Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 961 1986-1987

Porsche 961 1986-1987

Porsche 961 #1

The Porsche 961 was a racing car, based on a modified Porsche 959 developed for Group B category to be run alongside Group C in WEC (World Endurance Championship) races, which was a replacement for Group 4.

After the FIA cancelled Group B for circuit cars at the end of 1985, due to lack of interest from entries, a 959 was redeveloped into the 961 to race also in the IMSA GTX category, which made its debut at the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1986. The only other race beside Le Mans it competed in was the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1987. Its career was short-lived as on its third race, during the 24 hours of Le Mans in the same year, the sole class entrant was destroyed by fire. As it was developed as a customer racer Porsche attracted not a single customer mainly due its high price tag, as the cost of the car at the time was $325,000, privateers decided it would be much cheaper to buy a 962 and enter it into the IMSA GTP category and seek overall victory rather than settle for a class win, hence being the sole car Porsche built.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The second pic is very interesting. It looks like it's not as modified as the Rothmans car. Anyone knows the story behind it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The second pic is very interesting. It looks like it's not as modified as the Rothmans car. Anyone knows the story behind it?
    Looking at the 2nd pic, I'd say its a privately-modded 959, and not a 961. Interesting how the 961 in pic #1 is reminiscent of the 935 K3

Could anybody explain to me why the double spoiler? Über downforce...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Could anybody explain to me why the double spoiler? Über downforce...
    I think the lower wing gives low to none downforce so they put a "normal" one to give the downforce they wanted.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I think the lower wing gives low to none downforce so they put a "normal" one to give the downforce they wanted.
    Why would you say that?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Why would you say that?
    Well, it's looks like it, i'm guessing the lower wing gives very little downforce, about 1/10 or less than what the "normal" one gives, it doesn't even have a tip spoiler.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Well, it's looks like it, i'm guessing the lower wing gives very little downforce, about 1/10 or less than what the "normal" one gives, it doesn't even have a tip spoiler.
    I'm puzzled how you get to this figure. Do you have any knowledge of aerodynamics? A wing can work well even without a Gurney (your tip spoiler).
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I've heard that the 959 had rather little downforce actually. No corroborating evidence though.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I've heard that the 959 had rather little downforce actually. No corroborating evidence though.
    A little downforce is quite the improvement on the lift that most road cars will naturally generate.

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisEvo View Post
    A little downforce is quite the improvement on the lift that most road cars will naturally generate.
    True, but go racing it's generally nice to have more than a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I'm puzzled how you get to this figure. Do you have any knowledge of aerodynamics? A wing can work well even without a Gurney (your tip spoiler).
    Obviusly i have knowledge in aerodinamics, i wouldn't be talking about it if i didn't, and it's clear the lower wing is not as usefull in the aerodinamic effort as the upper one, the figures are "made up" just to explain my point, the wing would work well if it was about 3 or 4 times bigger than it is, again, just throwing numbers but you get the point

Obviously i have knowledge in aerodinamics
    it's not obvious to me, how can i tell this from your username
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it's not obvious to me, how can i tell this from your username
    I'll have trouble sleeping tonight...

I don't believe i need a degree in aeodinamics to know something about it, afterall we all know something about cars and never went to "car school"

And your opinion on the wings is?
    Last edited by ruim20; 05-17-2007 at 01:48 AM.

I don't believe i need a degree in aeodinamics to know something about it, afterall we all know something about cars and never went to "car school"
    I study Motorsport Engineering.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information