Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 96

Thread: Single turbo setup?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Porto - Portugal
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    cheaper yes, nicer and faster most definately not! how did you come to that conclusion?
    It's easy to come to some conclusions when you know a little a bout cars. Sicne you're the one fitting a heavy and boring V12 engine in place of a performance high-revving 6 cilinder M engine, I guess I know a little more about cars than you.

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    It will show up at several shows and meets here in denmark and I will also use it for abit of racing.
    Against what? Limos or cargo vans?

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Well the turbo can provide up to 800HP worth of air and with upgraded internals and fuel system the engine itself will be able to support it.
    I've never heard anyone who's really into cars say that a turbo can provide a certain amount of HP. I thought the potential of a turbo was mesured in pressure and not hp...

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    How will it be heavy? the total engine package shouldn't weigh that much more than the original engine if it was also turbocharged
    Sure. But the original one isnt' turbocharged. And BTW, turbocharging a E36 m3 is also very stupid. Have you ever heard about usable power?


    To be totally honest I don't think that car will ever exist for one of 2 reasons: either you're lying or you will never achieve it.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    It's easy to come to some conclusions when you know a little a bout cars. Sicne you're the one fitting a heavy and boring V12 engine in place of a performance high-revving 6 cilinder M engine, I guess I know a little more about cars than you.
    You are mistaken the M70 is actually quite light for it's size (only 155kg naked and 240kg fully dressed) and the S50 M3 engine is quite heavy for it's size (152kg naked and 220kg fully dressed). Also how is a 300hp 5L V12 boring? If it is the power you are referring to it will have over 700 when i am finished.


    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Against what? Limos or cargo vans?
    Haha funny guy aren't you? I am talking about drag races, the odd track day and maybe a hill climb (not that there are hills in denmark) also I will bring it out to the North Ring in germany.


    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I've never heard anyone who's really into cars say that a turbo can provide a certain amount of HP. I thought the potential of a turbo was mesured in pressure and not hp...
    Really? thats odd. Well turbos are only able to flow a certain mass of air at certain pressures and HP is directly proportional to those values. Notice also that most turbo manufacturers have a power rating for all their turbos... But just FYI the GT4088R can flow over 60lbs at a pressure factor of 3-3.5.


    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Sure. But the original one isnt' turbocharged. And BTW, turbocharging a E36 m3 is also very stupid. Have you ever heard about usable power?
    You mean to say you are not a fan of FI in general? because it certainly isn't stupid to turbocharge the S50. Also if you know anything about engines and FI then you would know that the range of useable power is highly dependant on the system used. BMW has successfully used twin turbos to increase the range of useable power in an I6.


    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    To be totally honest I don't think that car will ever exist for one of 2 reasons: either you're lying or you will never achieve it.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

    But I will finish this project.

    If just to prove you wrong
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    If it is the power you are referring to it will have over 700 when i am finished.
    But I will finish this project.

    If just to prove you wrong
    Just the same way you provided all of that proof you were asked about in prior threads, by multiple members. Bullshit meter just went up another 2 notches.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Just the same way you provided all of that proof you were asked about in prior threads, by multiple members. Bullshit meter just went up another 2 notches.
    I do promise to get a digital camera.

    I also promise to get some dyno runs with the M70 to show the difference when the only thing changed is port volume (I will make it smaller and see if it gives any power on the M70).
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,776
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    BMW has successfully used twin turbos to increase the range of useable power in an I6.
    So why are you planning a single turbo V12 ?

    "Common sense" should guide you that you really want a quad turbo

    "Usable power" came from the I6 because BMW knew what they were doing and didn't go for a peaky single solution !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,975
    I agree that technically if stoichiometrec fuel ratio is used with an air mass flow a certain hp can be specified to a turbo however there are many assumptions let down by the engines many inneficiencies, ie blow down, heat, indicated losses (off thetop of my head) so to say that a turbo delivers 14.71 kg of air per minute to the engine it will need 1 kg of fuel per minute. since petrol has an (average) calorific value of 45MJ/kg therefore we have 45 MJ of fuel being processed every minute, assume a 25% thermal efficiency (how well energy is extracred from fuel) this drops to 0.25x45 = 11.25 MJ per hour. Power (watts, w) is energy (joules, J) divided by time (t, seconds) therefore power = 11,250,000 J / 60 s = 187500w or 187.5kw or ...(since 1kw is roughly 1.314022 hp) ....251.4416 hp...but thats ignoring many losses, take 5-7% for mechanical losses for starters...exact hp would be experimental
    autozine.org

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,320
    Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    (since 1kw is roughly 1.314022 hp)
    I think we need more exact figures here...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Porto - Portugal
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    If it is the power you are referring to it will have over 700 when i am finished.
    Yeah sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Haha funny guy aren't you? I am talking about drag races, the odd track day and maybe a hill climb (not that there are hills in denmark) also I will bring it out to the North Ring in germany.
    I believe the part about drag races...

