Thread: quick question

quick question

about how many miles should a new set of tires last?
    pondering things

The first set of tyres on the Mini (runflat Dunlops) lasted for 46,500km (~28,900mls), but by the end of their life they were really destroyed. I guess it depends on the driving and the type of tyre, but if you do normal driving and use normal tyres they should good for about 40,000km (~24,800mls).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Completely depends on the user and the compound of the tire. You can measure it easily, with a calliper for example.

A safe amount of profile is 2mm or upwards.

I've got 65,000 kms on mine and they're still going strong.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    A safe amount of profile is 2mm or upwards.
    That depends on the country, in the UK the legal limit is 1.6mm but in scandinavian countrys (apparently) the limit is 4mm.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

My Civic came stock with I believe some Goodyears... They lasted for about 13,000 miles only. They were completely 100% gone at 13,000 miles, absolutely ridiculous. I switched over to Pirelli after that, had them for several thousands miles, then I switched to some Kumho with new rims etc and after 8k miles switched back to my old Pirellis. The car is at 62,000 miles with the Pirellis... So I'd say it ran about 40k with the Pirellis so far. Can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    My Civic came stock with I believe some Goodyears... They lasted for about 13,000 miles only. They were completely 100% gone at 13,000 miles, absolutely ridiculous. I switched over to Pirelli after that, had them for several thousands miles, then I switched to some Kumho with new rims etc and after 8k miles switched back to my old Pirellis. The car is at 62,000 miles with the Pirellis... So I'd say it ran about 40k with the Pirellis so far. Can't complain.
    yeah, the pirellis on my mazda have lasted for ages, only the second set of tires i got for that car too.
    the yokohoma's i had on the integra had insane grip but wore out sooner.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    That depends on the country, in the UK the legal limit is 1.6mm but in scandinavian countrys (apparently) the limit is 4mm.
    Legally speaking the minimum here is 1.6mm on summer - and 3mm on winter tires. Although at least 4 and 6mm is recommended.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by targa View Post
    about how many miles should a new set of tires last?
    Depends very much on the kind of tyre (soft compound 'sports' to hard 'taxi style') coupled with vehicle weight & type, power, and of course on driving style ..

My worst: 225/50/16 on Bridgestone Pontenza (soft compound sports tyre) = unroadworthy @ 19,000 km (on 1985 Holden V8)

My best: 195/78/14 on Elite (rock-hard budget taxi-spec) = 100,000 km per set, averaged over 3 sets of Elites (on 1978 Holden V8)

Thread Information