Thread: HELP! .... Windows Media Player

HELP! .... Windows Media Player

I need some help here, lately when I play a video using WMP - doesn't seem to matter the format - I lose picture before it is finished and all that remains is sound.

I'm a technical lameass so it is very possible that I'm overlooking something very simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I need some help here, lately when I play a video using WMP - doesn't seem to matter the format - I lose picture before it is finished and all that remains is sound.

I'm a technical lameass so it is very possible that I'm overlooking something very simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

do you get any picture atall??

it might be woth trying to open i tin something else like DIVx player that might work
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I use a programa called "BS Player" I have all the codecs and I haven't had any problem at all with it. A friend send it to me though so I don't know exactly where to download it from. But I'll try to find out.

Sorry, don't know what could be your media player problem.

or you could try WinAmp at www.winamp.com

You may all know me as a car guy, but I have a flip personality as a SUPER-NERD!

Okay, first off, what file format is this? If it is a certain one you might need to download a special codec for it to run properly.

It seems to have started a few weeks ago, if I clicked onto a link for a video, I would see most of it before I lose picture. I have no problem when it opens with Quicktime, but if I save it (save target as) it will play about ¾ of the video then the picture would go black but the sound still works.

Could it be that my WMP seems to save all video as a MPEG?
    Or is it a RAM problem (I have only 128Mb of RAM)?

no memory problem . i have 32 and usually i have no problem .. it could be codec problems ..
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Codec problems? My problem with codecs is that I don't know what they are , I did download the latest version of WMP ... but with the same results.

A problem with my integrated video card perhaps?

hey policeman! (looks at # of posts you have )
    okay, so.....this file format....what is it? (the extension, such as .jpg (pics)) Second, have you tried reinstalling WMP? Third, sys specs? Fourth, what codecs do you have installed (look in your video properties in the control panel)? Finally, What WMP version and Windows version (i assume this is windows since you are asking about WMP) are you running?
    Hopefully we can solve this problem, I hate it when programs just do weird things or decide to cut out on me.

EDIT: try using thw windows update thingy in help and support and see is that WMP version is different from the one you got.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    A problem with my integrated video card perhaps?
    or DirectX ( there was a problem with 8 with some vid cars and codecs )

So get the latest drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer.
    Get the latest DirectX from Microsoft.

What OS are we talking ??
    Have you installed DivX ? Again, there are known codec problems but THEY usually arise when the codec is initialised at the start.

There's an excellent link on codecs and their problems/resolution at http://www.eicsoftware.com/pictures/...e-MM2/MM2.html
    Click on Problem seolving at LHS and the acceleration and codecs for some useful info and guide.

Personally I think you've a mix of different versions of driver or DirectX and ending up with a memory leak that causes it to crash after a while. Is it the same length of time on all videos ? Have you tried mpg, avi, wmv to see if they all fail ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information