Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 406 Coupé as first car?

Seriously. If you can afford to buy, maintain and insure a 406 Coupe, do it.

You'll be driving a style Icon and no doubt get some attention
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    1) Boring, conservative cars. That was kind of the strategy of PSA back then, look at the Citroen models of then too...

2) Anyone heard of a TurboDiesel No really, the diesels I have driven (Avensis D4D and Primera 2.0 and 2.2 TDi) were not at all limited by a narrow powerband... Whatever your used to I guess indeed !

3) Nope The current particle filters do their job well. CO2 levels are also a LOT lower. Hydrogen cars are the worst polluters in a odd way
    The 406, boring? If you ask me, the much-loved 205 GTi lacked the pizzaz of the three models I mentioned- then there's the 106 GTi.

How is this a 'boring, conservative car'?

And I've driven the mighty 1.9TDi from VAG, which had most of the power between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm- not quite the same as the 3,000-6,000 I get from my humble 206...

I have driven the Toyota 2.0D4D, which also had a limited powerband, and ran out of puff at around 4,000rpm. That is why it's a different driving experience- petrols peak, diesels don't.

If that's the case, then why are diesels considered to be one of the worst polluters as far as nitrogen dioxide is concerned? The British government (in their infinite wisdom) were planning at one stage for a different taxing scheme for diesels. I hope you suffer from asthma- then you can have a wonderful diesel completely screwing with your health. How are they so clean when, if you press the accelerator, you belch out clouds of black smoke?

I say if you can afford the insurance on it then go for it. Insurance is relatively cheap in France anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    How are they so clean when, if you press the accelerator, you belch out clouds of black smoke?
    that is what a particulate filter prevents.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

3) Nope The current particle filters do their job well. CO2 levels are also a LOT lower. Hydrogen cars are the worst polluters in a odd way
    particulate filters do nothing to CO2. Diesels produce less CO2 because they consume less fuel.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that is what a particulate filter prevents.....
    It obviously doesn't do a very good job...

It obviously doesn't do a very good job...
    show me a car with filter that does what you describe....

show me a car with filter that does what you describe....
    The Fabia vRS, for one. When I bagged a test drive in one, the chap who got it out of the space for me to drive it belted it one, and in that harsh burst of acceleration there was enough black smoke to cover a spy with.

particulate filters do nothing to CO2. Diesels produce less CO2 because they consume less fuel.
    also because diesel fuel blends contain less carbon than petrol.
    autozine.org

The Fabia vRS, for one. When I bagged a test drive in one, the chap who got it out of the space for me to drive it belted it one, and in that harsh burst of acceleration there was enough black smoke to cover a spy with.
    did it have a filter? VAG has been very slow in applying them....(and they are phasing out the pump jet engines in favour of common rail models)

did it have a filter? VAG has been very slow in applying them....(and they are phasing out the pump jet engines in favour of common rail models)
    Skoda say it should have one, but this was one of the first vRS models released (looking at a reasonable budget). So, it may have done. Apparently it does have one to be Euro IV compliant.

The 406, boring? If you ask me, the much-loved 205 GTi lacked the pizzaz of the three models I mentioned- then there's the 106 GTi.

How is this a 'boring, conservative car'?
    The base models were what I was talkign about.

And I've driven the mighty 1.9TDi from VAG, which had most of the power between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm- not quite the same as the 3,000-6,000 I get from my humble 206...

I have driven the Toyota 2.0D4D, which also had a limited powerband, and ran out of puff at around 4,000rpm. That is why it's a different driving experience- petrols peak, diesels don't.

If that's the case, then why are diesels considered to be one of the worst polluters as far as nitrogen dioxide is concerned? The British government (in their infinite wisdom) were planning at one stage for a different taxing scheme for diesels. I hope you suffer from asthma- then you can have a wonderful diesel completely screwing with your health. How are they so clean when, if you press the accelerator, you belch out clouds of black smoke?
    Yes I did have asthma and because of my stupidities in my roaring past it partly returned... Anyway the governments and the environmentalists have cleary been misinformed ! Our Dutch government was thinking of banning diesels, because of some silly arguments... The damage by NOx is compared to all the other disadvatages much smaller.

You should not forget the extra waste produced by the refineries in the more elaborate distilling process. Overall it doesn't make a single difference in emissions and is at almost all points better and is much nicer and better to drive.

Do you even know how an particle filter combined with an EGR works, mate ? The smoke you might see is from the burning of residu of the filter. This process removes the harmfull stuff and creates some other chemicals of it. It usually happens at about every 5000 km's and it might have been what you saw as it usually happens when the engine reaches higher exhaust temperatures.

The base models were what I was talkign about.
    So you're comparing a GTi to base models? Great logic...

Kitty still looks pretty sharp to me. She's offended by your comments, and will run you over if she ever makes a trip to the Netherlands.

Yes I did have asthma and because of my stupidities in my roaring past it partly returned... Anyway the governments and the environmentalists have cleary been misinformed ! Our Dutch government was thinking of banning diesels, because of some silly arguments... The damage by NOx is compared to all the other disadvatages much smaller.
    Read this.

You should not forget the extra waste produced by the refineries in the more elaborate distilling process. Overall it doesn't make a single difference in emissions and is at almost all points better and is much nicer and better to drive.
    I know diesel comes lower in the refinery chain than petrol, but since when was aeroplane fuel (the lowest) cleaner than diesel?

Do you even know how an particle filter combined with an EGR works, mate ? The smoke you might see is from the burning of residu of the filter. This process removes the harmfull stuff and creates some other chemicals of it. It usually happens at about every 5000 km's and it might have been what you saw as it usually happens when the engine reaches higher exhaust temperatures.
    Don't patronise me. I know fully well how a particulate filter works, I've been looking into getting a diesel car for quite some time to try and work out the advtanges. As far as I can see, you need to maintain a particulate filter more than a catalytic converter (presumably to clean out all the crap produced by a diesel engine). I do appreciate diesels, but I will not accept that they are 'cleaner' than petrol engines, because they have different ways of polluting. They cannot be compared like-for-like- petrols rev high, with more efficient power outputs (probably because of the more refined fuel). Diesels seem to need a turbo to be acceptable- have you ever looked at the power figure for the 1.7SDI diesel engine? It's nowhere near the natune output of a 1.7 petrol engine, such as the Yamaha 1.7 in the Ford Puma. I know both are tuned differently, but the disadvantage in the SDI is obvious.

If you want to bring turbodiesels into it, go ahead- but I'll be waiting with some prime examples of turbopetrols.

I know diesel comes lower in the refinery chain than petrol, but since when was aeroplane fuel (the lowest) cleaner than diesel?
    because kerosine is a lighter product than gas/diesel oil....

because kerosine is a lighter product than gas/diesel oil....
    Exactly. IIRC it comes after 9 or 10 distilling columns.

Thread Information