Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 113

Thread: Porsche Questionare.

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    4,000
    Yeah, but I watched this program on Quattro on the Audi Channell at my grandparents and this german dude goes 'ziss vaas zee firsst oodee automobil viss zee legendairy qqqquattro all-vheel-dhrive seestem' - really funny
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 03-29-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Howdy Audi
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

    Motion & Emotion

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    5,749
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I do remember reading somewhere that Audi PR was telling american journalists that Audi ryhmes with Howdy
    According to Wikipedia to correct english pronunciation is indeed howdy.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Yeah, but I watched this program on Quattro on the Audi Channell at my grandparents and this german dude goes 'ziss vaas zee firsst oodee automobil viss zee legendairy qqqquattro all-vheel-dhrive seestem' - really funny
    Mabye he was a BMW fan...

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,194
    Audi is a Latin name for the founder of Audi - he had to make it the Latin version of his name as an ex-company of his still had his name on it and he couldn't legally use his name to name the new company. The German pronunciation is not right either - you'd have to ask a Latin expert how to say it properly.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    how super duper awesome are GT3's?

    i want to know this one, as well.

    I really don't know why its named this way. I think that it might be a German Philosopher.

    GT3s are very super duper awesome.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    True North
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Audi is a Latin name for the founder of Audi - he had to make it the Latin version of his name as an ex-company of his still had his name on it and he couldn't legally use his name to name the new company. The German pronunciation is not right either - you'd have to ask a Latin expert how to say it properly.
    Yes I just looked it up His original last name was Horch, pronounced Hark.

    Which is cool because in the end Audi, Horch, Wanderer, and (DKW?) became Auto Union/Audi

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Audi is a Latin name for the founder of Audi - he had to make it the Latin version of his name as an ex-company of his still had his name on it and he couldn't legally use his name to name the new company. The German pronunciation is not right either - you'd have to ask a Latin expert how to say it properly.
    That's not exactly right. Audi stands for heard/hearing (more or less, I'm no Latin expert) in Latin. That was because he couldn't use Horch, but the similarity was a coincidence, not the reason, as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Which is cool because in the end Audi, Horch, Wanderer, and (DKW?) became Auto Union/Audi
    And the union of the four brands gave birth the famours four ring badge. By the way Auto Union was the first name of the group. The use of the name Audi came a lot later.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And the drivers were Auguste Veuillet and Edmond Mouche. They finished in 20th place overall, winning the 1100cc class.

    What was the name of the first Porsche's project and why?

    The name was the No.1 type 356. It was named this way because it was the 356th project that the Porsche team had tackeld.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,491
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Yes I just looked it up His original last name was Horch, pronounced Hark.

    Which is cool because in the end Audi, Horch, Wanderer, and (DKW?) became Auto Union/Audi
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrat View Post
    The name was the No.1 type 356. It was named this way because it was the 356th project that the Porsche team had tackeld.
    No I meant the first project when they started the company in 1931. As you say the 356 was far from being the first.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Here's the answer, its a neat bit of trivia

    Into the 1980s, Hamilton was often referred to as the first Porsche concessionaire, but that distinction seems to have been dropped in recent times so it may have been proven inaccurate. However we were the first r/h/d market

    http://www.bowdensown.com.au/cars/911tr.html
    ^^This particular 911 is one-of-a-kind specification; a non-lightweight lightweight!
    I have a book that is about 50 years of Porsche in Australia. I love it. I didn't know that you ment right hand drive.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Oww Dee, is the correct pronounciation for Audi. Not Oddee, could be wrong though.

    I do remember reading somewhere that Audi PR was telling american journalists that Audi ryhmes with Howdy
    My friends say Aww-di.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No I meant the first project when they started the company in 1931. As you say the 356 was far from being the first.
    Oh, sorry. The first project started in 1931 was the Volkswagen. And the Auto Union was also designed by Ferdinand Porsche.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,491
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrat View Post
    Oh, sorry. The first project started in 1931 was the Volkswagen. And the Auto Union was also designed by Ferdinand Porsche.
    Nope, the first project was a mid-sized Wanderer. But the answer I was looking for was that the first project Porsche made was called the Project 7, because they didn't want to give the impression that they were unexperienced, which they feared they might have given if they called the first project the project 1. For the record IIRC the Beetle was Project 60.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Victoria Australia.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Nope, the first project was a mid-sized Wanderer. But the answer I was looking for was that the first project Porsche made was called the Project 7, because they didn't want to give the impression that they were unexperienced, which they feared they might have given if they called the first project the project 1. For the record IIRC the Beetle was Project 60.
    Oh. Got any photos.
    Here is my model car page.

    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/hokum/Porsche/

    I hope you like it.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,491
    No I haven't been able to find any. The earliest Porsche I have been able to find is this, Project 12, which is said to have influenced the design of the later Beetle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Really useful performance listings...
    By Egg Nog in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-18-2021, 05:13 PM
  2. Cisitalia-Porsche 360 1946
    By Sauc3 in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-11-2016, 05:48 AM
  3. all cars all years 0-60 and 1/4mile time
    By matheus in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
  4. Porsche 944
    By drakkie in forum Classic cars
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
  5. Zytek, Porsche Prototypes Steal The Show In Qualifying
    By Zytek_Fan in forum Racing forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •