View Poll Results: Are you wathing?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not intersted.

12 63.16%
  • Yes.

3 15.79%
  • I'm generally interested but haven't been wathing the tournament for some reason.

4 21.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IIHF Moskow 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Tough question. The first few that come to mind from this season are Niko Kapanen, Mikko Koivu and JJ (Jussi Jokinen) and for the goalies Lehtonen. It's funny to notice I've started looking at NHL hockey from a Finnish perspective... Crap, I'm biased.
    The Finns are all so pro though... I liek Saku Koivu, stand up guy. JJ is jokes too - especially in the shootout!

You chould come to Toronto one time. It is pretty basic but we can do lunch, go to the hockey hall of fame, see a leafs game...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The Finns are all so pro though... I liek Saku Koivu, stand up guy. JJ is jokes too - especially in the shootout!
    Yeah, you can't overlook Saku, one of the most sympathetic players in the league IMO.
    You chould come to Toronto one time. It is pretty basic but we can do lunch, go to the hockey hall of fame, see a leafs game...
    I should, I've heard it's clean and nice.

Your 1k post coming up next, don't waste it on something stupid.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

With the absence of games today I thought I might go through my predictions.
    Group A
    #1 SWE, not their best team, but in an easy group. Finishes surprisingly low, 4-8th.
    #2 SUI, the Swiss play better then expected but still has a long way to go.
    4-8th.
    #3 LAT, a tough tournament for Latvia. Not in the top 8. *Latvia had a tougher tournament than I expected, needs a reshuffle if they want to get back in the game for the next tournament*
    #4 ITA, not really a competitor but a filler of the groups. Journey ends here. *a slight surprise in this tournament - still lack a lot in the skill department and getting past round one will be just as unlikely in the future*

Group B
    #1 USA, tough start but a good overall tournament. Finishes in the top 4.
    #2 CZE, strong as usual, finishes in the top 4.
    #3 BLR, did their best but didn't reach the top 8.
    #4 AUT, would've deserved better, but had tough opponents.

Group C
    1# SVK, a strong contender for the top 4 but doesn't quite reach it. 4-8th.
    2# CAN, a strong contender as well and makes it to the top 4.
    3# GER, a good tournament but still not quite on the level with the stronger teams. Unlucky finish just outside the top 8. *A very unlucky finish if I may add*
    4# NOR, not on par with the rest of the group. *well at least Norway fought to keep its place in Group A - Heja Norge!*

Group D
    1# RUS, starts off strong but folds under pressure. 4-8th. *signs of the folding were already seen in a few of the games, namely against Italy. It'll be interesting to see if they can handle the pressure now.*
    2# FIN, shapes up and reaches the top 4.
    3# UKR, beats Denmark but that's their only victory. *replace Denmark with Norway - have fun in group B*
    4# DEN, unable to surprise like they've done in the past. 0 points. *Denmark was a positive surprise again. Perhaps they're in Group A to stay?*
    I guessed the top 8 right, but seeing how the teams are teamed up my top 4 / 4-8th is impossible.

So my new prediction for the top 4 would be:
    USA, SVK, RUS & CAN.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

So my new prediction for the top 4 would be:
    USA, SVK, RUS & CAN.
    I'd expect our team to beat the Americans tomorrow. Although they'll have to improve from the last game against Sweden, that was horrible to watch. Then again USA seemed pretty weak against Canada, so they might wake up for the next game.

Russia - Czech Rebublic will probably be a tough game, but I suppose the Russians will remain victorious.

Sweden should beat Slovakia with good teamplay and 5-men defense, but if the Slovaks can gain edge in the game, Sweden's defensemen and goalie will have a long night.

Canada will crush Switzerland. The Swiss may get a goal or even two, but them beating Canada in a meaningful game would be the biggest surprise in international hockey for a long time.

You guys are lucky to be able to watch all those games. I like Sweden vs. Finland as it kinda reminds me of Canada vs. US; the big country against the smaller one - exciting, ya know?

I think us, the Swedes, the Finns, and the Russians will make it to the last four. Suffice to say, I don't think this would have been much of a tournament if Vinny Marty and Roberto showed up - I am trying not to be a biased Canadian prick, but those three guys - especially Roberto, are amazing. Sorry if that's too nationalistic.

You guys are lucky to be able to watch all those games. I like Sweden vs. Finland as it kinda reminds me of Canada vs. US; the big country against the smaller one - exciting, ya know?
    The Fin-Swe battles are always something more than just another games, maybe even more than Canada - US games as I think we're more even. That could obviously be me being biased, but I don't see us as the automatic underdog unlike the US.

I think us, the Swedes, the Finns, and the Russians will make it to the last four. Suffice to say, I don't think this would have been much of a tournament if Vinny Marty and Roberto showed up - I am trying not to be a biased Canadian prick, but those three guys - especially Roberto, are amazing. Sorry if that's too nationalistic.
    I'm not too familiar with the NHL stars, but first players I'd associate those names would be Lecavalier, Turco and Luongo? Anyway, remember that many other teams missed most of their NHL players too. Sweden for example got one, and I don't consider Alexander Steen of the Leafs as a huge star, at least yet.

it kinda reminds me of Canada vs. US; the big country against the smaller one - exciting, ya know?
    c'mon US isn't that much smaller

btw i'm very keen ice skater, but not hockey player either figure skater. i'm doing it for pure fun and i gotta admit that's one of my favourite sports
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    The Fin-Swe battles are always something more than just another games, maybe even more than Canada - US games as I think we're more even. That could obviously be me being biased, but I don't see us as the automatic underdog unlike the US.

