Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Single turbo setup?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    305s on a Monaro? I think not. Actually, I don't think most of the cars in that list would have tyres close to 305s, the 430 has 295s, I don't any of the cars (except for maybe the Viper, I don't know about that one) have wider tyres than that.
    thats what i was thinking too

TVR Sagaris: 255/35 R18
    TVR Tuscan (rear wheels): 253/40 ZR18
    Dodge Viper SRT-10 (rear wheels): 345/30 ZR19
    Ferrari F430 (rear wheels): 285/35 ZR19
    Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano (rear wheels): 305/35 R20
    Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (rear wheels): 285/40 ZR19
    BMW M5 (rear wheels): 285/35 ZR19
    Corvette C6 (rear wheels): 285/35 ZR19
    Corvette C6 Z06 (rear wheels): 325/30 ZR19
    Vauxhall VXR (rear wheels): 275/35 R19

Wow so I must have really skinny tires if both the Z06 and the SRT-10 have wider tires...

Oh yeah they are both american muscle cars with alot of low end grunt.

I don't think I will have that much trouble with my wider than most 305s.

BTW I know the LS7 is a great engine but I will never ever be able to be proud of it, mostly because it is just total over kill in every way but still only puts out 505 HP stock...

That and getting one shipped to DK is going to cost a fortune
    Last edited by hightower99; 04-14-2007 at 04:17 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Won't be an issue.

After all it is the TORQUE that breaks the traction !!!!
    Unless he is going to take the F1 route, I thought a large a amount of torque obvious.

Of course this is all irrelevant as it won't be built. EVER.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    Of course this is all irrelevant as it won't be built. EVER.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    BTW I know the LS7 is a great engine but I will never ever be able to be proud of it, mostly because it is just total over kill in every way but still only puts out 505 HP stock...
    The LS7 thing was a joke, however, it would be by far more reliable, have better mileage, and be far easier to tune than what you're planning on doing. I agree with everyone else... this project just isn't worth the time and effort and I doubt it will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The LS7 thing was a joke, however, it would be by far more reliable, have better mileage, and be far easier to tune than what you're planning on doing. I agree with everyone else... this project just isn't worth the time and effort and I doubt it will ever happen.
    I am to understand then that nobody is interested in me making a write up about the project when I start up?

I would have thought there was at least some enthusiasm for using BMW tech to make a fast sleeper... No?

BTW I know the LS7 is great but I just can't get excited about it at all.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

I am to understand then that nobody is interested in me making a write up about the project when I start up?
    I'd like to see a write up if/when you do this. Whether I like the idea or not doesn't matter. I have my doubts about how well it would/will turn out, but, if you actually go through with this, I'd be interested in the result.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Sure we'd be interested in a write up... we're just doubting it will be completed. But if you're determined to do it then morepower to you. If you do it i'm sure we'd be interested to see how its going.

I would have thought there was at least some enthusiasm for using BMW tech to make a fast sleeper... No?
    The complete opposite infact, if you do this then you'll need to prove it with detailed photographs and a write-up. I'd particulaly like to see the exhaust manifold for the single turbo.

If you don't want to do that it would be best to never mention the project again, because nobody will believe you.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

The complete opposite infact, if you do this then you'll need to prove it with detailed photographs and a write-up. I'd particulaly like to see the exhaust manifold for the single turbo.

If you don't want to do that it would be best to never mention the project again, because nobody will believe you.
    Good to hear that there will be interest in a write up (with many detailed pictures!).

I very much want to make a write up about it and provide pictures to show everyone, it just sounded like people thought this was pointless and didn't want to see any info about it...

Oh and I will be sure to get in lots of pics of the manifold

The thread with at least an introduction and the first pics will be posted in roughly 5 and a half months time... I have yet to source an M3 chassis and I want to put alittle more money into the projects money pot.

However a question: I am having trouble finding a stand alone ECU that can handle 12 cylinders... does anyone know where I might get one/ who makes them?

Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Yeah that might work....

Right I have been researching and I have a few questions:

Does anyone know where I can get good head gaskets for the M70?

I can't for the life of me find 305mm wide rims that have a chance of fitting on an E36 M3... the closest i got was 20" and that is 2" too much!

Can anyone suggest any reading material that has information about what and how to prepare a chassis (bracing, roll cage design, welding techniques ect.) I do know how to do the basics but I want to learn as much as possible.

Also I am open to the idea of getting some sponsors that will supply some bits here and there, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Does anyone have any experience?

Also some reading material regarding automotive aerodynamics that anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance

Right I have been researching and I have a few questions:

Does anyone know where I can get good head gaskets for the M70?

I can't for the life of me find 305mm wide rims that have a chance of fitting on an E36 M3... the closest i got was 20" and that is 2" too much!

Can anyone suggest any reading material that has information about what and how to prepare a chassis (bracing, roll cage design, welding techniques ect.) I do know how to do the basics but I want to learn as much as possible.

Also I am open to the idea of getting some sponsors that will supply some bits here and there, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Does anyone have any experience?

Also some reading material regarding automotive aerodynamics that anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance
    After all this I thought you had atleast some ability, but if you are defeated by such simple things AND you need to read up on how to weld then this isn't going to get very far.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Give him a chance. There's no reason not too.

In answer to HT's questions...
    Have you tried tirerack.com? Mickey Thompson? Hoosiers? tirerack is supposed to have a huge selection, the last two are drag race tires (street slicks) but they might serve your purpose quite well.

Chassis Reinforcement :chassis
    specific to camaros, but take what you will from it

About aero... aero
    again camaro specific, and mostly stuff you might already know, but the principles are the same, and it's a good read
    Last edited by Bob; 04-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.

After all this I thought you had atleast some ability, but if you are defeated by such simple things AND you need to read up on how to weld then this isn't going to get very far.
    I am not defeated just tired of looking and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

I can weld (pretty wel actually) But I am by no means a master welder nor do I know all the techniques. I have tried to find texts on the internet but haven't found anything that helps much. I was hoping that someone here might be more experienced and be able to tell me what texts they might have learned from.

Here's where I stand on the points I asked about:

I have access to facilities that allow me to make a very good head gasket for the M70 But I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy (say) a MLS head gasket as that would save me alot of time and probably abit of money.

As for wheels I have found none that are 18" tall and wide enough to have a 305mm tire mounted. Tires are not so much a problem, just the wheels to mount them on.

as for reading material I just want to learn as much as I can. I could certainly complete the project without it but I like to believe that if I learned more I could do a better job.

Finally I asked if there was anyone who had experience with getting sponsors as I don't know how to go about that.

Bob: I am looking for wheels to mount 305mm tires on. they can only be 18" tall. Thank you for the info. I don't think I learned anything new from them but they did give me ideas about what I want to do with this project.

Thread Information