Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: red rear turn signals

hmm if you could get the pics up I could tell you wether it was a normal quattro or an S2. I have one of each and tis quite simple to see the difference if you know what you're looking for.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    hmm if you could get the pics up I could tell you wether it was a normal quattro or an S2. I have one of each and tis quite simple to see the difference if you know what you're looking for.
    I'm betting on normally aspirated five cylinder Quattro. IIRC those were the ones homologated for rallying.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've seen S2's used in rallying too. Not sure which championship/class but I know for a fact they were used.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    I've seen S2's used in rallying too. Not sure which championship/class but I know for a fact they were used.
    Probably not homologated as FIA Group A cars. Well at least 80/90 saloons and the Coupe Quattro (KV) 2.2-litre normally aspirated variants.
    Visca Catalunya!

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    The coolest turn signals have got to be sequential turn signals, even if they do use the brake lights.

From Wikipedia:
    Sequential turn signals were factory fitted to Ford Thunderbirds built between 1965 and 1971, inclusive, to Mercury Cougars between 1967 and 1973, to Shelby Mustangs between 1968 and 1970, and to 1969 Imperials (built by Chrysler). No other production cars were so equipped, initially due to the cost and complexity of the system. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, which regulates automotive lighting, was amended to require that all turn signal lamps operate in synchronized phase, thus prohibiting sequential turn signals.

There are kits available for later models, like the '85-'88 Thunderbird in the animated gif I've attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

reading from wikipedia, it mentions that most countries outside N/A requires amber on all turn signals... so this begs even more question as to WHY ON EARTH do the manufacturers redesign them to red in N/A, while they have yellow on other parts of the worlds already??? so they're actually spending money to make them worse???

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    The coolest turn signals have got to be sequential turn signals, even if they do use the brake lights.

There are kits available for later models, like the '85-'88 Thunderbird in the animated gif I've attached.
    Sequentials are worth mentioning and I'd read through this thread hoping that no-one yet had, only to have you write about them in the very last post I came across! The sequentials of early T-Birds are especially attractive to watch, in that the full section of the lens lights up as the illumination drifts across it

Sequentials are illegal here and registration will be refused until they are removed. And likewise for indicators that use the red brake lights, as a separate amber light is required for the rear

One of my pet hates is the recent trend towards clear front indicator lenses, not amber, which show no colour until illuminated (so you don't know exactly where to look until they light up)

Even worse are those clear lens indicators on the front that illuminate with white light not amber. They're usually located right next to or within the headlight bucket and if the headlghts are being used it can be very hard to discern if the indicator is lighting up (day or night) against the much more powerful glow of the headlight itself

Indicators are aka flickers here. When very young my nephews and nieces used to call them 'the tick-tacks' because of the sound they make

Just wondering, but what do you guys think of LED's in the brake lights ? I personally find them quite annoying to drive behinf, especially in the dark. They really give a bad reflection on my night-driving glasses... Normal ones are clear enough for me, so why oh why then ...?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Just wondering, but what do you guys think of LED's in the brake lights ? I personally find them quite annoying to drive behinf, especially in the dark. They really give a bad reflection on my night-driving glasses... Normal ones are clear enough for me, so why oh why then ...?
    They're a lot better, no question. They use less energy, never stop working, and they come on instantly.

That last point might not sound like much, but that 0.2 seconds could mean several metres difference if that annoying car you mentioned ever needs to make an emergency stop.

From what I've seen I'm not such a fan of LED brake lights. After hearing about them I was expecting a big improvement. But the ones I've seen so far have been a definate retrograde step as far as aesthetics go, and they also seem quite pale in bright sunshine. Even in darker conditions the illuminated area of red seems really small - just some tiny dots of light floating within a dark dull nacelle

Traditionally lit lenses can be really beautiful when illuminated (I could cite some outstanding examples) and even when unlit they add a visual highlight to design while still managing to blend in to the overall. But not the LEDs I've seen, which are of the chintzy 'clear light' school of design unsubtlety (eg Tokyo By Night) so I hope they evolve further into something more integral and more attractive. Frankly I'm already tired of them, along with the overly busy & excessively detailed styling their usage has seemed to engender

You know what I hate ? Those orange lights on top of the BMW 5-series headlamps. It looks like they have their turn signals on (or somehow stuck) but they don't. It's like some sort of refelector. It's incredibly dangerous IMHO.
    The weird thing is that not all 5-series have it.

Almost as dangerous as the red American turn signals.

I've attached a pic of a 5-series where I painted over to show the place of the orange reflector thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    You know what I hate ? Those orange lights on top of the BMW 5-series headlamps. It looks like they have their turn signals on (or somehow stuck) but they don't. It's like some sort of refelector. It's incredibly dangerous IMHO.

I've attached a pic of a 5-series where I painted over to show the place of the orange reflector thing.
    Isn't that something to still shine forward for the oncomers, when the lights are of the Citroen-type ?

That atleast is the most logical explanation I can imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post

Can't say I've notice that, although with BMW 5-series styling the best I can manage is to glimpse at one briefly, then turn away before my eyeballs shrivel

In similar vein but complete opposite to your BMW problem are these front indicators fitted to 1969-71 Chrysler Valiants. Notice they ride directly atop the headlights? Now try to imagine how invisible they are in glaring Aussie sun - because the surface area of the lens is virtually horizontal rather than a vertical face. They were especially hard to discern on shiny white Valiants like this 1969 VF Regal sedan pictured, and when lit-up simply blend into the white background. It's almost as bad at night because they get eclipsed by the headlight glare

They doubled as parking lights and the only good thing about them was when driving in heavy rain with the lights on. The water pooled in the lens recess, and the droplet stream flying off became illuminated sorta like a lava lamp and it all looked really spacy, man
    Last edited by nota; 03-15-2007 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Correction, IS. Picked it up from my dad's friend's house yesterday. Speaking of which, they were prepping an Audi for rally next season. Have pics on my cell phone that I'll upload later because I'm curious as to which Audi it is.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! IT LIVES ON!!!

Look forward to the pics too.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog View Post
    They're a lot better, no question. They use less energy, never stop working, and they come on instantly.

That last point might not sound like much, but that 0.2 seconds could mean several metres difference if that annoying car you mentioned ever needs to make an emergency stop.
    And they look good.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information