I'm not too familiar with the NHL stars, but first players I'd associate those names would be Lecavalier, Turco and Luongo? Anyway, remember that many other teams missed most of their NHL players too. Sweden for example got one, and I don't consider Alexander Steen of the Leafs as a huge star, at least yet.
    Yeah, I should have been clearer, I meant to say any kind of Canada - US rivalry - a lot of Canadians really dig it when we beat the States but I think it is not something that is to be proud about really.

Yes you were on about the NHL stars, and I know there is a lot less on other teams too - my one complaint is the NHL is the premier American / Canadian league while you guys have players form SM-Liiga and Eliteserien that are pretty much as good as NHLers in some cases... Bah, ok I was being childish and selfish - let's see the best of each country in a WC of Hockey once every 4 years like it should be.

Steen played an OK (read: hot cold) season for Toronto and considers himself a Canadian and a Swede, so that's pretty cool that's he's playing for Sweden; I actually didn't know.

As for Fin-Swe, I would say the Swedes are the favourites but not as much as the Canadians are favourites over the Americans.

If you can twinspark, I suggest that you watch the NHL semi-finals as the lowest seeded team is 4th in the conference and the battles should be really good with the possibility of the 1st and 2nd pointscoring team meeting i nthe Stanley Cup - I have to say that I'd probably watch the end of the SM-Liiga were it broadcast here jsut to see how good the Finnish league is - I hear it is comprable to the American Hockey League (Which is confusingly in Canada and the US) is here - the AHL is the feeder league to the NHL in case you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    c'mon US isn't that much smaller

btw i'm very keen ice skater, but not hockey player either figure skater. i'm doing it for pure fun and i gotta admit that's one of my favourite sports
    Skating is fun as hell eh? Are there a lot of arenas in Poland? You should pick up a stick and a puck for cheap and shoot it around - it is pretty fun regardless of your skill.

If you can twinspark, I suggest that you watch the NHL semi-finals as the lowest seeded team is 4th in the conference and the battles should be really good with the possibility of the 1st and 2nd pointscoring team meeting i nthe Stanley Cup - I have to say that I'd probably watch the end of the SM-Liiga were it broadcast here jsut to see how good the Finnish league is - I hear it is comprable to the American Hockey League (Which is confusingly in Canada and the US) is here - the AHL is the feeder league to the NHL in case you didn't know.
    I would certainly watch the NHL playoffs, I'd probably watch lots of the season matches. The reason I don't is that we only get them on pay channels.

I'm aware of the system over there, the AHL, ECHL and so on, as our local team has some sort of ties with Dallas Stars (and Iowa Stars and Idaho Steelheads IIRC), they've sent us a player or two to develop for a few seasons now. Some of them have been improvements to our team, some haven't. Comparing how some players manage in SM-Liiga and AHL, I'd say that SM-Liiga is a bit behind AHL.

Skating is fun as hell eh? Are there a lot of arenas in Poland? You should pick up a stick and a puck for cheap and shoot it around - it is pretty fun regardless of your skill.
    as for big arenas of american imagination i think there'll be about 15-20 of them in the country, but naturally much smaller, respectively to the interest

there are though many more opened ice rinks with proper serivicing, ice skating is really popular in the winter

about hockey - well i gotta admit i tend to develop very intensively in the sports i'm picking up, and i'm afraid hockey won't be one of them because of horrendus training programme and enviroment of players...
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    I would certainly watch the NHL playoffs, I'd probably watch lots of the season matches. The reason I don't is that we only get them on pay channels.

I'm aware of the system over there, the AHL, ECHL and so on, as our local team has some sort of ties with Dallas Stars (and Iowa Stars and Idaho Steelheads IIRC), they've sent us a player or two to develop for a few seasons now. Some of them have been improvements to our team, some haven't. Comparing how some players manage in SM-Liiga and AHL, I'd say that SM-Liiga is a bit behind AHL.
    That sucks. Cool you know about all the NHL's junk though. Probably know more about me - I know my Leafies and should read more about the NHL but I do not. You should go chill with Pando then to watch the games (however impractical and far away that may be). Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    as for big arenas of american imagination i think there'll be about 15-20 of them in the country, but naturally much smaller, respectively to the interest

there are though many more opened ice rinks with proper serivicing, ice skating is really popular in the winter

about hockey - well i gotta admit i tend to develop very intensively in the sports i'm picking up, and i'm afraid hockey won't be one of them because of horrendus training programme and enviroment of players...
    Are you referring to the Polish hockey system?

Great news form the IIHF!

Victoria Cup

The NHL is finally becoming slightly progessive in it's views!

This sprot is a small sport! It needs to be grown! International competition and the rule of the IIHF needs to be enfroced mreo in the NHL! I am so excited for the Victoria Cup! Finally Hockey will have a club competition akin to soccer!

The only thing we need now isa once every four years WC with best of 5 or best of 7 final rounds. That would be amazing!

So, after a tough match all the way to shootout between Finland and the USA, the quarterfinals are finally done. The semifinals will be:

Russia - Finland and

Canada - Sweden

Russia has been dominant all through the tournament, and shouldn't have trouble beating Finland again. Canada vs. Sweden might be a more interesting game, but I'm expecting Canada to take it to the Final.

I think both games will be great to watch!

Quite a surprise, Russia is out! Finland goes to the final!

Thread Information