Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VW Golf GT Sport

Well they're all entitled to their opinion just like me

I sat in a 1 series when we were looking in showrooms. And it was sort of like.. 'ok its a bmw but why is it so expensive?'. The top of the range models do have the essence of the 5 series inside. But then again at that point you're really getting out of 'family hatchback' price range. Thats my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    I personally find the astra interior very cheap. Theres silver painted plastic everywhere with jagged edges. And both the driving position and passenger position is awful.
    IMO the fit and finish and the quality of materials in the Astra's interior is at least equal to the Golf. Vauxhall's latest designs (including the entire design of the latest Vectra) all came from an ex-Audi designer and it's as though the new Vauxhalls and VWs come out of the same factory in terms of how the materials are used and things like panel gaps etc. The Astra has a very Germanic air to it to be honest, so how you can say it feels "cheap" beats me. My car certainly has no "jagged edges" or "silver-painted plastic" and the driving position is so adjustable anyone can get comfortable. I honestly don't know whether you've been tricked into sitting in a Hyundai with a Vauxhall badge stuck over the steering wheel but that's just not my car.

The 1-series is bland. The golf could be considered bland if you're looking at the lower models (such as the S) but when you look at the higher models, atleast the one that we have. It all feels so well built and the cabin is lit up by a beam of red light from the roof. It all feels very.. 'enjoy that engine. but relax too'.
    Yes, it's easy for a manufacturer to "build in" premium features and nicer looking interiors (better dash trim inserts, a climate control unit rather than AC, changeable trim panels for cars with more options etc.) higher up the model range but where VW isn't delivering (so much) is in the looks and features of the "bread and butter" models. - The interior of the Golf S is all one colour FFS! And it still costs around £15k! Even though your car is at the top of the range, it still comes as standard without audio controls on the steering wheel and the centre console trim is just the same grey plastic that's used in the footwells. Mine however, despite being a "base model" utilises at least four distinctly different materials (that complement each other nicely) on the dash alone and as a result looks much more classy interesting than it would in the equivalent Golf.

The Astra Club I'm driving for the moment isn't a bad car at all. Especially compared to what VW would try and sell you for the same price. You could easily buy an Astra Design for the same price as a Golf Match and the Astra just offers so much more for the money (including part leather seats, front fog lamps, indirect night lighting, rain sensitive wipers, automatic headlights and a sports chassis with switchable steering and throttle response on Sport Hatches) with no detrimental effect to the quality. If it were a 1.6 petrol or 1.9-diesel (equivalent engines to the ones the Golf Match is available with), it'd even have a more powerful and efficient engine (Vauxhall's 1.6VVT Petrol rivals VW's 1.6FSi Petrol whilst the 1.9CDTi (120ps) is a rival for the Golf's 1.9TDi). The Golf S looks boring compared to my Astra Club inside and out and VW have been ridiculously stingy with standard specification when the base 1.6 costs £14,500. I have alloys, a 7-speaker CD/Mp3 player with steering wheel mounted controls, welcome lighting and a nicer interior with extra features for the same price. Not to mention better handling than the standard Golf.

To compare:

VW Golf MkIV Hatchback brochure (UK):
    http://www.vw.co.uk/assets/pdf/golf_...k_brochure.pdf

Vauxhall Astra brochure (UK):
    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/static/...8/astraEd1.pdf

And just incase your judgement (or is it bias?) isn't already under question and scrutiny I find the 1-Series to comprehensively wipe the floor with both the Golf and Astra in terms of the interior design, ergonomics, materials etc. It certainly isn't bland - aside from the looks (I would have called them controversial (exterior) rather than bland) it comes in more colours, materials and variations with many more individual options (interior) than practically anything else in it's class. Sure, a base model is even more overpriced and under-equipped than the Golf (it does have a RWD chassis though - worth it's weight in gold IMO) but "bland" is probably the last word I'd use to describe it.

The C4 definitely beats it for excitement and looks yes but it doesnt beat it on anything else.
    Oh, come on!!!

The C4's equipment levels, innovation, design, pricing and ergonomics are just about the best in the sector and the quality from what I've seen so far seems at least equal to the usual crowd - it definitely beats the Focus, C'eed, Megane etc.

OK, some of the plastics lower down the dash (around the areas of the radio and climate control units) may look of a slightly lower quality than the Astra and Golf but under scrutiny they stand-up well. The actual material they've covered the top of the dash with feels soft to the touch and has a really nice (very French) texture to it but feels as though it's "there to stay".

Its easy for some to look at the golfs price tag and less-extravagant looks and pick at it but the golf V is without a doubt the best golf yet. Its most certainly better value and in my opinion better all round than its sister, the A3.
    No-one's doubting the quality of the Golf, and yes, it is better value than the A3 (but that's just a Golf in a posh suit anyway) but VW could afford to equip it better as standard and liven-up the car a little with subtle enhancements - maybe some chrome on the front grille or some dark-style headlights and a set of suitable alloys (S) (exterior) and some different materials for the trim inserts and centre console on the models lower down the range. The upholstery is also depressingly dull and the colour choices for the exterior paint are simply terrible (out of those colours I'd pick Tornado red by default) - where's the excitement?

It all depends if you're the type of person to buy a golf or not at the end of the day. But you need to test drive it first. Then you'd see that it beats the cars in its class on much more than residual values.
    Have done, and to be honest it didn't feel any better than the Astra / Focus in the handling department, the C4 and Astra in the comfort department or the Astra, Auris and possibly the C4 in the way it was ultimately put together. To be honest, it looks and handles (I drove a Match 1.6) like it's slightly overweight. It made me feel middle aged, middle minded and like I was "counting the pennies" by only looking at a model without all the niceties that the £20k models afford. All in all, with the Golf I'm left completely cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Brutally honest Cotterik! Cliveys retribution will be swift!
    What was it you were saying?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I'm not fussed on the dsg gear lever knob on the GT Sport. I was wondering if it interchangable with the GTI one. A number of dealers I've contacted have given me different answers.

Thread Information