Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkwater

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog View Post
    It's a great documentary that's totally worth seeing.
    I'll do that if I happen to come across it. I have some knowledge of the issue from before, but the easy response is that there's nothing one can do when it's (mostly) happening on the other side of the world. However one thing that is easily overlooked is how purchasing various other sea foods also contribute to this.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I'll do that if I happen to come across it. I have some knowledge of the issue from before, but the easy response is that there's nothing one can do when it's (mostly) happening on the other side of the world. However one thing that is easily overlooked is how purchasing various other sea foods also contribute to this.
    The film largely covers a renegade protection group (Sea Shepherd) that's doing all they can to bring attention to the issue. There are massive Asian mafias dedicated to the billion-dollar sharkfin industry, and pretty much all of it is done through illegal fishing. Awareness has sparked rioting and legal pressures in places like Costa Rica, and hopefully it can do so elsewhere as well.

All of this over-fishing by the Asians really pisses me off. Especially when it's illegal. I say we Nuke 'em.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Awareness has sparked rioting and legal pressures in places like Costa Rica, and hopefully it can do so elsewhere as well.
    I'll probably do what I always do in situations like this - just keep on living my life and hope someone else does something about it.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post
    All of this over-fishing by the Asians really pisses me off. Especially when it's illegal. I say we Nuke 'em.
    QFMFT!
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

They are perfect beings...
    Yeah, perfect for dinner!

Where is your Cod now?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post
    Theres something very wrong with this statement...

Australia doesn't have Nukes!!! Also probably some racism...

I just saw a documentary (still in theatres) called Sharkwater; really interesting film. When you see all the shark fins for sale in Chinatown you kinda figure there might be some issues with overfishing, but I didn't realise the extent to which it was happening. The ecological damages that we are doing as humans are a total abomination.

Seriously, it was entertaining and very informative. I'd definitely recommend it.
    Yeah, it is kinda sad that we don't care a crap about the Earth. We will probably be living quite comfortably, noting that we won't be around when the world is no longer inhabitable. That task will be left up to our children. So why not start early and care a crap about the Earth?

No offense but why are there members who aren't contributing at all? Isn't that against forum rules? Just don't post if you have nothing to contribute. It's not that hard.

Yes, on a side note, Planet Earth is really awesome. I don't have it on HD, sadly, but the standard definition is good enough for my purposes anyway.

I think its rather sad that some people call tree hugger as soon as someone cares about where they live.

Do you like living in a pile of rubbish? Do you think that rats and cockroaches should be the only animals left when you have polluted so much that the planet chokes?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    I think its rather sad that some people call tree hugger as soon as someone cares about where they live.

Do you like living in a pile of rubbish? Do you think that rats and cockroaches should be the only animals left when you have polluted so much that the planet chokes?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were joking, but I don't speak for them and can't be sure.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    So why not start early and care a crap about the Earth?
    You can't have it all.

I saw a story earlier today, where a man was condemned for "saving the environment".

He bought a large area of rainforest so that it could not be logged. Now 1,000 workers who had very little to begin with have even less because they have no jobs, and there is no other industry in the area to support that many workers.

So for the sake of a few trees someone's kids are going to go hungry.

It is all very well for you to sit in your ivory tower, your every need met, your only worry being whether you are emo enough or something, and complain about people "not giving a crap".

The people who are inevitably hit the hardest by "conservation" are the people in the world who have nothing at all.

Why don't you ship yourself off in your Nike Air Max, GAP cargo pants and "My Chemical Flatulence" T-shirt to some remote region and explain to people who probably work a life time for less money than your "Ipod" cost why they should loose their jobs and why their children should starve because otherwise some obscure species of fish might die off?

I'm sure once you do that they'll willingly sacrifice their livelihoods so that you can feel all warm and smug about how you've saved the world.

Even when, as in this case, people are doing a lot of damage for seemingly no benefit; what are all these shark fishermen going to do instead?

Play golf?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    No offense but why are there members who aren't contributing at all? Isn't that against forum rules? Just don't post if you have nothing to contribute. It's not that hard.
    If you've got a problem, use the report post function.

It's a great documentary that's totally worth seeing. Nobody's making you guys hug a tree or drive a $@&*ing Prius. Get over yourselves and pay attention a little. You might accidentally care or something. People are sick and tired of being ignorantly labeled hippies just because they give a shit.
    I hope you know we were only kidding (I speak for myself and assume baddabang was kidding too) and that watching a documentary about overfishing does not in fact make you a hippy, and that I do, in fact care about something other than myself, surfing and mountain biking have made me very aware of litter (on trails) and pollutants (in the water), and i clean up trails when I see trash or floating debris etc.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Economies create themselves when something is profitable. This is what happened with shark fins (etc). These people illegally work for a pittance, but they wouldn't if there wasn't a market for it. Losing your job is crappy, but again it's a matter of people thinking they're the owners of the earth. Lost jobs are nothing compared to losing a species, especially the massive ecosystem changes brought by depletion of a key species.

The government needs to be able to regulate these things, and that's part of the struggle. The finning industry does a huge amount more damage than other industries - they catch a shark, hack off the fins, and throw it back into the water (alive but finless) to die. I'm never going to eat shark-fin soup.

Losing your job would suck, but where do you draw the line? There are far more important matters than people. We can't play the poverty card; the same thing is happening in many parts of the world and I feel the same way regardless of the income of the fishermen. You can't really repair a lot of these damages. The planet matters way more than a bunch of moronic people.

Sharks are one of the only species that don't have a well-regulated hunting agenda. You could say the same argument about poachers that used to kill elephants in Africa (they're poor, its their only job), but clearly some things are worth more than money.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-18-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I hope you know we were only kidding (I speak for myself and assume baddabang was kidding too) and that watching a documentary about overfishing does not in fact make you a hippy, and that I do, in fact care about something other than myself, surfing and mountain biking have made me very aware of litter (on trails) and pollutants (in the water), and i clean up trails when I see trash or floating debris etc.
    Well thanks for the apology, and I hope you do understand where I'm coming from. A lot of decent people are getting sick of being passive and getting labelled hippies by self-serving bigots (I'm not saying that's you, but you know what I mean). Maybe it's funny for some of you, but it's not funny for those of us who are being judged, even if it is done with humour in mind.

Economies create themselves when something is profitable. This is what happened with shark fins (etc). These people illegally work for a pittance, but they wouldn't if there wasn't a market for it. Losing your job is crappy, but again it's a matter of people thinking they're the owners of the earth. Lost jobs are nothing compared to losing a species, especially the massive ecosystem changes brought by depletion of a key species.

The government needs to be able to regulate these things, and that's part of the struggle. The finning industry does a huge amount more damage than other industries - they catch a shark, hack off the fins, and throw it back into the water (alive but finless) to die. I'm never going to eat shark-fin soup.

Losing your job would suck, but where do you draw the line? There are far more important matters than people. We can't play the poverty card; the same thing is happening in many parts of the world and I feel the same way regardless of the income of the fishermen. You can't really repair a lot of these damages. The planet matters way more than a bunch of moronic people.
    No. It's not the fish or even the planet that you should care about. It's the impact it would have on people that destroying a species could have that should matter to you. If we did not, however directly or indirectly, depend on those things they wouldn't matter. Things like this start a domino affect that come back to hurt people, that's why people should care.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 04-18-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Thread Information