Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: na vs turbo vs s/c vs rotary

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    not if you allow it to rev high. high power low weight and less torque too avoid a heavy drive line and less torque steer.
    So, in other words, a Honda VTEC engine.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Power is fine, but you also need to consider TORQUE.
    Not surprised some skipped over that important point

Rotary are good but seriously lack grunt and need constant gear changes - not always feasible mid corner, so too easy to bog down.

I'd be seriously worried about a turbo in a small, light FWD. The risk of power understeer is very high.

SC is adding weight

I'd go n/a
    I'm sure this has been described elsewhere in UCP but I have never understood the benefits of torque. What exactly does torque do to help the car go faster? I read that it waas horsepower at the wheels that determined the torque or something. I just don't understand the benefits of torque I guess! Can someone clue me in?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    You will need to consider that a N/A engine producing the same power output, will be larger and heavier too Actually a pretty tough choice to make
    true. 260hp is pushing it for n/a
    I was thinking 200 HP

But rethinking it, if it's to be something like a Mini then if the engine stays in the front then a heavier engine with that amount of power will really be a BENEFIT and delay lift/wheelspin

Actually 260hp is too much for a small FWD
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I'm sure this has been described elsewhere in UCP but I have never understood the benefits of torque. What exactly does torque do to help the car go faster? I read that it waas horsepower at the wheels that determined the torque or something. I just don't understand the benefits of torque I guess! Can someone clue me in?
    Please fo to the torque thread and not raise this here
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    true. 260hp is pushing it for n/a
    I was thinking 200 HP

But rethinking it, if it's to be something like a Mini then if the engine stays in the front then a heavier engine with that amount of power will really be a BENEFIT and delay lift/wheelspin

Actually 260hp is too much for a small FWD
    And 200KW is actually a little bit over 270bhp...

270bhp is definitely overkill in a front wheel drive car, even with modern drivetrain technology.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And 200KW is actually a little bit over 270bhp...

270bhp is definitely overkill in a front wheel drive car, even with modern drivetrain technology.
    The Civic Type R-R will have 260hp and apparently it copes with it fine.

I'll vote rotary,
    lowest weight of all
    lack of low end torque can be compensated by lower gearing which would not be a problem since rotarys tend to have very high redlines.

Besides, who needs a lot of torque in a subcompact FWD?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    The Civic Type R-R will have 260hp and apparently it copes with it fine.
    Will it still have a normally aspirated engine?

By the way the 3 MPS also has a 260bhp engine and apparently it's a bit of a mess. Altough being turbocharged it has mountains of torque...
    Visca Catalunya!

Will it still have a normally aspirated engine?
    Yes. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lasts_off.html And it has a sequential gearbox...with a clutch pedal!!! Huzzah!!!

By the way the 3 MPS also has a 260bhp engine and apparently it's a bit of a mess. Altough being turbocharged it has mountains of torque...
    Really? By the reviews I've read it's pretty good, especially condiering the massive power and torque of the engine.

Yes. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lasts_off.html And it has a sequential gearbox...with a clutch pedal!!! Huzzah!!!
    This looks like a rally car.
    Really? By the reviews I've read it's pretty good, especially condiering the massive power and torque of the engine.
    I currently don't have the magazine in which the 3 MPS is reviewed and don't remember exactly what it said, but I do remember that as a hot hatch it wasn't on the top. It was very fast yes, but not a fine tuned hot hatch.
    Visca Catalunya!

This looks like a rally car.
    I know, it's truly awesome.

Wow sweet car.

Honda must be proud of that!

130HP/L...

80ms shift time...

drool
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

I don't see how its a successor to a Cossie when its going to be barely any faster and a whole lot uglier.

Looks like it comes pre-riced too.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

If the power output is the same for all engines then the torque output is the same for all engines... Think about it the wankel makes less torque at higher RPM to get it's peak power but because it is at a higher RPM then it can have a larger ratio and put just as much torque to the wheels as a NA piston engine could making the same power at lower RPM.

Fact of life.

The only reason you take something with a flatter torque curve is to increase average power... But in such a light car that doesn't really matter.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Thread Information