Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 car round the Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    nice clip too. shame it wasn't onboard but I'm guessing that they were still this big back then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Remeber the 70's Le Mans movie, there was a Porsche 908 with 3 cameras onboard that still managed to finish...
    For barely related trivia the world's first ever onboard live-to-air race telecast was done in 1979, in this race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvWFMOF7CWU

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    For barely related trivia the world's first ever onboard live-to-air race telecast was done in 1979, in this race

I guess getting a camera inside a touring car is much easier than on a sportscar...

By the way, what about this? It's from 1973 according to title, and there's also an on-board camera...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Superb.
    Didn't Bathurst also innovate with the movable in-car cameras and the real-time driver comments on the straight ?
    I remember loving the first time I saw an in-car camera track an overtaking car
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I guess getting a camera inside a touring car is much easier than on a sportscar...

By the way, what about this? It's from 1973 according to title, and there's also an on-board camera...
    Yeah but it's movie, not live broadcast.
    In-car "film" footage exists long before that too
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Onboard .. but not live. I've got video of similar Bathurst footage shot from a 1965 Triumph 2000 in practice, but again not live to air

From the description for that video
    Race cam as we know it , started in 1979 when Channel 7 beamed live pictures from the Peter Williamson Toyota Celica during the great race. However in 1973 Screen sound Australia Mounted a 16mm movie camera into a HQ holden and caught the following excellent footage.
    Channel 7 in Melbourne invented racecam and that in-car footage was the first ever to be shown live from inside a racecar, during a race

Btw in your 1973 clip if you're wondering, the camera-car is a Holden Monaro GTS 350 sedan (don't you love that looong travel gearshift towards the end) and the cars you mostly see him dicing with are Valiant Charger Hemi-6s. Notice even in the 1979 clip all those trees close to the track edge and a distinct lack of safety fencing pretty much anywhere on the circuit including 160mph Conrod Straight!

Hard to believe now but I went to the '74 Bathurst 1000

Btw in your 1973 clip if you're wondering, the camera-car is a Holden Monaro GTS 350 sedan (don't you love that looong travel gearshift towards the end) and the cars you mostly see him dicing with are Valiant Charger Hemi-6s. Notice even in the 1979 clip all those trees close to the track edge and a distinct lack of safety fencing pretty much anywhere on the circuit including 160mph Conrod Straight!

Hard to believe now but I went to the '74 Bathurst 1000
    Yup it's brilliant. After that I saw the film of the 1987 Commodore v M3 and what a fight...

Didn't know Australia had such great racing
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Superb.
    Didn't Bathurst also innovate with the movable in-car cameras and the real-time driver comments on the straight ?
    I remember loving the first time I saw an in-car camera track an overtaking car
    Yeah its great stuff and glad you liked it

All of those innovations debuted and flowed from Channel 7's Bathurst racecam, including cricket's much later 'stumpcam' etc etc. Sadly for Channel 7 they stupidly failed to secure their technology and racecam was soon usurped by media the US

Ever seen Oz's Dick Johnson when he was used to usher in the introduction to American viewers of racecam during a US Nascar race in the early 1980s? DJ briefly raced a Thunderbird in the US and so was recommended to the yanks for the intro deal because he had already proven himself in Oz to have no trouble chatting away while racing in Oz

Firstly you hear the US commentator announce dramatically ...

"And now we go LIVE to Dick Johnson on this wonderful new innovation .. rrracecam!"

The very next thing you see and hear is a through-the-windscreen shot as DJ immediately on his first televised word screams out a gutteral "FAAAAARRRRKKKK!!!!" at the top of his lungs as he understeers off the track and goes in heavy into an earthen embankment ...

Then silence .. followed by a very sober yank voice "We apologise to the viewers at home as we are experiencing some difficulty with our transmission" says the commentator in max damage-control, obviously stunned

They tried Dick again later in the same race, also totally live, as DJ gets a hard time from veritable Nascar god Richard Petty

"WHO'S THAT PRICK?" barks Johnson over the in-car audio. Oh my ... lucky he wasn't lynched by the good ol' boys. Those syrupy yank telecasters had never heard anything like Super Dick in full race 'mode' before. And yes, he never graced their screens again

(its all true, I saw it myself & it was hysterical, they replayed in on the local news here and even the newsreaders cracked up)
    Last edited by nota; 03-16-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Happened yesterday...

But it was much more of a marketing gimmik than a real sporting effort. Apparently Heidfeld lapped in 8.34. The car had higher ride (4 cm at the front and 8 at the back), shorter gearbox and unusually hard tires; but worst of all it was required to slow down to let a photo car catch up.

The be honest I don't know if that includes the F1 race track, but for heaven sakes!, the Radical lapped the ring in 6.55.

This seems like having a damn good tequila shot (no Jose Cuervo here, think Patron or Herradura) watered down to a full glass! So here goes thanks, but no thanks to BMW...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    Happened yesterday...

But it was much more of a marketing gimmik than a real sporting effort. Apparently Heidfeld lapped in 8.34. The car had higher ride (4 cm at the front and 8 at the back), shorter gearbox and unusually hard tires; but worst of all it was required to slow down to let a photo car catch up.

The be honest I don't know if that includes the F1 race track, but for heaven sakes!, the Radical lapped the ring in 6.55.

This seems like having a damn good tequila shot (no Jose Cuervo here, think Patron or Herradura) watered down to a full glass! So here goes thanks, but no thanks to BMW...
    Yeah, I skimmed over an article stating some of the above earlier. Apparently Quick Nick wasn't allowed to traverse the infamous 'Karussell' corner so I believe an alternative route was planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Yeah, I skimmed over an article stating some of the above earlier. Apparently Quick Nick wasn't allowed to traverse the infamous 'Karussell' corner so I believe an alternative route was planned.
    Nick was a bit disappointed that they wouldn't allow him to run as fast as he could.

I don't understand why anyone is "disappointed" that they weren't going for a record-breaking time.

The car is not designed for the quite marked elevation changes, cambers and high kerbs found on the Nordschleife.

Heidfeld himself admits he has only driven the circuit a couple of times in a road car, and "a bit on the computer".

Furthermore; "Obviously, there's no grip" from the Bridgestone demonstration tyres.

An inexperienced driver, with no grip and a car that may behave unpredictably when it encounters something not in its usual repertoire of super-smooth Tilke-tracks, going for the record?

Going into the barriers backwards at high speed more likely.

Not much of a PR coup for BMW to have a few million Euro's worth of car and driver smeared across the track in small bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Pitpass has an aerial photo showing the car doing the corner, but on the outside, not on the heavily slanted cement portion.
    Zag when they Zig

Short video HERE
    It includes some shots from the camera car.

I was there last week, the sound of that BMW F1 running over the old GP circuit was absolutely fantastic! Heidfeld did 3 complete laps of the old Nordschleife and new GP circuit linked together which included the karussel

I was actually on top of the Nürburg Castle the first time the helicopter shot video footage of it, unfortunatly they made another fly by after me and my friends left and so i'm not in the video

About 50.000 people where at the ring that day, also to watch the VLN race.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Heidfeld himself admits he has only driven the circuit a couple of times in a road car, and "a bit on the computer".
    i'm sure i read somewhere that Heidfeld quite often drives the BMW ring taxis when he's on off days.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Thread Information