View Poll Results: Are you wathing?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not intersted.

12 63.16%
  • Yes.

3 15.79%
  • I'm generally interested but haven't been wathing the tournament for some reason.

4 21.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IIHF Moskow 2007

Hyvää Suomi!

Thanks for giving the Russians a bloody nose, it was really sweet to watch.

Punakone ei jyrää enää, kiitos ja näkemiin!

Well, under many other cirmstances I would be rooting for the Finns but with Canada still in it, I have to sadly say I hope we crush your dreams.

Don't worry, I don't think most of Finland believes in our victory. That was the same against Russia though. After that game, I actually believe that we will see a good finale to the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Don't worry, I don't think most of Finland believes in our victory. That was the same against Russia though. After that game, I actually believe that we will see a good finale to the tournament.
    Here's hoping. May the team that plays best win!

WOO! Saw the 3rd period, Canada was kinda lazy but Nash ended it!

WAHOO!

Go Canada Go!

Good game from the Finns too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    May the team that plays best win!
    As said, Canada was better, though Finland got the momentum for a while in the 3rd period. The first two periods, Canada pushed hard, got a few powerplays and gained enough advantage to put the Finns down for some time.

Next year the world champs will be held in Canada, so there should be a lot more NHL players in the teams, giving more value to the whole tournament.

Overall it was a great tournament, I'm a little disappointed Lehtonen among others had their worst game of the tournament in the finals and of course the result was a disappointment as well. Losing the finals was a bit too familiar, seams like it's always Canada or Sweden that beats us as well. But Canada deserved the win, they played solid throughout the tournament.

Nonetheless after letting the silver sink in for a few days I can't find much negative to say. The Finns played well, and the tournament as a whole was good. I'm especially satisfied with the results displayed by the younger players in the Finnish team, Viuhkola, Koistinen etc and the ones you already can expect a lot from; Tuomo Ruutu, Lehtinen and especially Lehtonen. I'm not going to start with the "what if's" but it was very unfortunate that Finland's best player (Nummelin) was injured against USA and wasn't able to play in the remaining two games.

...and the tournament left me with probably the best sports moment in recent years:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3igqUSnS3I
    Mertaranta ftw!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

That was some sick announcing. I wish it was like that over here.

That was some sick announcing. I wish it was like that over here.
    Yeah, Mertaranta is the greatest. Finnish hockey wouldn't be the same without him.

edit:

While on youtube I found some other highlights as well:

IIHF WC 1999 Finland - Russia battle over group victory a tie would be enough for Finland:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wB6vU2VMk

...and the shootout from this years semifinals against the US, it's a tad bit long, but I enjoy watching it as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyygAPY0Mtc

...and of course the highlights from the IIHF WC finals in Stockholm back in 1995. My friend keep watching this video to get hyped up to this years games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C459ii0F6uA
    Last edited by Pando; 05-16-2007 at 11:13 AM.
    - Are YOU listed? -

I loved the shot at the end with the Camera at him - that was amazing. Shame you guys didn't win though (sorta ). I always cheer for Finland once Canada is out as you guys are hardcore into hockey and have just a population of 5 million people - that is about the amount of people in the Greater Toronto Area!

Does he announce for SM-Liiga?

I have to say I don't know... Perhaps Aki has more information?

edit:

I did a small search and no he does not. He has however announced for football and various track and field events. And he has his own TV show.
    Last edited by Pando; 05-16-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Nope, mostly just international hockey nowadays. He's all for the game but has his flaws too. Sometimes he's viewing the game through his blue and white glasses too much, he does know it and tries to make fun of it too though.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Nope, mostly just international hockey nowadays. He's all for the game but has his flaws too. Sometimes he's viewing the game through his blue and white glasses too much, he does know it and tries to make fun of it too though.
    His flaws is why I love him. Who else would describe a shot as "Pistää kiekon ylämummoon" (loose translation: puts the puck in the uppergranny)? His off-topic stories are great as well. But sure, there are many hockey enthusiasts who dislike him for his nonsense ramblings as well.

Katsokaa tätä meteliä.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    His flaws is why I love him. Who else would describe a shot as "Pistää kiekon ylämummoon" (loose translation: puts the puck in the uppergranny)? His off-topic stories are great as well. But sure, there are many hockey enthusiasts who dislike him for his nonsense ramblings as well.

Katsokaa tätä meteliä.
    I think ylämummo was originally part of Timo Jutila's vocabulary.

As for Mertaranta's flaws, sometimes I feel he must be the only person viewing the match thatis expecting a penalty for the other team when it's obvious that a Finnish player is about to get penalised. I also had to laugh when he yelled "Good shot!" after a shot on Finnish powerplay that passed the goal more than a meter away from the "ylämummo".

But he's a great character anyway, that's why most people like him of course. And he's not a bad announcer either, I think there's better ones but there's absolutely a lot worse ones too.

Thread Information