Thread: 1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird(MN-12 body)

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!

1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird(MN-12 body)

Some people may be wonderng why I'd choose this car. First, I own one. Second, I think that compared to many cars people around here enjoy, this car has quite a bit of potential despite its shortcomings.

Production: 1989-1997
    Assembly: Lorain, Ohio
    Body style: 2-door coupe
    Platform: Ford MN12 platform
    Engine: 3.8 L Essex V6 (NA/SC)
    5.0 L Windsor V8
    4.6 L Modular V8
    Transmission: 4-speed automatic
    Wheelbase: 113.0 in (2870 mm)
    Length: 198.7 in (5047 mm)
    Width: 72.7 in
    Height: 52.5 in
    Curb weight: 3701 lb (1679 kg)

0-60:
    1995 Ford Thunderbird SC: 7.0
    1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8: 7.9

1/4 mile
    1995 Ford Thunderbird SC: 15.2
    1996 Ford Thunderbird LX: V8 15.8

The 'superbird'(1989 - 1997 MN-12) thunderbirds were not popular cars among sports enthusiasts, but they were very nice cars to drive. Very smooth and luxurious. They suffered from bad weight to power ratios early in their lineup. The '89 SC version only had 210hp but weighed over 3700 lbs. Later version s were improved. The 95 SC models were 230hp and 330 ft·lb torque.

These cars were a new direction for ford styling that became pretty standard for most ford cars in the mid to late 90s. Due to their very smooth styling, and despite their weight, they achieved 24-28 mpg on highway. Today, the car seems old and common, but for its time it was quite different and exciting.

I personally still own a thunderbird LX, and it is not bad on gas for its size, and has a lot of torque. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable, the interior is extremely nice for a ford, much better than the 90's mustangs, finished in cream colored leather.

"In 1996, the Thunderbird received its last styling update. Available in LX (V6 or V8) or Sport (V8 only) trims, both featured redesigned headlights and taillights, smoother re-styled front and rear fascias, body side cladding, new wheels (15 inch on LX, 16 inch on Sport), and a slight hood bulge, which was necessary to fit the updated 4.6L engine's taller intake manifold, now composite. V8 models still made 205 hp, but now made 280 ft·lbs (380 N·m) of torque, an increase of 15 ft·lbf (20 N·m). Unfortunately for owners, the composite intake had a tendency to crack and leak antifreeze. The base LX model continued to use the 3.8L V6 as its engine but now made use of the EEC-V computer which before was only found in 4.6L V8-equipped models. Torque output from the V6 remained the same as before but horsepower increased to 145 for 1996. In 1997, Ford made few notable changes, trying to save as much money as they could on the floundering coupe. As a result, the 1997 Thunderbird's appeal suffered even more, as the only options available were power sunroof, power driver seat, remote keyless entry, and a CD player. A low drag coefficient contributed to an impressive and consistent 24-28 mpg on the highway. The last MN-12 Thunderbird rolled off the assembly line in Lorain, Ohio, on September 4, 1997." -Wiki

Many of these cars are still around today, and due to their age cheaply priced. Because of price and their larger engine, it is not uncommon to see them modified.

"In 1997 high performance Thunderbirds were released. The four prototypes produced by Ford's Special Vehicle Engineering division came with Cobra "R" brakes and wheels, a Tremec 5-speed manual transmission, and featured a 4.6 liter, DOHC V8 engine similar to that found in the SVT Mustang Cobra. The SVE Thunderbirds also came with a cowl hood to accommodate the Eaton supercharger sitting atop the modular motor. However, this high-performance Thunderbird was not to be, as Ford not only pulled the plug on this project, but on the entire Thunderbird/Cougar line to close the 1997 model year. The last MN-12 Thunderbird rolled off the assembly line in Lorain, Ohio, on September 4, 1997."

If anyone can find some pictures and stats for these SVE thunderbirds, I would be very happy. I wanted to do a post about them, but its extremely difficult to find information, as only 4 were made, only 2 exist today, and it was a version of an only mildly popular car.

Pictures:
    First is 40th anniversary two color paint for the 1995 special LX edition. Second is leather interior for 1996 version (95 version has cupholders inside that compartment inbetween the seats, and a change holder/cigarette lighter where they are). Third is a 1993 supercoupe, Fourth is a '90 soupercoupe engine, 5th picture is the 1996 restyling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 05-08-2007 at 03:10 PM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I love the Thunderbirds And am a proud owner of a 1977, I almost bought a 95' T-Bird with the V-8 In it...The only problem I found with them however is that the V-6 Versions Of the car Have problems with the Head Gaskets and a tendancy To blow them when my grandparents had a 1993 V6 Thunderbird they had it for 1 1/2 years and put 3 new head gaskets in it, Other people i talk to have had no problems with it same year same Model....Other than that that they are a great car I would get one if i had the money

I always loved the pre-update versions of this bird. Or more to the point, the SC versions. The car was even available with a stick shift. The picture you have is the later interior. Personally, though the earlier interior looks more dated I prefer it over that one.

It's a two-door Crown Vic, and all the more glorious for it; a true American car.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    It's a two-door Crown Vic, and all the more glorious for it; a true American car.
    I didnt actually know there was a 2 door version of the crown vic

and its not particarly heavy compared to some other "performance" offerings out there either I see plently of potential in that
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    AFAIK it's not related to the Crown Vic. It's related with the Mercury Cougar and the Lincoln Continental Mark VIII.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Correct on the cougar, they were very close looking cars, with the cougar having this strange vertical back window that didn't match very well XD

The Continental wasn't exactly the same, it was a modified platform called FN10, which primarily was larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_MN12_platform
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information