Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW Golf GT Sport

naah, the performance is good, it'll be very reliable, but Jediali is right, it's not the quietest engine around. But just think, you'll actually be getting more power than VW state the car has.

Yeah, Clive, it'll take a long time for the Golf to depreciate to an acceptable level. We're going to be keeping the Audi for an extra year so we can get our Golf, probably the one under the GTSport, maybe a GTSport, depends.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thanks guys. the one i bought is a TSI, so hopefully the engine's a bit quieter although would have liked a bit more grunt with the TDI.

I'm writing this from sunny Melbourne in downunder Australia - it seems VW here only offers one model of TSI and one model of TSI d. But I've read that in Europe they have both a 140ps and 170ps model for each. Are there any visual indications that my TSI will be a 140ps or 170ps? a bit confused... thanks

My guess would be the latter 170ps.

VW of Australia - 1.4TSI PDF Brochure

Motion & Emotion

You have the choice of the 140ps or 170ps with the 2.0 TDi and FSi versions. If you have the 1.4 then it will be lower. The one we have ordered is the 2.0 TDi 170ps.

In Europe, yes, but they only appear to get the more powerful units down-under

Golf GTSport comes in the 2.0TDI & 1.4TSI forms
    In Europe and the UK each get either 140 or 170ps

Motion & Emotion

Ah ok. the 2.0TDi is a wonderful engine. It may not be exactly 'quiet' but its very smooth and has alot of power in it. Great to drive

Thanks again guys, that was really informative. I'm really looking forward to it now having seen the positive feedback. I ordered a black one and it seems very hard to get. There was a silver one there ready on the day I ordered it but chose to wait. Hope it's not still in South Africa being assembled... I can't take the sleepless nights anymore!!

I never bought a brand spanking new car before - do floor mats usually come with it? And is breaking-in of the engine really necessary in this day and age??

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    For me i have heard the golf has done more to approach driving dynamics of the focus.
    Does that include steering that's inert for the first few degrees of travel, a gearshift that feels like it's from some kind of van/truck or a ride that's too hard under all circumstances?

Seriously, the only good thing about the new Focus's handling is the roadholding, which the Astra matches and manages to combine with a smoother ride and better steering. I've no experience of the Golf though, so I was just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    The problem is also that vauxhalls are driven by the type of people i despise in aberdeen. I know it sounds silly but it scares me to be mistaken for them....
    And what sort of person is that? I've never heard anyone around here talking about a stereotypical Vauxhall driver (apart from calling base model Astras / Vectras "repmobiles"*). Much more BMW and to a lesser extent the rest of the German brands. No offence.

*aren't 3-series, A4s, C-class's etc. 'repmobiles' by the same token that Mondeos, Passats or Vectras are - just for people on a higher pay-grade?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Does that include steering that's inert for the first few degrees of travel, a gearshift that feels like it's from some kind of van/truck or a ride that's too hard under all circumstances?

Seriously, the only good thing about the new Focus's handling is the road holding, which the Astra matches and manages to combine with a smoother ride and better steering. I've no experience of the Golf though, so I was just asking.

And what sort of person is that? I've never heard anyone around here talking about a stereotypical Vauxhall driver (apart from calling base model Astra’s / Vectra's "repmobiles"*). Much more BMW and to a lesser extent the rest of the German brands. No offence.

*aren't 3-series, A4s, C-class's etc. 'repmobiles' by the same token that Mondeo’s, Passat’s or Vectra’s are - just for people on a higher pay-grade?
    Good points all well made

I confess that I am one person that fails to link the side of me that scrutinises technically/hypothetically to the side that appreciates the little touches that make car ownership special on a one to one basis.

I read autocar, what car and other mags regularly and maybe i shouldn’t believe them so readily. I’m sure your Astra is great relatively, and without driving the focus, golf and Astra in turn I could never comment on all the small details of how they drive. Therefore I will trust your opinion and maybe others who have driven all fairly can add to the discussion. I can appreciate that the Astra strikes a great combination of comfort and handling. I understand the focus rides a little hard, as for the Golf if I go by word of mouth I hear that most of its pretty good, but there are prices to pay.

My A4 has a little of the "airport taxi" image in Aberdeen however compared to the relative competition, considering ownership benefits, feel good factor, I wouldn't deem it a bad choice. I admit I am way too conscious of car images and for that I probably oversee many credible automobiles. So each to their own if car ownership is a subjective thing.

