Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Wheels 2007' Show & Shine car show

A very interesting car indeed is this Prince Skyline from approx 1967 or so. From my long past and fading memory it's likely to be one of the now exceptionally rare GTA or GTB homologation specials that were built for Japanese production-car racing, also retailed and campaigned in Australia by Prince especially for the big endurance events like the Surfers Paradise 12 Hour, Bathurst 500 and Sandown 12 Hour. These cars featured a 5-speed transmission and IIRC were capable of around 125mph. Check those 6V triple carbies plus the battery mounted inside the boot which is also stuffed with a big long-range tank fed by a special filler. This local Canberra car presents as a great piece of 1960s production racing history and is in truly as-new showroom condition
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 03-11-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Into the early 1970s and another japanese 6cyl sedan is this (x2) Toyota Crown. Despite the weird (but now interesting) styling this particular model generation was reasonably popular here when new but oddly they've all seemed to disappear and are now a very seldom seen vehicle, while the earlier version of Crowns are much more prevalent. Even less common is the dramatically styled pillarless coupe variant. Perhaps the survivors have all been shipped back off to japan as has been the fate of many old Oz-sold jappers. This example was quite tidy and apart from the mags and Supra 5-speed it looked to be a pretty original old car, was for sale @ $3,500 ono with 'tons of spares'

Third and final model of the first generation is this 1970-71 HG Holden Monaro GTS 350 with 2-speed powerglide. Not exactingly original but a neat example nevertheless. These early Munros had good success in production-racing and bring serious money today especially the big 350 V8 manuals with long-range tank

Holden's opposition the much loved 1971 XY model Ford Falcon GT featuring 351 Cleveland V8 power and its famous Shaker protruding through the bonnet (in shadow unfortunately). Most believe the XY is the best of all Falcon GT models, a great allround family/touring sedan with the big 163 litre petrol tank and power to burn

Well there were hundreds of other fascinating bits of machinery to see but this is the point where my camera cried enough and I was fortunate to snap this fantastic little Elfin Clubman. I was initially attracted by a brutish looking '72 XA Falcon GT parked off in the distance, only to wander over and realise it was playing mere towmaster to the Clubman. With Oz-made Elfin now celebrating their 50th anniversary this is obviously a very early model, it looked ace and amazingly includes the original canvas roof

Hope you found my thread of interest and thanks for looking!

Brilliant thread and pics nota
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

love the pics Nota, and thanks for the descriptions since i'd have no idea otherwise..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    The wonderful Bristol 403
    the license plate reads 401, and probably with a reason
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A very interesting car indeed is this Prince Skyline from approx 1967 or so. From my long past and fading memory it's likely to be one of the now exceptionally rare GTA or GTB homologation specials that were built for Japanese production-car racing, also retailed and campaigned in Australia by Prince especially for the big endurance events like the Surfers Paradise 12 Hour, Bathurst 500 and Sandown 12 Hour. These cars featured a 5-speed transmission and IIRC were capable of around 125mph. Check those 6V triple carbies plus the battery mounted inside the boot which is also stuffed with a big long-range tank fed by a special filler. This local Canberra car presents as a great piece of 1960s production racing history and is in truly as-new showroom condition
    the original predecessor of the Skyline GTR
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Great stuff Nota. Especially the older pre-50s stuff which I have limited knowledge of.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Great write as usual nota, top stuff d00d. I was there as well, however my photos aren't really of any of the old classic stuff, more the really shiny stuff.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Great write as usual nota, top stuff d00d. I was there as well, however my photos aren't really of any of the old classic stuff, more the really shiny stuff.
    A warm thanks to you and those other fellow UCP'ers for the kind words, it really is appreciated

As far as I'm concerned you're welcome to blast away with your later model pics and enhance this thread - go for your life mate!

A warm thanks to you and those other fellow UCP'ers for the kind words, it really is appreciated
    No probs dude, are you going to be attending Auto Italia?

As far as I'm concerned you're welcome to blast away with your later model pics and enhance this thread - go for your life mate!
    Cool dude, I'll do that then
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Lotus 7, turbo rotary Lotus 7, 350 Chev powered Volvo 242, Alpine GTA, AC Cobra
    – Hunter Thompson

Turbo-rotary Holden Gemini, BMW M3, Holden Torana SL/R5000, Holden Monaro GTS, Holden EH
    – Hunter Thompson

Chrslyer Valiant Regal, Mercedes-Benz Lowrider, Leyland P76, HDT VH Commodore
    – Hunter Thompson

Holden Torana SS Hatchback, Holden Torana GTR, Holden VK Commodore
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information