Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Don't you get the licenses/programs from school if you need them in your education? At least the universities here give all sorts of software benefits to the students - even totally unrelated with the studies.
    We got some, but maybe on 30% of the software required. It is not arranged very well unfortunately. I could get all kinds of useless programmes for cheap, but not the ones i need.. So yea, i am screwed..

my daughter got all sorts of licenses from the Delft Technical University, including Autocad...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    my daughter got all sorts of licenses from the Delft Technical University, including Autocad...
    A friend of me studying there got it too. He spent nothing on software, he got licenses from them too.

Unfortunately the Hogeschool Rotterdam seems let the students find their own way. But apparently sharing one license with multiple people is theft according to some... Wondering when the first person will be trialed for doing the same with a bar of chocolate ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    But apparently sharing one license with multiple people is theft according to some...
    It is, according to the license.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Unfortunately the Hogeschool Rotterdam seems let the students find their own way. But apparently sharing one license with multiple people is theft according to some... Wondering when the first person will be trialed for doing the same with a bar of chocolate ?
    Licenses are far different from bars of chocolate..

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Licenses are far different from bars of chocolate..
    You gotta be kidding me !

A friend of me studying there got it too. He spent nothing on software, he got licenses from them too.

licenses can be negotiated....for educational purposes this often happens....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    licenses can be negotiated....for educational purposes this often happens....
    We were basically told to get it and good luck with it !

Here's my $0.02. Software is fundamentally different from any other good. It still costs money (alot) to develop, but once developed it's essentially infinitely scaleable, ie any number of copies can be produced for free.

Now there are a certain number of people who are willing to pay for software, and they are getting there money's worth, such as Wouter, pretty much any business, and honest individuals.

What about the rest of the individuals like me who would not under any circumstances pay that amount for the software? I have two options- a. not buy it OR b. download it illegally. Neither option has any effect whatsoever on the company. It doesn't raise future prices, or lower the companies income, the only person affected is me. So is it wrong for someone to download software, if they know for a fact they would not buy it?

I think a lot of piracy doesn't really affect these companies for this reason- alot of people using pirated software would not have purchased it in any case. But for the record I don't download software.

Thread Information