View Poll Results: To what extent should we allow editing in the photo comps, according to you ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any editing should be allowed

3 6.98%
  • Only slight editing should be allowed, such as contrast/saturation adjusts

20 46.51%
  • Editing shouldn't be allowed in any way

20 46.51%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Editing in the Photo Competitions

Editing in the Photo Competitions

Here is the current rule :

The photograph must be the original upload and not edited in any way other than mild adjustments in contrast and saturation, cropping and black & white conversions
    PLEASE DON'T VOTE IF YOU HAVE NEVER TAKEN PART IN THE PHOTO COMPS
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 05-15-2007 at 07:58 AM.

You should not make compromises just because the cheaters asked for it.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

In my opinion, the current rules should not be changed. People who know various editing methods would have an advantage over people who do not know about editing methods. Many people cannot use photoshop properly (for editing photographs).
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    In my opinion, the current rules should not be changed. People who know various editing methods would have an advantage over people who do not know about editing methods. Many people cannot use photoshop properly (for editing photographs).
    Exactly!
    Then the current rules have to be changed.
    Editing IS allowed now.

My opinion is probably clear by now.

Either way, there will always be a difference between people who shot in JPEG and those who do in RAW...

Car manufacturers have certain skills others don't have. Should they therefor all produce the same cars ?

Whatever happened to just taking a photo and relying on your knowledge of your own camera and technical skill to get a good shot? Or is it so that those who can't use their equipment properly stand a chance of winning?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Car manufacturers have certain skills others don't have. Should they therefor all produce the same cars ?
    What the hell has that got to do with anything?

Firstly, this is a photo competition FOR FUN. It is not a professional competition, there is no prize money on offer, therefore any comparison to a professional industry is totally irrelevant.

Secondly, where on earth do you get the idea that if people are forbidden from using editing that they will end up with the same result? That's just daft. These photo competitions have run for several years with major editing banned, and the diversity in subject, style and imagination has been remarkable. I think the way the competitions have existed thus far has been an absoulte credit to the forum, I really see no reason why a successful formula should be changed.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post

maybe your missing the point, do you want a photo editing competition or a photo taking competition?
    autozine.org

I dont think that all editing should be allowed. That would give too much diversity. But atleast allow for lighting adjustments and moderate PS edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    But atleast allow for lighting adjustments and moderate PS edits.
    but why? a good photographer should be able to take a good photo, not manipulate it into one.

true you can make it better through editing but it is not a necessity make it good

I vote for no editing to make it a level a playing field as possible and to stop stop all the bitching about the levels of editing that are allowed
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Whatever happened to just taking a photo and relying on your knowledge of your own camera and technical skill to get a good shot? Or is it so that those who can't use their equipment properly stand a chance of winning?
    Those skills are apparently not present amongst some..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    What the hell has that got to do with anything?

Firstly, this is a photo competition FOR FUN. It is not a professional competition, there is no prize money on offer, therefore any comparison to a professional industry is totally irrelevant.

Secondly, where on earth do you get the idea that if people are forbidden from using editing that they will end up with the same result? That's just daft. These photo competitions have run for several years with major editing banned, and the diversity in subject, style and imagination has been remarkable. I think the way the competitions have existed thus far has been an absoulte credit to the forum, I really see no reason why a successful formula should be changed.
    I agree with you, the rules have been fine until now.
    But people start to exploit/bend the rules and cheat with and without comprehend. The successful formula isn't successful any more.

Then it is time to choose: Two comps, 1 where editing is allowed and 1 where it's not allowed? Or a comp with no editing allowed? Last option is a comp with full editing allowed.

I suggest that the ones that want to make a competition with editing allowed go to Chop forums, and those who want to continue with the photography competitions stay in here.

As said a million times before editing is a integral part of photography now and also back in the film days. It ain't as easy as it is now, but using various techniques I could do the same back then ! Hell, I would almost definately do it after my dad would've taught me some of the techniques ! We still got a dark room on the attic.

Perhaps editing things in or out of the picture goes a bit too far, but some should be allowed. I also see no reason to ban HDR photography as it still requires good photography skills !

Seems like a fairly moot poll to me.

To me, at least, it seems fairly obvious that people get away with heavily editing photos most weeks.

I don't think editing should be allowed, but this is a very poor argument for that opinion. Competition is competition. There are and should be advantages and disadvantages based on skill. The fact that one person has more skill than the other does not make it unfair. That's why people train and practice to get better. If everyone was expected to have the same skills and same knowledge in life, there would never be advancements in any field.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information