Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    I was posting some of the text in the article.
    Here are some pages from the article...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

What do you mean "if at all" effective? A good ram air system is definitely effective.
    Also, an old Super Stock trick (late '50s/early '60s) was to adjust the rear of the hood to a position where it was a few inches higher in back. This was to allow the hot air from under the hood to be drawn out.
    Well my point is that good ram air systems are very rare and the majority of them in existence don't work at all and some give a very slight advantage at high speed.

Also the raised hood thing isn't a super stock trick. many racing cars used that way before the 50s/60s.

Also none of the scoops in that article would work at all as ram air systems. They however look to be good as cold air systems.
    Last edited by hightower99; 06-01-2007 at 02:40 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Well my point is that good ram air systems are very rare and the majority of them in existence don't work at all and some give a very slight advantage at high speed.
    From what are you basing your information from? Have you owned cars with ram air systems which you can relate to?

Also the raised hood thing isn't a super stock trick. many racing cars used that way before the 50s/60s.
    Which racing cars were those?

Also none of the scoops in that article would work at all as ram air systems. They however look to be good as cold air systems.
    Many (most, actually) of them had ducting from the scoops to the air cleaner system. Check the photos again. And they were worth about one-tenth in the 1/4 mile.

From what are you basing your information from? Have you owned cars with ram air systems which you can relate to?
    I haven't owned any cars which had ram-air systems. Quite simply based on many magazine articles, books ect. that talk about ram-air systems and the fact that it is relatively pointless on a street car. Also about many advertised ram-air systems not being any good well, that takes alittle knowledge about how a ram-air system is supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Which racing cars were those?
    several different cars raced back then tried that trick (i.e raised sections on the hood to vent heat).

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Many (most, actually) of them had ducting from the scoops to the air cleaner system. Check the photos again. And they were worth about one-tenth in the 1/4 mile.
    If they helped at all it was because they allowed the engine to breath cooler air. any ram-air effect would be negligible because of the poor duct design and the fact that they had large round filters underneth.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

I haven't owned any cars which had ram-air systems. Quite simply based on many magazine articles, books ect. that talk about ram-air systems and the fact that it is relatively pointless on a street car. Also about many advertised ram-air systems not being any good well, that takes alittle knowledge about how a ram-air system is supposed to work.
    Check again. If you read tech articles, like how to increase hp and/or cut your 1/4 mile time, ram-air systems are mentioned (even on the street). They work best, of course, the faster you are going and many street cars are going 80+ mph (illegally).

several different cars raced back then tried that trick (i.e raised sections on the hood to vent heat).
    Cars such as...? Any more info?

If they helped at all it was because they allowed the engine to breath cooler air. any ram-air effect would be negligible because of the poor duct design and the fact that they had large round filters underneth
    Of course, that's what I was saying in the first place. The outside air is cooler than underhood air, therefore, more power is made. And it doesn't matter if they had large round filters because the air was still funneled into them.

Check again. If you read tech articles, like how to increase hp and/or cut your 1/4 mile time, ram-air systems are mentioned (even on the street). They work best, of course, the faster you are going and many street cars are going 80+ mph (illegally).
    the majority of the tech magazines I read actually say that ram-air is not the way to go at all as any increase in performance is more easily obtained in another way.

the majority of the tech magazines I read actually say that ram-air is not the way to go at all as any increase in performance is more easily obtained in another way.
    Ram-air is one way to increase performance. What tech magazines are you reading?
    Anyway, just accept it... a car running with a hood scoop which has ram-air will typically have a slightly faster e.t. for the 1/4 mile at a slightly higher mph.
    In other words, a car will run slightly faster with a ram-air than one without, all other things being equal.

Ram-air is one way to increase performance. What tech magazines are you reading?
    Anyway, just accept it... a car running with a hood scoop which has ram-air will typically have a slightly faster e.t. for the 1/4 mile at a slightly higher mph.
    In other words, a car will run slightly faster with a ram-air than one without, all other things being equal.
    Actually no not unless you have a really well designed ram-air system and you will only get alittle extra performance when you are already going very fast.

I read many car mags (EVO, Car, Top Gear, SportsCompactCar, Road&Track, VMAX, Car and Driver, ect. ect.) I also have many technical books about fluid dynamics, and of course the "bible" of the car industry Bosch automotive handbook.

Actually no not unless you have a really well designed ram-air system and you will only get alittle extra performance when you are already going very fast.

I read many car mags (EVO, Car, Top Gear, SportsCompactCar, Road&Track, VMAX, Car and Driver, ect. ect.) I also have many technical books about fluid dynamics, and of course the "bible" of the car industry Bosch automotive handbook.
    I'm glad you agree... I've been saying all along that the ram-air systems provided a little extra performance. I never said they gave a lot of extra performance.
    Quite a few were well designed and were effective.
    For instance:
    (The Dodge R/T and Super Bee and Plymouth GTX and Road Runner)
    "Dodge's dual scoops proved more effective than Plymouth's twin screened slots, but all the engines involved benefited from breathing cooler outside air."

(The Dodge Super Bee Six Pack and Plymouth Road Runner Six-Barrel)
    "Beneath their 'glass [fiberglass] bonnet, all these cars ducted air directly to their carbs."

(The Olds 4-4-2 455 engine)
    "The Olds 4-4-2 plumbed cold air to its Quadrajet [carb] through a vacuum-controlled trap."

(The Camaro Z-28 and Chevelle SS)
    "Many production Camaros and Chevelles were fitted with a cowl induction setup that picked up air from the high-pressure area at the base of the windshield. The cooler charge was ducted directly into the carb through a sealed hood to air cleaner plenum. Exposed inlet flapper valve at the rear of the Chevelle hood was vacuum actuated."

Text from Petersen's Musclecar Classics, 1984.

More from the text:
    "After taking long, detailed courses in power-making from their factory-fielded stock car, champ car, drag and road racers, nearly all of Motown's major automakers adapted some form of fresh air intake systems to their popular stock musclecars. From Bonneville lakesters to bootlegger coupes, nearly everyone agreed they ran better with scoops."

How does warm air increase mileage?
    Going back to this subject, here is some information as to why warm air increases fuel mileage...

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/warmair/

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/wai-test.htm

Thread Information