Thread: Scalextric Renunion

Scalextric Renunion

After a long, boring night trying to find a certain Audi on eBay, I got hotlinked to a Scalextric A4 BTCC in a 'Similar Items' vein at the bottom... yes, stupid, I know.

But I decided to get myself a track and some cars to play with. I'm glad I started doing it again- my last set was one from the 1960s! This one is 1992, an XR2i Challenge one or something, and I bought a few track upgrades. As well as two cars- a Porsche Boxster, which is stupidly fast, and an A4 Quattro BTCC, which is giggly good fun because you can drift it round corners.

I have an Opel Astra DTM coming in the post, along with a Focus WRC, and some more track in the boot that I picked up this morning.

Viva la révolution.

IMO Scalextric might as well be a train set. I dislike trains...probably because there are only two ways they can go, but Scalextric is even worse. 1 button to go forward ~ boring.

The only good side is that you can derail them. /evil
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    After a long, boring night trying to find a certain Audi on eBay, I got hotlinked to a Scalextric A4 BTCC in a 'Similar Items' vein at the bottom... yes, stupid, I know.

But I decided to get myself a track and some cars to play with. I'm glad I started doing it again- my last set was one from the 1960s! This one is 1992, an XR2i Challenge one or something, and I bought a few track upgrades. As well as two cars- a Porsche Boxster, which is stupidly fast, and an A4 Quattro BTCC, which is giggly good fun because you can drift it round corners.

I have an Opel Astra DTM coming in the post, along with a Focus WRC, and some more track in the boot that I picked up this morning.

Viva la révolution.
    Cool ! It is real fun to play with, even for the older "kids" My uncle has a huge 12 metre long track set-up in his house too, in a special room. Pity it doesnt work...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Cool ! It is real fun to play with, even for the older "kids" My uncle has a huge 12 metre long track set-up in his house too, in a special room. Pity it doesnt work...
    I also had a permanent track, but it broke down and we threw it away. I still have my cars sonwhere. Amongst them a Lancia 037 or an Alpine A-110. One of my first cars was an orange BMW M1... memories...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I can well remember struggling with the pickup brushes and infernal track joins in an not always successful attempt to keep our Skalextric functional. We had lots of track and used to do hillclimbs up the stairs

Also much 'impact crash testing' competitions down the hallway at top speed and straight into the brick wall to see how high the Ford GT-40s would bounce, around 4ft from memory. Gee those LeMans type cars took some punishment, but not the F1 pair of Vanwall and sharknose Ferrari which couldn't hack the pace

Viva la révolution.
    Speaking of RS6's Basingstoke Audi have a b-e-a-uuuutiful RS6 Avant w/ 55,000mifor £29,000

I have Salextrix under my bed, 1998 Renault Megane Coupes are the cars, my Dad's brothers really into Scalextrix, he's got bikes, TVR Tuscan S's and a super cool Mercedes CLK DTM Edition Pace car that learns the tracks and works out how to get around it in the quickest time possible and the aim is to try and beat the UberScalextrixMerc#

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    The only good side is that you can derail them. /evil
    Hehe, the skirting boards in my room are covered in chips with Yellow & Blue paint from my Meganes drifting around the bend on the bridge, losing it going through the barrier and hitting the wall at speed
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

What in gods name is Scalextric?

Google time.

EDIT: oh ok they're those cars stuck on a track, fun stuff.
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 03-16-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    IMO Scalextric might as well be a train set. I dislike trains...probably because there are only two ways they can go, but Scalextric is even worse. 1 button to go forward ~ boring.
    hmm, now you're older you should try it.
    You can initiate drifts in SCX by appropriate analog adjustment of the "button".
    Just don't get the magnetic ones - they ARE boring.
    Haven't yet tried the new digital ones that allow up to six cars to run in the same track and can be "steered" to switch tracks.
    Still not as much fun as tarmac track and 1/12 - 1/5 scale r/c
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Shun the non-believer (Clive) SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!

Motion & Emotion

Haha, I agree with Matra to an extent- drifting them through corners is a skill and is also fun! Although I like stability. My track is getting quite big.

Got the last two cars for a while in the post today- an Opel Astra V8 DTM (limited edition, really cool) and a Focus WRC (from an old boxed set).

I must get mine back out again, my little Renaults are great fun and they run Subaru Impreza tyres

Motion & Emotion

Haha, I agree with Matra to an extent- drifting them through corners is a skill and is also fun! Although I like stability. My track is getting quite big.
    But as Matra said without magnets. Magnet = no fun.

I remeber I had a Porsche 908 Flunder, it went like stink...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I said I agree with him, but to a point- for racing, I'll take magnet stickiness everytime. Today, I wound up my A4 BTCC to full round... and round... and round...

Indomitable in races, but nowhere near as much fun as getting the Opel right.

Thread Information