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    You mean to say you are not a fan of FI in general? because it certainly isn't stupid to turbocharge the S50. Also if you know anything about engines and FI then you would know that the range of useable power is highly dependant on the system used. BMW has successfully used twin turbos to increase the range of useable power in an I6.
    When I mean usable power I mean that there's no use for 750hp on a track or road, specially mounted on a chassis that was not developed to handle them. I like FI engines when they're made for that purpose. To just ad a turbo to an engine that had a great development to work perfectly without it is to play the engineer.

    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    But I will finish this project.

    If just to prove you wrong
    I really hope so.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ozland
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower
    1 turbo is going to be easier to fit than 2.
    The is the exact topic of contention in this thread, considering the plumbing involved 2 turbos is far easier than 1.
    What plan do you have in mind? Can you draw something up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcreis
    I've never heard anyone who's really into cars say that a turbo can provide a certain amount of HP. I thought the potential of a turbo was mesured in pressure and not hp...
    I've rarely heard of turbos rated in anything other than hp, since they are designed to flow an amount of air which supports an amount of hp it is quite reasonable to rate a turbo in hp potential/suitability.
    Garrett gives a hp rating for all of their turbos.
    I agree that technically if stoichiometrec fuel ratio is used with an air mass flow a certain hp can be specified to a turbo however <extremely anal factors snipped>...exact hp would be experimental
    Of course, this is why approximate hp values are assigned.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

    http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    So why are you planning a single turbo V12 ?

    "Common sense" should guide you that you really want a quad turbo

    "Usable power" came from the I6 because BMW knew what they were doing and didn't go for a peaky single solution !!!
    I believe I used "common sense" out of proper context what I mean is that I will be using what knowledge I have primarily. Of course I will consult certain professionals whom I trust.

    Anyways I have already stated why I am planning a single turbo V12. Because I already have most of the parts needed and because I believe that it is the best choice for what I want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jediali
    I agree that technically if stoichiometrec fuel ratio is used with an air mass flow a certain hp can be specified to a turbo however there are many assumptions let down by the engines many inneficiencies, ie blow down, heat, indicated losses (off thetop of my head) so to say that a turbo delivers 14.71 kg of air per minute to the engine it will need 1 kg of fuel per minute. since petrol has an (average) calorific value of 45MJ/kg therefore we have 45 MJ of fuel being processed every minute, assume a 25% thermal efficiency (how well energy is extracred from fuel) this drops to 0.25x45 = 11.25 MJ per hour. Power (watts, w) is energy (joules, J) divided by time (t, seconds) therefore power = 11,250,000 J / 60 s = 187500w or 187.5kw or ...(since 1kw is roughly 1.314022 hp) ....251.4416 hp...but thats ignoring many losses, take 5-7% for mechanical losses for starters...exact hp would be experimental
    I agree completely. However the power rating of this turbo is proven through practical application as well as accurate calculations. On Garrett's website they rate it at 700HP and the same turbo has been used in applications and shown that it can be good for 800+. The final power output is more dependant on the engine's state of tune then anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    When I mean usable power I mean that there's no use for 750hp on a track or road, specially mounted on a chassis that was not developed to handle them. I like FI engines when they're made for that purpose. To just ad a turbo to an engine that had a great development to work perfectly without it is to play the engineer.
    You do realise that I am not going to be driving around at peak power all the time right? I plan on making the engine drivable not a dyno queen. Why don't you look up what a GT4088R actually is, same with the M70. Again the M3 chassis is very good and I will be upgrading it to handle the power (suspension, brakes, chassis regidity, safety, aerodynamics). BTW The M70 lends itself to FI pretty well being a strong balanced design and having a relatively low CR. I also plan on raising the rev limit as much as I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    The is the exact topic of contention in this thread, considering the plumbing involved 2 turbos is far easier than 1.
    What plan do you have in mind? Can you draw something up?
    I will make a thread to follow the whole and I don't actually want to get into too much detail right now (because there isn't alot of detail to get into). The reason for this thread was to ask for information about any examples of a single turbo V12. I have already made the descission long before I made this thread.

