Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mercury could be facing the Axe

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Jill Wagner. Hard to find pics but she looks really hot in the commercials.. these pics don't do justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    Yep, but when it comes to the big three, when a brand isn't competitive anymore, they discontinue it instead of selling it. Like with Oldsmobile. I bet that if GM wanted to sell Oldsmobile, Ford or Chrysler would have bought them, rejovinated them, and they would still be around and will still be competietive in teh marketplace, but GM instead just killed them. So, if Ford is to get rid of Lincoln, they wont' sell them, they will kill them.
    The commercial is begging for a sniff petrol remake.

As for you, Prius, they won't sell the company because NOBODY will buy it.

It's like Honda buying Lexus, It's not gonna happen because it will cause too much confusion for buyers and kill the image of both.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    Yep, but when it comes to the big three, when a brand isn't competitive anymore, they discontinue it instead of selling it. Like with Oldsmobile. I bet that if GM wanted to sell Oldsmobile, Ford or Chrysler would have bought them, rejovinated them, and they would still be around and will still be competietive in teh marketplace, but GM instead just killed them. So, if Ford is to get rid of Lincoln, they wont' sell them, they will kill them.
    Contrary to popular belief closing down a bramd costs money. In many cases that's why even when a particular brand is losing money or having poor sales they don't fold it because the cost of closing it is just greater than the cost of maintaining it around. This is the case for Mercury now and was back in 2002/3 for Lancia.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Like you wouldn't? Come on, it's a job. I would bleed my hart out for a Ssangyong for the right price.
    Notice the smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Notice the smiley.
    I am immune to smiley's.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

not to bring back a dead thread, but I find this topic particularly interesting

I really think the only way to keep Mercury around would be to totally re-invent it.
    Rather than re-badge US-market Fords, I think Mercurys should be re-badged Euro and Aussie market Fords.
    Kind of like how GM's Saturn is going to sell re-badged Opel/Vauxhauls for the US market.

Imagine Mercury versions of:
    Focus CC
    Focus ST / XR5 Turbo (or maybe even the upcoming Focus RS?)
    S-MAX (TDCi?)
    Falcon XR6 Turbo (maybe even an FPV-sourced model?)

...maybe they could have a theme of all turbocharged cars

A re-badged Mondeo ST would be nice too... but I don't know if there would enough room for it... seems like it would be too close to the Volvo S40/S60 and Jag X-Type... whereas a Mercury-badged XR6T would steal some sales from the Charger/Chrysler 300/Pontiac G8...

I would rather see an X-Type with AWD and the 250hp turbo 5-banger than a Mercury Mondeo.

but speaking of Jag, now that Ford PAG has dropped Aston Martin, that should leave Jag some room to move upmarket with perhaps a new Daimler model??? perhaps take the aston V12 and put it under the hood, erm, bonnet of the XJ.

Thread Information