedly a 'mandatory option' or somesuch, and I've never seen AP2s denuded of their secondary layer of fins. Those interested can use "wayfarer' to UCP search for my pic of the excellent AP3 ute version. Btw I once had an AP3 V8 in black, these had the super kitch triple-rocket tail-lights

Veedubs galore, an early Karmann Ghia and Kombi

Somebody's idea of a Morris Minor
    Last edited by nota; 03-13-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Into the Sixties with this tidy HR Holden Special (x2) it's powered by the 126hp 186cid OHV I-6 and delightful Three On The Tree gearshift. Optional was a twin-carby 'X2' version with 140hp, the intro of LSD and fragile four-on-the-floor gearbox supplied by Opel. Don't you miss those starkly bare albeit chromey dashboards with the sharp metal edges?

Same era but in sharp contrast to our tough but primitive HR is this neat Renault 16, an advanced and highly versatile car which debuted in 1965. Unlike the sparse Holden the Renault had standard equip like cornering and brakes, although lean-angles were similar in both cars

This fully restored Tatra 603 was probably the same one recently sold for surprisingly little at auction in Sydney
    Rear-engined air-cooled hemi-head V8
    Last edited by nota; 03-12-2007 at 03:33 AM.

Thread Information