Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 car round the Nurburgring

F1 car round the Nurburgring

How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

That should be a great sight to see, providing all goes well. Can't imagine him pushing the limits too far though, modern F1 cars just aren't designed for those sorts of bumps and cambers. Good luck to him though! Heidfeld grew up in the area and used to go with his dad to spectate on the Nordschleife as a kid, so he should know his way round well enough.

On a related note, I found a vid on Youtube the other day of a full lap of the 1975 German GP taken mostly from a helicopter camera. Spectacular stuff - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdUinKKQCeE
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 03-16-2007 at 09:38 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Even though F1 cars ain't built to take on the Nordschleife, I hope he breaks the lap record (official 6'25", and unofficial 6'11") to show the supremacy of today's F1 cars, even if it means beating the time of one of my favourites, the 956.

Jack, you are more of an expert on this than I am, will he break the 6 min barrier or is the performance going to be worse than I expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Jack, you are more of an expert on this than I am, will he break the 6 min barrier or is the performance going to be worse than I expect?
    I'm no expert but I'm thinking it'll be close. Like Jack brought up, the bumps/hills and extreme camber of some of the turns (carousel anyone?) might prove difficult for BMW engineers to figure out and set-up accordingly. Plus, I doubt Heidfeld would take the n'ring at full speed, risking a big crash in front of a large media outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I'm no expert but I'm thinking it'll be close. Like Jack brought up, the bumps/hills and extreme camber of some of the turns (carousel anyone?) might prove difficult for BMW engineers to figure out and set-up accordingly. Plus, I doubt Heidfeld would take the n'ring at full speed, risking a big crash in front of a large media outlet.
    I dunno. I could really see him push it to at least get the track record. It's his homeground + 24 years of technological advantage over the 956 should mean easy victory - but he may have to push hard if the setup can't to be too good. Surely if they are gunning for the lap record they'll want it to last, and with some practice, I can see not too much danger. Nick is ok quick!

I would imagine Heidfeld will be taking the route that includes a large portion of the modern GP track which is common practice for racing at the 'Ring these days. That would make time comparisons difficult as it probably adds more than a minute to the time of the "true" Nordschleife on which the old records were set.

And as Rocke' says, an F1 car should be able to go much faster, whether Heidfeld would actually WANT to on what is basically a demonstration run is another matter. He won't be risking either himself, the car, or the company's pride for the sake of a record IMO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

UNles they have compeltely redesigned the suspension geometry then it will be quite slow (for an F1 car).
    The 'ring is rough and many corners have very nasty bumps.
    So they will have to raise it white a bit and soften it out. THEN roll will be an issue and the effect on the geometry especially.
    So I think it will be fast but two options.....
    If BMW invest then they will get a little faster than current record ( within 10-15 secs).
    If BMW don't make major changes then it will be about the same time.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    That should be a great site to see, providing all goes well. Can't imagine him pushing the limits too far though, modern F1 cars just aren't designed for those sorts of bumps and cambers. Good luck to him though! Heidfeld grew up in the area and used to go with his dad to spectate on the Nordschleife as a kid, so he should know his way round well enough.

On a related note, I found a vid on Youtube the other day of a full lap of the 1975 German GP taken mostly from a helicopter camera. Spectacular stuff - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdUinKKQCeE
    I've read a piece in CAR some time ago where he drove a journo round in one of the m5 'ring cars. Apparently he was quite fast

nice clip too. shame it wasn't onboard but I'm guessing that they were still this big back then...

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    nice clip too. shame it wasn't onboard but I'm guessing that they were still this big back then...
    Remeber the 70's Le Mans movie, there was a Porsche 908 with 3 cameras onboard that still managed to finish...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Remeber the 70's Le Mans movie, there was a Porsche 908 with 3 cameras onboard that still managed to finish...
    like this?

Attached Images Attached Images

I know it's not a Porsche 908, but more like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I know it's not a Porsche 908, but more like this...
    so my over-the-top 2min photoshop was actually quite close

Well all I know is that I am really looking forward to some videos of this lap after it happens. I hope he does more than one lap, so that maybe he could give some go after a couple warm ups.

Heidfeld likes to do one-off with his F1 as I see. He drove the F1.06 on the snow last year in Switzerland. I love BMW for doing crazy thing. I'm looking forward for that lap on the Nordschleife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NpjUjTFJxc
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Heidfeld likes to do one-off with his F1 as I see. He drove the F1.06 on the snow last year in Switzerland. I love BMW for doing crazy thing. I'm looking forward for that lap on the Nordschleife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NpjUjTFJxc
    Traction control going mental ! Just listen to the engine sound, it's like continually on !

Thread Information