    Also how is routing exhaust from each bank into their own turbo then out any harder then getting both banks to go into a single turbo up front? It isn't harder it is just designed differently. Now which is easier: getting air from two seperate turbos that probably aren't producing the same flow and pressure to merge flow through an IC and then into the engine OR getting the charged air from a single turbo (which is already up front) to go through an IC then into the engine? and after that which set is easier to control? As far as I see it 1 turbo is easier to make and will fit much better then a twin turbo system.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    95616
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    There are many for sale here in denmark and in germany. I plan on picking one up here in denmark that hasn't paid registration yet for around 50000DK (around 9 grand USD). cheaper yes, nicer and faster most definately not! how did you come to that conclusion?
    E36 M3- 286HP
    E38 7-series 282hp.

    Well...

    Draw your own conclusion.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I believe I used "common sense" out of proper context what I mean is that I will be using what knowledge I have primarily. Of course I will consult certain professionals whom I trust.

    Anyways I have already stated why I am planning a single turbo V12. Because I already have most of the parts needed and because I believe that it is the best choice for what I want.

    I agree completely. However the power rating of this turbo is proven through practical application as well as accurate calculations. On Garrett's website they rate it at 700HP and the same turbo has been used in applications and shown that it can be good for 800+. The final power output is more dependant on the engine's state of tune then anything else.

    You do realise that I am not going to be driving around at peak power all the time right? I plan on making the engine drivable not a dyno queen. Why don't you look up what a GT4088R actually is, same with the M70. Again the M3 chassis is very good and I will be upgrading it to handle the power (suspension, brakes, chassis regidity, safety, aerodynamics). BTW The M70 lends itself to FI pretty well being a strong balanced design and having a relatively low CR. I also plan on raising the rev limit as much as I can.

    I will make a thread to follow the whole and I don't actually want to get into too much detail right now (because there isn't alot of detail to get into). The reason for this thread was to ask for information about any examples of a single turbo V12. I have already made the descission long before I made this thread.

    Also how is routing exhaust from each bank into their own turbo then out any harder then getting both banks to go into a single turbo up front? It isn't harder it is just designed differently. Now which is easier: getting air from two seperate turbos that probably aren't producing the same flow and pressure to merge flow through an IC and then into the engine OR getting the charged air from a single turbo (which is already up front) to go through an IC then into the engine? and after that which set is easier to control? As far as I see it 1 turbo is easier to make and will fit much better then a twin turbo system.
    Do you have any experience with tuning, racing, fabrication, etc? I'm not making any comments but as a help to anyone reading the thread could you post what kind of experience/credentials you have? Your profile has nothing not even a location

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by rev440 View Post
    What turbo are you gonna use and that are the specs?




    Thats a small turbo on a supra or a skyline!
    where did that come from
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    E36 M3- 286HP
    E38 7-series 282hp.

    Well...

    Draw your own conclusion.
    I don't know what you are talking about:

    E36 M3 does have 286HP

    But the E38 7-series had the M73 V12 which made 326HP

    I have an M70 from a E31 850Ci with manual gearbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Do you have any experience with tuning, racing, fabrication, etc? I'm not making any comments but as a help to anyone reading the thread could you post what kind of experience/credentials you have? Your profile has nothing not even a location
    I have experience with tuning several cars including making FI systems (2 turbo, 1 SC) for normally NA cars. I don't have any real experience with racing. Fabrication... If you are talking about chassis modification then yes I do have some experience with that (roll-cages, chassis braces, welding ect.). I am pretty crap at acetelyne welding but I can do respectable MIG and TIG welds. I have done other forms of metal working/forming but I will have to learn and practise those techniques some more.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,496
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about:

    E36 M3 does have 286HP

    But the E38 7-series had the M73 V12 which made 326HP

    I have an M70 from a E31 850Ci with manual gearbox.
    The M3 E36 was later available with a 321bhp engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sultan of Brunei!!
    By lfb666 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 05:58 AM
  2. Territory Turbo Review (Carpoint)
    By adrenaline in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 05:18 AM
  3. Car and Driver: 997 Turbo Preview
    By F1_Master in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •