Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First R8 Written Off

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well you're right, not as is, but if it gets the V10...
    Isn't the point of good sportscars to have unique character and good performance? This engine sharing sillyness robs the heart of one car and puts it as the heart of another. Where is the personality? It just seems like they are taking a Gallardo and slapping an Audi badge and soome nice new body panels on it.

That is clearly not the case - but the more that two performace cars have in common the lamer the copycat car is.

I think that is a mathematical relationship.

Well the Gallardo has always been a bit Audi-ish so I don't think the transition was (is being) that difficult...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer
    First R8 Written Off
    Crash testing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Because they are sharing that V10 with Lamborghini... slap on two turbos and BAM! "New" Audi engine.
    You're forgetting the increased displacement, FSI induction and reduction in redline.

I don't see that Audi and Lamborghini are impinging on each other's sales.

Firstly - if both Lamborghini and Audi are building and selling as many R8s and Gallardos as they can, then how are they "stealing" sales, or "taking over"?

Secondly - Audi and Lamborghini don't appeal to the same target demographics.

Lamborghini are typically brash and ostentatious; not something that will appeal to everyone with money. Rich people tend to be older, rather than younger, and an acid-green Gallardo might not appeal to someone in their 50s or 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    an acid-green Gallardo might not appeal to someone in their 50s or 60s.
    hah
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    hah
    I knew you had one....
    Visca Catalunya!

Well you're right, not as is, but if it gets the V10...
    But even engines aside I don't think an Audi super car as a concept is decreasing Lambo's sales.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    But even engines aside I don't think an Audi super car as a concept is decreasing Lambo's sales.
    I think it will.

Let's see it like this. The market for cars above 150.000€ I believe it has a pretty stable demand. That said if a new car enters the market that means that all the sales it racks up will be at the expense of already established products, Lamborghini amongst them.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think it will.

Let's see it like this. The market for cars above 150.000€ I believe it has a pretty stable demand. That said if a new car enters the market that means that all the sales it racks up will be at the expense of already established products, Lamborghini amongst them.
    On the contrary my theory is that if a brand like Audi enters the market it will be considered as a sensible choice and people who buy it will not buy it because of the brand but because of bang for the buck. Lamborghini is definitely not competing in this category. The R8 will eat up sales of Corvette's, Viper's, Porsche's, Maserati's and all super cars of "normal" brands (eg. Ford GT) etc. But will not be a threat to Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. Especially Lamborghini's. If any Lamborghini owner would've bought the car using careful thought - they wouldn't have.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    I don't see that Audi and Lamborghini are impinging on each other's sales.
    Where did I say they were cannabilizing each other's sales - I could care less about the business feasibility of VAG - but I do care about them popping out two similar sportscars. My point is this sportscar sharing busisness is slowoly robbing the cars of their souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    On the contrary my theory is that if a brand like Audi enters the market it will be considered as a sensible choice and people who buy it will not buy it because of the brand but because of bang for the buck. Lamborghini is definitely not competing in this category. The R8 will eat up sales of Corvette's, Viper's, Porsche's, Maserati's and all super cars of "normal" brands (eg. Ford GT) etc. But will not be a threat to Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. Especially Lamborghini's. If any Lamborghini owner would've bought the car using careful thought - they wouldn't have.
    While I see your point, I don't think a mid engined 2-seater V10 sportscar is that sensible...
    Visca Catalunya!

I also don't see any conflict between the two. How far apart are they priced anyway? Isn't the Audi slightly cheaper?

I find the two to be beautiful, so I really don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Where did I say they were cannabilizing each other's sales - I could care less about the business feasibility of VAG - but I do care about them popping out two similar sportscars. My point is this sportscar sharing busisness is slowoly robbing the cars of their souls.
    I highly doubt Audi will just grab a Lambo engine and plonk it in the R8 - a bit of work will go on to Audi-fy it - in exactly the same way a Leon Cupra and Golf Gti have same engine, but diff characteristics. I dont see any harm in having a V10 in the Audi, it wont detract people from buying a Gallardo who were already going too.

Back to the pic, Im surprised how little is actually left of the car - i hope the fire crew took a long time to get there, would be scary to think that picture was taken a few mins after the fire starting....
    Porsche!

I think they're begining to make them less Audi like now. At current they use Audi navigation and sound systems and their climate control switches are from the A8 too, from now Lamborghini is going to be making more bespoke switchgear etc.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I meant the other way around, if Audi were to use the V10, Audi would work their magic on the Lambo engine to make it more Audi-like, rather than just leaving it as it is, thereby creating a new 'soul' for the car as Kitdy put it.
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade View Post
    I meant the other way around, if Audi were to use the V10, Audi would work their magic on the Lambo engine to make it more Audi-like, rather than just leaving it as it is, thereby creating a new 'soul' for the car as Kitdy put it.
    You gosta have soul.

Thread Information