View Poll Results: To what extent should we allow editing in the photo comps, according to you ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any editing should be allowed

3 6.98%
  • Only slight editing should be allowed, such as contrast/saturation adjusts

20 46.51%
  • Editing shouldn't be allowed in any way

20 46.51%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Editing in the Photo Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    As said a million times before editing is a integral part of photography now and also back in the film days. It ain't as easy as it is now, but using various techniques I could do the same back then ! Hell, I would almost definately do it after my dad would've taught me some of the techniques ! We still got a dark room on the attic.

Perhaps editing things in or out of the picture goes a bit too far, but some should be allowed. I also see no reason to ban HDR photography as it still requires good photography skills !
    Maybe you should start scanning your entries in then...

Based on whatever is agreed upon in the poll, what if each entrant.. assuming they used photoshop to resize/edit, sends me or someone else the .psd file so the level of editing can be checked?

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    In my opinion, the current rules should not be changed. People who know various editing methods would have an advantage over people who do not know about editing methods. Many people cannot use photoshop properly (for editing photographs).
    Many people can't use a camera properly either, so those that do know have an advantage

People who have an SLR would have an advantage over point and shoot owners, so perhaps it should be a P&S camera contest only.

Post processing photos on the computer is like printing in the darkroom and is all part of the process of making good photos.

From what I've seen, the same couple of people win every time anyway, so I fail to see what some people are afraid of

Allowing post processing and retouching is only going to improve the quality of work, and give others incentive to try harder and perhaps learn something instead of continuing on submitting mediocre photography

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    but why? a good photographer should be able to take a good photo, not manipulate it into one.

Well, I guess Ansel Adams really wasn't a good photographer then because most of his photographs are the result of him spending hours manipulating the image in the darkroom.

A good photographer would never submit a photo (especially from a digital camera) without some sort of post work done to it.

And BTW folks the proper terminology is:

"Editing" is the process of selecting the keeper photos from your shoot and then narrowing it down to your final selection

"Post Processing" is when you adjust levels, curves, color, saturation, sharpness, dodge/burn, etc.

"Retouching" is when you manipulate the image, remove unwanted stuff, or add/ move around things etc.
    www.morgansegal.com

Pretty well said man ^^^^

Since most people have voiced there opinion's i shall throw mine in too

i really don't care if there was a photo "post processing" ban , i would just use the originals simple.. as

but at the moment since there is no (tight) rule i do use the saturation and sharpness settings , but thats all

keeping it simple

since there has been such ongoing arguments i think any sort of editing should just be banned

end all this and get on with the excellent content in the competitions which is why i come and enter..
    Last edited by paul; 05-15-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Why are people so intent on making these photo competitions only allow the bare photo from the camera. Its absolute ludicracy. In the industry. I.E real photographers. A photo is taken as well as the camera will physically perform. You can capture the subject in all sorts of magical ways using the camera and that is the main art of photography, yes. But these photos are always polished off before they are even tried out for using in the industry. This doesnt always mean making an ugly woman look like cinderella. Its just a slight brightness adjustment. Or colour filtering. You people who are insisting that we merely upload the photo from our cameras and enter it are not only living in the past but also denying this from being a modern competition. You may aswell ask us all to send in polaroids of our shots and vote on them.

Like I've said in the past, I've ran and taken part in these competitions long enough without any editing. But seriously, get real. We have always known if a certain photo has had slight contrast adjustment. But a photo is what it is from the moment its taken. We obviously arent going to manipulate the photo beyond recognition with photoshop. Its part of the digital revolution. This is a digital camera competition. A huge part of the digital photography industry is photoshop. And you cannot deny that. Otherwise, start a film-photo competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Pho View Post

.... continuing on submitting mediocre photography
    in your opinion.

I find it hard to fathom how some people can make sweeping statements like this when we are talking about a subjective medium.

Well, I guess Ansel Adams really wasn't a good photographer then because most of his photographs are the result of him spending hours manipulating the image in the darkroom.
    that is not what I said.

I said a good photo need not be edited, not that a good photo can be created through editing

A good photographer would never submit a photo (especially from a digital camera) without some sort of post work done to it.
    submitted for what?

a competition on a car-biased website between (mostly) amateur people just having a bit of fun??

or something else?

And BTW folks the proper terminology is:

"Editing" is the process of selecting the keeper photos from your shoot and then narrowing it down to your final selection
    that is not the definition of editing to which we are referring and you know it
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Rules are rules. Follow them or UCP's uphold of quality will be challenged.

Set up another Advance Comp with relevant rules and stick with them.

My point of view, we should recognized editing as an evolution of photography and do the relevant. Just as analog shooters used to brag about digiboy's lack of judgement and so called 'skills'

There are just some skills which would eventually become obsolete. Just as word carving was when printing arrives,and type writers vs computers. A very simple taken for granted action of 'deleteting an alphabet' on PC now used to need alot of concentration from type writer clerks to avoid.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

I think only cropping should be alowed. Anything else is changing what you originally took.

I also have a question for Wouter: How often do you use photoshop on the photos that you take/are on this site?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I also have a question for Wouter: How often do you use photoshop on the photos that you take/are on this site?
    I use photoshop on every single shot I post. I have camera processing on a very low level, so all shots need at least some sharpening.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thanks for the information.

I'm assuming having the camera do less work (processing) yields a better photograph?

I think only cropping should be alowed. Anything else is changing what you originally took.
    Cropping is changing what you originally took.
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    Cropping is changing what you originally took.
    Your right! No cropping then.

Although you're not adding anything to the original picture, only cutting parts out.

Your call, no cropping either I guess.

Although you're not adding anything to the original picture, only cutting parts out.
    You're changing the composition of the original picture
    My other signature has a V12

But you aren't adding anything to it. Its just like resizing. 'No cropping' would be a stupid rule.

Thread Information