Thread: (long)W.I.P Ferrari 360 Spider

(long)W.I.P Ferrari 360 Spider

Here comes a quick (hopefully) but still highly detailed build of a Ferrari 360 Spider.
    I had the absoulte pleasure of getting a chance to sit in one of these and I have to say not only is it a gorgeous car, it is really, really comfortable. Hopefully my kit will do the car enough justice? I wanted to break away from the normal red yellow or black Ferraris normally seen on UCP. That said, I decided to do a non realistic car but something someone could do if they had a roll of cash you could beat a baby seal to death with. So here is the chassis and part of the engine of this car.

The engine block was painted Testors Aluminum, then given a wash with Testors Flat Black acrylic. I have to say, engines, in my opinion, look alot more realistic with a good wash. While its ok on an engine thats never been fired up, it looks weird on even a slightly used engine. I give the engine a slightly more thorough wash to show some use. I plan to make the car look like it had 1000 miles done.

I highlighted the bolts near the driveshaft hole titanium gold. I'm not sure this is the case on real 360's, though anyone could of replaced the normal bolts with titanium ones to save a bit of weight, so it's not necessarcarily inaccurate.

The wishbones on the chassis were painted partially thinned Testors Aluminum. Cast Aluminum is not shiny, especially after enduring 1000 miles of use! The diffuser was also attached after being painted flat black. I decided not to paint the chassis gloss black as the instructions depict, for I found one picture of a real 360 with a gloss black chassis, but all the reference pictures I have show a flat black chassis.

Tamiya's 360 is a superb kit, but they still took a few shortcuts. I was bothered by the oil line, and I felt I had to replace it. So, time for some surgery! The plastic line will be replaced with Detail Master braided line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carsnut; 04-09-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Cool stuff, carsnut. Keep us up to date on your progress, and enjoy .

Man, you have much more patience than I do when it comes to model cars. One of the only models I ever did was one of an old SL class, the ragtop Tamiya version. It currently looks very realistic if it sat in a scrap heap. Wheels are coming off of it, I ripped off the hood for the fun of it, dust in every corner, the list goes on.

I wouldn't spend too much time on the engine bay...once assembled you can't see anything except what's on top of the motor, the air boxes...and maybe part of the muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I wouldn't spend too much time on the engine bay...once assembled you can't see anything except what's on top of the motor, the air boxes...and maybe part of the muffler.
    I plan to leave the undertray piece clear
    I am the Stig

A brief update:

I decided to wire the engine a bit. Though the majority of it will not be visible, I have lots of unused wire and though it would be fun to wire up the engine a bit. Wait until I wire up the electronics ! Fluid bottle replaced with Challenge Stradale part. The belt pulleys were detail painted. There is a slight off on one of the parts (will fix it later ). Oh yeah the chrome part on the bottom of the engine is a build plate I made. Though it may not be real, its still realistic in a way since Ferraris are exclusive machines, so they may be personalized. The ignition coils were wired where they were because thats what my reference pictures show. They are not wired from the ends!!!

I also started the interior. You can see I am beginning to paint the dashboard. It will be semigloss black, very close leather, as used on the 1:1.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carsnut; 04-29-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information