Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buick Park Lane/Holden Statesman

Its not that simple though. We gave you guys the Monaro, but it still didnt sell because nobody wanted it with a GTO badge.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    Then these car companies wonder why they suffer billions of losses..umm maybe cause that car can't be found at my local dealer..THAT's Y!!
    Your "local dealer" rejected this vehicle. GM asked Buick dealers if they wanted the Holden Caprice, and the majority said no. They are morons.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In the picture of the gauge cluster, the first sentence in the middle display says

welcome.
    A direct translation would be welcome you.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Its not that simple though. We gave you guys the Monaro, but it still didnt sell because nobody wanted it with a GTO badge.
    Here's where it gets complicated- Americans believe that muscle cars should be bold, mean, and loud. The Holden Monaro, is relatively sophisticated(for a muscle car) and a sleeper compared to the other offerings like the Mustang Cobra. But yet we refuse to buy Domestic unless quality improves. Go figure.

It was also very Australian-ized with oddly placed audio controls that favored a RHD setup and expensive compared to the Mustang. The fact that it did not look enough like the old GTO also helped to kill it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    The fact that it did not look enough like the old GTO also helped to kill it.
    It didn't look anything like the old Monaro, so thats a failure of US marketing, not of the car.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Many in America believed though had any other badge and they wouldve sold the 18K units a year. There was just such a stigma over it being called a GTO that half the people that mightve been interested, didnt want to touch it.
    I am the Stig

Yes moan till you get it then reject it because of a 3 letter word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post
    Your "local dealer" rejected this vehicle. GM asked Buick dealers if they wanted the Holden Caprice, and the majority said no. They are morons.
    Morans are Adults lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Here's where it gets complicated- Americans believe that muscle cars should be bold, mean, and loud. The Holden Monaro, is relatively sophisticated(for a muscle car) and a sleeper compared to the other offerings like the Mustang Cobra. But yet we refuse to buy Domestic unless quality improves. Go figure.

It was also very Australian-ized with oddly placed audio controls that favored a RHD setup and expensive compared to the Mustang. The fact that it did not look enough like the old GTO also helped to kill it.
    It was never the cars fault, The problem was the d heads that picked it out and then made that disturbing front for it got it all wrong, The car was right it's got history just like the GTO, Problem was it was how the car was delivered. I have seen many GTO owners convert there cars to full Monaro kit to the point they have asked Aussies can they send money to them to have there Remote door key changed to holden.
    GM wanted a easy rwd to stick in the U.S at min cost and they got it. They went to the wrong people but since the G8 has HSV wheels the smartest thing would have been to borrow parts from HSV to give it some extra bite in look.
    A HSV Copue 4 look would have been better, I have seen some cars around of late using it's guards and it's a huge visual impact.

A holden with door mounted power windows never thought i would see the day. Dam them wheels look small what are they 16"? Caprice rims would look super they do look super, Just seen a black one when i was out they are one fine looking machine.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Because of your government and auto union. Plain and simple. They've made it nigh on impossible for GM to get Holden's in to the US. So you can have the G8 or this. Not both.
    But can't they build Zeta-based cars in the US?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They could, but the costs of converting their assembly plants over would be stopping them for now. I think the plan has been though to have that happen over the next few years, probably in time for the new Camaro.
    I am the Stig

They could, but the costs of converting their assembly plants over would be stopping them for now. I think the plan has been though to have that happen over the next few years, probably in time for the new Camaro.
    Well I know GM is in deep trouble, but to get out of the hole they have to invest money. Sharing parts and technology is the way to go, and the Zeta platform is a very good base to start on. They argue that those cars won't be able to get good gas mileages but I don't this point stands since the Zeta allows for small(ish) V6 engines as opposed to big V8 powerplants. They could even adapt other more frugal GM engines to fit in the Zeta.

Basically in my opinion they need to reduce the number of platforms and engines (as main mechanical components), amongst other things, in order to sort out their situation.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well theyve got some excess production here from the Holden plant. Theres about 100K local sales for Holden and 50K imports, and the additional 30-50K planned for the G8. Im sure theres some more Holden can push out.

Whatever theyve worked out with the unions to get so many G8's in, if that can be expanded there could be room for one more model
    I am the Stig

I <3 those back seat headrests - their retro cool.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Why don't they offer a 40-50 mpg Diesel engine then offer as options the V6's and V8's, Then that gets around the bush push better fuel economy drive..
    The guy could stick money into the car industry to help make better alternatives to Petrol.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information