Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Questionare.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Bah that arguement sucks. It's a last name. There is only one way to say it.
    Waah. I've had my first name spelled at least 5 different ways by friends/teachers/businesses, and my last name is mispronounced all the time. If I hear my friend say Porsh, I'm not gonna attack him and call him a noob or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Waah. I've had my first name spelled at least 5 different ways by friends/teachers/businesses, and my last name is mispronounced all the time. If I hear my friend say Porsh, I'm not gonna attack him and call him a noob or anything.
    I am sure you remember Archie from "A fish called Wanda" who named his daughter Portia
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am sure you remember Archie from "A fish called Wanda" who named his daughter Portia
    Vaguely.

Quote Originally Posted by bstrat View Post
    LOL. What do you mean an African or a European Swallow?
    quoting Monty Python at your age gets some respect due
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    quoting Monty Python at your age gets some respect due
    My thoughts exactly. Let's bring out the coconuts!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The year was 1951 and the car was a 356 Light Alloy Coupe. Its distinctive features are the panels beside the wheels.
    And the drivers were Auguste Veuillet and Edmond Mouche. They finished in 20th place overall, winning the 1100cc class.

What was the name of the first Porsche's project and why?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The 356, it was the 356th product, something like that.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Yes, I am answering them all off the top of my head. The ones I'm not answering I don't know.Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Who funded the tooling costs that enabled Ferry to build Porsches in r/h/d?
    Here's the answer, its a neat bit of trivia
    The story began in 1951, when Norman Hamilton, a Melbourne pump manufacturer, was driving a big, American Oldsmobile Rocket 88 in Austria when he saw a tiny, slippery-looking sports car zip by.

Something of an enthusiast and no mean driver, Hamilton gritted his teeth and set off in pursuit along the Grossglockner Pass, tracking the elusive open-topped car to its source.

His appetite whetted, he subsequently met Dr Ferdinand Porsche, whose company had gone into production of the little Volkswagen-based sports car three years earlier.

As a result of that meeting, a gut feeling and a handshake, Hamilton became Australia's first Porsche agent and talked Dr Porsche into producing the sports car in right-hand-drive.

As part of their arrangement, Hamilton convinced Porsche to build its first two right-hand-drive models, after agreeing to fund the necessary tooling.

The legacy is favoured status for Porsche Australia in the Porsche world, but this was all ahead of Hamilton when, a couple of months after the Grossglockner Pass incident, he and his friend Andrew Kennedy collected a pair of right-hand-drive 356s, a Fish Silver cabriolet and a Maroon coupe, from the factory and drove them across the Alps to Genoa, where they were shipped to Australia.

The pair of Porsches was displayed at the South Melbourne Town Hall on November 1, 1951, and there is an irony in the fact that the Porsche went on sale in Australia three years before the VW Beetle with which it shared its major mechanical components, the Porsche having a 1286cc, air-cooled, horizontally-opposed engine mounted in the back, developing a modest 33kW of power.
    Into the 1980s, Hamilton was often referred to as the first Porsche concessionaire, but that distinction seems to have been dropped in recent times so it may have been proven inaccurate. However we were the first r/h/d market

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/cars/911tr.html
    ^^This particular 911 is one-of-a-kind specification; a non-lightweight lightweight!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    That would be a shame for a self-called Porsche fan. PORSH-uh is the right way to pronounce it.
    I am a porsche-phile and I pronounce it porsh. am I ashamed?

I tend to find that it is only americans who actually care how it is pronounced....

present company excepted of course

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Bah that arguement sucks. It's a last name. There is only one way to say it.
    what are you on about?? lets see, name of famous french footballer, Henry. Don't think that is pronounced the same everywhere
    Last edited by derekthetree; 03-29-2007 at 09:05 AM.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

I've got a question: Why don't I have a Porsche, and what can you do to remedy this situation?
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    what are you on about?? lets see, name of famous french footballer, Henry. Don't think that is pronounced the same everywhere
    Here in Oz, Subaru is pronounced soober-eew. While not far away in NZ it seeems they emphasise the 'B' as in su-Bahru

I remember old codgers used to mutilate Renault (Reno) as Renolt, and Falcon was Fulcun (Ful-kn) as in "the faahkin fulkn wont start"

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    how super duper awesome are GT3's?

i want to know this one, as well.
    1. Very.

2. I forgot, but I read it somewhere before. Isn't it Christophorus?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Here in Oz, Subaru is pronounced soober-eew. While not far away in NZ it seeems they emphasise the 'B' as in su-Bahru
    I think that is mainly due to accent, correct?

Saying Porsche as Porsh is not due to someones accent. It's just not right.

What was the retail price for 911 Targa 3.3 SuperSport's?

We say Soo-bah-roo. German's pronounce Audi Oodee, VolksWagen = FolksVaagen, and the Yanks say Maaazzda lol
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 03-29-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    What was the retail price for 911 Targa 3.3 SuperSport's?

We say Soo-bah-roo. German's pronounce Audi Oodee, VolksWagen = FolksVaagen, and the Yanks say Maaazzda lol
    Oww Dee, is the correct pronounciation for Audi. Not Oddee, could be wrong though.

I do remember reading somewhere that Audi PR was telling american journalists that Audi ryhmes with Howdy

Thread Information