Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10... World's fastest cars

Supposedly the field it was meant to be record breaking on was snowed under.

It hit 230MP/H in 6th on 56% throttle. so they say theres still a fair bit left to give - so SSC press says.

Will it make the top speed? who cares. they've sold like 2.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

the surface was damp.not ideal wet conditions.Yet i dont think it will hit the claimed 270mph,or even beat the Veyron for that matter.I really hope the F60 will smash it.although the record was never on Ferrari's list of priorities,the only reason i would believe they would make it one is that they havent held it since the F40.and i cant wait for Project 1221_the turbine monster.I admit Ferrari do have there faults,like anyone else,yet they do have the Largest and most advanced research institute in the whole auto industry,major,small,kit,independent,they know the most and CAN do anything.There thoughts and most of there money is in F1.Thats the only reason why the Thrust SSC hasnt been beaten by a supersonic Prancing Horse.
    Last edited by sicilian973-2; 03-26-2007 at 06:59 AM.
    Ferrari will be WCC. Whoever wins the WDC will be from the Scuderia.........Yet who?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    It hit 230MP/H in 6th on 56% throttle. so they say theres still a fair bit left to give - so SSC press says.
    http://www.openroadracing.com/forum/...dc62c72c819b55

228mph @ 90% throttle apparently, unless that's a typo.

When all is said and done, will anybody with enough cash be swung by the argument that, in theory, in perfect conditions, if you can find a bit of road long enough and get the police to close it, you can go ever-so-slightly faster than a Bugatti?

Afterall - it is still just a Chevy small block bolted into a Diablo kit car with ugly body work and Ford Focus headlights.

Not quite on a par with a jumped-up VW Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by sicilian973-2 View Post
    yes but that was the one of the XP prototypes like the one pictured in the pic of the day.im not sure if its the same exact on(not sure if it was xp1 or xp4).yet the mclarens sold to customers "only" go 230.i believe a rev limiter is the reason.
    Sicillian in fact-based-post shocker!

It was XP5, wherein the rev limiter was raised from 7400 to 7800rpm.

u spelled practice wrong
    I'll think you'll find I didn't. Also, it's "you" and "spelt", not "u" and "spelled".
    I've never said this before to a member, but seriously, just go away. What are you honestly contributing to this forum?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    torque doesn't make top speed. btw it's limited because gearbox and clutch can't handle such a power. it's like saying veyron could make 500 km/h only if it could. but it can't
    It has an automatic gearbox, therefore no clutch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Sicillian in fact-based-post shocker!

It was XP5, wherein the rev limiter was raised from 7400 to 7800rpm.
    Thank you for the information. Were the production cars given a rev-limiter because of potential engine failures, or were there other reasons?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the surface was damp.not ideal wet conditions.Yet i dont think it will hit the claimed 270mph,or even beat the Veyron for that matter.I really hope the F60 will smash it.although the record was never on Ferrari's list of priorities,the only reason i would believe they would make it one is that they havent held it since the F40.and i cant wait for Project 1221_the turbine monster.I admit Ferrari do have there faults,like anyone else,yet they do have the Largest and most advanced research institute in the whole auto industry,major,small,kit,independent,they know the most and CAN do anything.There thoughts and most of there money is in F1.Thats the only reason why the Thrust SSC hasnt been beaten by a supersonic Prancing Horse.
    Ferrari will never have in their mind to beat top speed records. They want handling, acceleration and excellent maneuverability around a track. They designed the Enzo with that in their mind, and they will design the F60 the same way. Moreover, there's no information, no talk and absolutely no clues that a F60 will be produced.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 03-26-2007 at 08:23 AM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    I'll think you'll find I didn't. Also, it's "you" and "spelt", not "u" and "spelled".

umm, i hate to help this guy out in any possible way, but it is "spelled".

Quote Originally Posted by www.m-w.com
    Main Entry: 1spelt
    Pronunciation: 'spelt
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT
    : an ancient wheat (Triticum spelta syn. T. aestivum spelta) with spikelets containing two light red grains; also : the grain of spelt
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Past tense of spell is spelt

Also look at the 2nd definition on that same site you're looking at.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Thank you for the information. Were the production cars given a rev-limiter because of potential engine failures, or were there other reasons?
    IIRC there were concerns over potential resonance being induced at a particular engine speed.

I can't remember where that information is from though - it might be Driving Ambition, or one of the mahoosive "flemke's F1" threads on pistonheads.

I really hope the F60 will smash it.although the record was never on Ferrari's list of priorities,the only reason i would believe they would make it one is that they havent held it since the F40.
    No, for a car to hit Veyron-like speeds it has to be specially designed for top speed.
    In the case of the Mcl F1 it had similar power but lacked the drag inducing downforce of supercars today. That's why it could hit 240 while 600bhp supercars today are <220.
    Ferrari will never sacrifice downforce for increased top speed bragging rights.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Past tense of spell is spelt

Also look at the 2nd definition on that same site you're looking at.
    i apologize. however, this is what the 2nd def is: chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL

so the fact that he and i are both american means that "spelt" is still wrong.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Now we get onto the classic debate regarding us English folks inventing English etc. etc.

Being nice since 2007.

Only Canadians speak proper English.

P.S. English was not invented by the English, but by the Germans. It is a Germanic language, not a Celtic one.

Us English people are the only people who speak true English. Hence us being called English

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information