Thread: Variable Geometry Turbos

Variable Geometry Turbos

I am starting a project for school where i need to reasearch a solution to a problem and think of a way to implement it in the fiel d of Engineering (which i am studying).

I chose Variable geometry Turbos (VGT), as in the (997) 911 turbo, over regular turbos. The problems were were high boost threshold and turbo lag, and these are supposed to be much improved by VGT.

Now, My problem is, since VGT is fairly new technology, and my university has the crappiest library ive ever seen i canot find any books one VGT.

So I come to you, in search of help.
    I need Any kind of information you can find on VGT. Simply post the link or tell me about what you know. I have done some searching and found some very good articles on the SAE website but I think i need to buy them to see them in full.ANY help is appreciated.

Please post relieble sources,(nevermind to wiki-it) for i will need to quote them if i use them. Unreliable sources are also welcome since i have to learn as much about this as possible.

Thank You in advance.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

sorry mate, i ran a search on the university library database, found plenty of articles but can't access them
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

Here's all the info you need (from the GT2 thread):

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Variable vane turbos are part technology and part magic.
    Quote of the day definetly. Include it in your report.

Excellent project subject if I may say so ZeTurbo.

Sorry mate, but our libraries catalog is offline for maintenance today. However if you need good information you can try to look for these little yellow books by Bosch. Excellent stuff on almost anything on a car.

If you can read German, you can try and buy (very expensive.. 100's of €)or borrow/loan some parts of the Vieweg Handbuch KraftfahrzeugTechnik. Excellent books with very clear drawings and lots of them.

Other things you can try are to email manufacturers with questions and/or turbo revision companies. From my experience they are usually quite helpful.

Good luck !
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-12-2007 at 01:00 AM.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/files/l...ry_108_110.pdf

Borg-Warner site gives access to lots of their technical.
    As drakkie says do the same with Garret et al
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

When digging through some stuff in my room, I found a small book in Dutch about damages to turbo's (not neccesarily VGT's). If you are interested, you may have it...

EDIT:

our libraries catalog is back online. I couldnt find a specific book about turbo's (!!)... Likely if I dig into the huge collection that i'd find something about them in a book with all kinds of subjects. Let me know if you need it.
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-12-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    Now, My problem is, since VGT is fairly new technology, and my university has the crappiest library ive ever seen i canot find any books one VGT.
    Its only new to petrol engines, you might be able to source some information about the mechanics involved from diesel engines, which have used variable vanes for a while now.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

2nd link, great stuff thank you!!

Great links these two

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Here's all the info you need (from the GT2 thread):

Quote of the day definetly. Include it in your report.

Excellent project subject if I may say so ZeTurbo.
    I think my teacher would have a fit i put something like that in. He is really insisting we are proffessional about this...

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Its only new to petrol engines, you might be able to source some information about the mechanics involved from diesel engines, which have used variable vanes for a while now.
    relly? i saw that somwhere too, i think Cummins had a VGT in 2002 for trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/files/l...ry_108_110.pdf

Borg-Warner site gives access to lots of their technical.
    As drakkie says do the same with Garret et al
    Yes i have been looking for this studff. Borg-Warner make the VGT in the new Turbo if im not mistaken, which is the inspiration behind this project

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Sorry mate, but our libraries catalog is offline for maintenance today. However if you need good information you can try to look for these little yellow books by Bosch. Excellent stuff on almost anything on a car.

If you can read German, you can try and buy (very expensive.. 100's of €)or borrow/loan some parts of the Vieweg Handbuch KraftfahrzeugTechnik. Excellent books with very clear drawings and lots of them.

Other things you can try are to email manufacturers with questions and/or turbo revision companies. From my experience they are usually quite helpful.

Good luck !
    that link doesnt work for some reason.

Amazing stuff guys, THANK YOU ALL! This is great feedback!

keep posting if u find anything else, or pm me.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I wouldn't be surprised if VGT were in use in the 40's and 50's in piston aircraft. A very similar idea has been used since early in the jet age. Many jet engines feature variable geometry vanes in their compressor and turbine sections. Remember that fundamentally a turbo is in many ways like the compressor and turbine parts of a jet engine. All the turbo manufactures I can think of have made both at some point.

GE started making turbos then moved to jets.
    Garret/Allied Signal/Honeywell does both.
    Mitsubishi does turbos and I think either complete jet engines or parts of engines.
    IHI does turbos and I think works with GE on large jet engines.

Also, many of these ideas we talk about today aren't new at all. What is new is the ability to produce them at a price that makes them viable in production cars rather than just in aircraft or long haul trucks.

Thread Information