Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The epitome of American ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Don't they slow to around 125 on the turn?
    I don't know because I don't watch it. One of my Cadillac friends does, though, so I'll ask him next time I see him.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    High Five!
    What is your reaction time?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    it kind of is ... you steer on the straights to keep it goign in a straight line so you dont' ahv eto put too much in on the corners.
    Silly
    What about Pocono or Watkins Glen?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What about Pocono or Watkins Glen?
    Or Infineon! Yes! Oh Yeah! Right turns.. yes!

C'mon d00ds, NASCAR is a nice thing to watch on a lazy Sunday morning with a tall glass of beer and a plate of hot food. You guys can cry and yell all you want about 'dem rednex and da beer kans, but I like NASCAR and I'll defend it to the death. Plus, 20-30 drunken southern rebels throwing cans of Budweiser =/= riot. THIS is a riot.

About it's ease of 'mastery', Juan Pablo Montoya hasn't been demolishing the competition in any of the races this season (I think his best finish is 3rd), and he has a very competent car, with a very distinguished racing resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    it kind of is ... you steer on the straights to keep it goign in a straight line so you dont' ahv eto put too much in on the corners.
    Silly
    I actually watched hte end of that race.
    29 cars all withgin 3 seconds of each other because of cautions.
    How is that racing ????
    It's interesting that there have been rumours and whispers amongst NASCAR fans for a while now about the so-called "Phantom Yellows" being thrown in the closing laps of the race to bunch the fields up for a grandstand finish. Last week there was even dissension amongst the ranks of the NASCAR elite with two-time champ Tony Stewart comparing NASCAR to WWE wrestling with the way it rigs the finishes for entertainment value...

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated
    Stewart likens NASCAR to wrestling

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Two-time champion Tony Stewart likened NASCAR to professional wrestling and accused it of using bogus caution flags to shape races in biting comments made on his weekly radio show.

Stewart's appearance on his Tuesday night show was his first since skipping a post-race press conference in Phoenix. He dominated Saturday night's race but lost after a late exchange of leads with winner Jeff Gordon. Stewart said he refused interviews to avoid bashing NASCAR after officials threw four cautions for debris on the track.

"It's like playing God," he said on his Sirius Satellite Radio program. "They can almost dictate the race instead of the drivers doing it. It's happened too many times this year."

Stewart, who said he was fighting a fever and left the two-hour show early, went on to say fans are complaining about debris cautions and NASCAR isn't listening.

"I guess NASCAR thinks 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too,"' he said. "I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR.

"I don't know that they've run a fair race all year."

NASCAR called Stewart's comments "very, very disappointing."

[...]

"To me, it's not all about the money, it's about the integrity of the sport," he said on his radio program. "When I feel our own sanctioning body isn't taking care of that, it's hard to support them and feel proud about being a driver in the Nextel Cup Series when they're throwing debris cautions."
    His comments may well have been prompted more out of frustration than anything else, but everything clearly isn't rosy in the land of NASCAR.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    His comments may well have been prompted more out of frustration than anything else, but everything clearly isn't rosy in the land of NASCAR.
    Yeah, it's been a big problem lately. Towards the end of the race, stewards are told to throw the yellow flag for debris cautions, but the debris is either non-existent or something so small on the infield that has no effect on the cars. They feel that bunching the group of cars together at the end will provide an exciting finish for the fans, but everyone's getting sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    It's interesting that there have been rumours and whispers amongst NASCAR fans for a while now about the so-called "Phantom Yellows" being thrown in the closing laps of the race to bunch the fields up for a grandstand finish. Last week there was even dissension amongst the ranks of the NASCAR elite with two-time champ Tony Stewart comparing NASCAR to WWE wrestling with the way it rigs the finishes for entertainment value...

I think NASCAR is starting to self destruct.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    You're right, there should have been bloody riots in the streets. Don't ignorant american sports fans know how to riot correctly?! sheesh.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    At least it has fans. Cough, ALMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    God I hope so.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    True, but it was Martinsville. A couple of seasons ago he did wreck Jimmy Johnson for a win, though I can't remember which race. It wasn't the first time either. Sorry I can't site a better instance, but I'm not a NASCAR fan. I just live in the middle of NASCAR country and repeat what i hear at work on mondays.
    He would NEVER wreck Jimmie Johnson, they're teammates.

As for Dale Jr, he's been suffering from bad luck, because he's not that bad of a driver. Earnharts Sr. and Jr. swept the 24hrs. of Daytona several years ago and Dale Jr.'s did some racing for the Corvette team.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Hey! Shut it! ALMS is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    God I hope so.
    I kinda wish it would turn into V8 Supercars.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The only reason ALMS doesn't have fans is because of NASCAR.

About it's ease of 'mastery', Juan Pablo Montoya hasn't been demolishing the competition in any of the races this season (I think his best finish is 3rd), and he has a very competent car, with a very distinguished racing resume.
    Didn't he take first on some road course in Mexico?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Thread Information