Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Out with the old, in with the new (to me)

I had the (dis)pleasure of driving a Focus SVT Euro edition (one of the yellow ones) yesterday. It had an intake, plugs/wires/high energy distributor, header and full exhaust. And it was a ****ing dog. Seriously. Below 5 grand it had no balls. Then you'd upshift and fall below the 2nd cam profile again.

Handled decently though, and the short shifter was nice. Unfortunate it was so slow. I really liked them until I drove it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I had the (dis)pleasure of driving a Focus SVT Euro edition (one of the yellow ones) yesterday. It had an intake, plugs/wires/high energy distributor, header and full exhaust. And it was a ****ing dog. Seriously. Below 5 grand it had no balls. Then you'd upshift and fall below the 2nd cam profile again.

Handled decently though, and the short shifter was nice. Unfortunate it was so slow. I really liked them until I drove it.
    They're indeed slow.
    As evo magazine puts it: the "engine lacks fizz" and the long gear ratios don't help.

But a few bolt-on engine mods can release some ponies (15/20) and make it far more enjoyable.

The handling on the other hand, is simply amazing! Up there with the best FWDs ever.

Here's a couple old pics of my brother's ST170.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Yeah, it needs torque. It's geared like a turbo car, which almost makes me wonder if that was done with a wink and a grin for modders, almost begging them to turbo/supercharge it. Quiggs, what kind of intake did it have? Almost every aftermarket one saps low-end torque, and full exhausts will do that as well if the pipe diameter is too big. What kind of header did it have? It comes stock with a full header, most people don't bother with putting another one on because the gains are minimal at best, and torque-robbing at worst. Stick to a drop-in filter, a CFM cat, plugs and wires (stock coil is quite adequate and aftermarket units really don't show a difference) and a Diablosport tuner, and your torque is much better on the low end and especially the midrange. I'm sorry your experience wasn't all it could have been!

Now, I wouldn't exactly call it slow either. For a 4-banger, it's quick...just not fast.
    Last edited by jcp123; 05-18-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

If its got VCT (sounds like it does) you should look into if it's possible to get the changeover point lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Yeah, it needs torque. It's geared like a turbo car, which almost makes me wonder if that was done with a wink and a grin for modders, almost begging them to turbo/supercharge it. Quiggs, what kind of intake did it have? Almost every aftermarket one saps low-end torque, and full exhausts will do that as well if the pipe diameter is too big. What kind of header did it have? It comes stock with a full header, most people don't bother with putting another one on because the gains are minimal at best, and torque-robbing at worst. Stick to a drop-in filter, a CFM cat, plugs and wires (stock coil is quite adequate and aftermarket units really don't show a difference) and a Diablosport tuner, and your torque is much better on the low end and especially the midrange. I'm sorry your experience wasn't all it could have been!

Now, I wouldn't exactly call it slow either. For a 4-banger, it's quick...just not fast.
    I don't know. It's a used car at the dealer and I had to deliver parts in it. Then one of the techs brought it in to do pre-sales prep. The header was a name brand part, but I don't recall the name right now. The intake was basically a metal elbow with a K&N on it, and the plugs and wires were some no-name brand.

In fairness, I think if the previous owner had spent his money more wisely, it probably would have been more fun to drive.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Hmm, I'm a little baffled then. The K+N intake is one of the better ones, although I can see where the header and no-name plug wires might cut down on the fun. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    If its got VCT (sounds like it does) you should look into if it's possible to get the changeover point lowered.
    One thing is that the DSI, or Dual-Stage Intake clip can be broken. When this happens, it runs in either the long- or short-ram mode exclusively, I forget which. If it's running in the short-ram mode, then that could really cut down on the fun...

I don't think the VCT is adjustible, but you can run an adjustible cam gear on the non-VCT exhaust cam and gain some low-end with that...

Ah, this pile of bolts.

I look back on this car and think of it as my favorite mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Ah, this pile of bolts.

I look back on this car and think of it as my favorite mistake.
    So... do you still own it?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    So... do you still own it?
    Nope, ended up being a problem child, I dropped that thing like it was a hot rock. Good thing too, as last time I looked around the scene, the depreciation was awful and all of the SVT-specific bumpers, etc. were out of production and hard to find. It would have been a bit like owning a DeLorean, only minus the sense of it being an event to take out and drive.

Thread Information