I know that once i'm out on the A roads my car starts to shine, the road holding, compliance, comfort and ease of covering distance is a pleasure. Its not too showy but would look fine outside a nice hotel; it has 4wd for confidence and all weather driving. It feels special when you step into it and makes the driver feel special. I don’t mention my new car to people but when people step in they just smile. I can’t put my finger on it.

The problem with rep cars is you sometimes cannot tell at first sight whether it’s a rep car, however when publications and TV shows (topgear for example) unfortunately label cars it takes effect regardless of accuracy. And at that point we must decide to ignore that often false image or surcome to it and play the fickle image game. Beside its not like the A4 is an automatic choice, it has plenty flaws and is often seen as an underdog technically amongst others in its class.
    autozine.org

Well my dad picked His metallic black GT-Sport up from the garage yesterday. I'm pretty amazed at how the extra 35hp makes such a difference. Where our old gt-tdi was pretty powerful, the gt-sport just keeps getting faster and faster. It just picks up so much speed. Its so easy to make the mistake of treating it like a standard golf.

The trim has been improved too since the 3 year old model. As usual the golf has undoubtedly the best build quality in its class. Its such a great car to be in. The sport seats are very impressive too. I've been in the new focus, new mondeo, astra, A3, fiat bravo, bmw 1 series, 308. And what you get with the golf makes you wonder how on earth the rest of the cars can compete.

The gt-sport has a great exterior trim too. Double barrel exhaust. GTi style grill. Tinted windows. 17" alloys. Fantastic car. I've seen alot on the road too. Its quite popular.

I'm going to persuade my dad to let me do a photo shoot with it next week so I'll upload photos then

Lower it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

yessir!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    As usual the golf has undoubtedly the best build quality in its class. Its such a great car to be in. The sport seats are very impressive too. I've been in the new focus, new mondeo, astra, A3, fiat bravo, bmw 1 series, 308. And what you get with the golf makes you wonder how on earth the rest of the cars can compete.
    I don't agree with that at all. I've been in the 1-Series, 307, A-Class, A3, Astra, C4, Civic, Focus, Golf, Leon and Megane as well as others and in terms of build quality it'd be impossible to say which one was best, let alone to pick a "clear winner".

As far as interior design goes, the Golf is very bland. My Astra Club has a far more exciting and appealing dash than the equivalent Golf S and 1-Series, C4 and Civic easily beat it for excitement and looks. In fact, if you compare all the cars from that class, the only thing the Golf definitely wins on is it's residual values. Others can easily match the reliability, driving experience and flair without the OTT prices.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I don't agree with that at all. I've been in the 1-Series, 307, A-Class, A3, Astra, C4, Civic, Focus, Golf, Leon and Megane as well as others and in terms of build quality it'd be impossible to say which one was best, let alone to pick a "clear winner".

As far as interior design goes, the Golf is very bland. My Astra Club has a far more exciting and appealing dash than the equivalent Golf S and 1-Series, C4 and Civic easily beat it for excitement and looks. In fact, if you compare all the cars from that class, the only thing the Golf definitely wins on is it's residual values. Others can easily match the reliability, driving experience and flair without the OTT prices.
    Well its all about personal taste i guess. I personally find the astra interior very cheap. Theres silver painted plastic everywhere with jagged edges. And both the driving position and passenger position is awful. The 1-series is bland. The golf could be considered bland if you're looking at the lower models (such as the S) but when you look at the higher models, atleast the one that we have. It all feels so well built and the cabin is lit up by a beam of red light from the roof. It all feels very.. 'enjoy that engine. but relax too'.

The C4 definitely beats it for excitement and looks yes but it doesnt beat it on anything else. If you're talking about driving experience then the sport model that we have is a great blend of performance and comfort. Ive not driven the astra or 1 series equivalents but its all a great blend in the golf. It just feels like you get what you pay for. Thats what makes the golf such a good seller. And we've never had 1 issue with either of our golfs. Theyve been the most reliable cars we've had.

Its easy for some to look at the golfs price tag and less-extravagant looks and pick at it but the golf V is without a doubt the best golf yet. Its most certainly better value and in my opinion better all round than its sister, the A3.

It all depends if you're the type of person to buy a golf or not at the end of the day. But you need to test drive it first. Then you'd see that it beats the cars in its class on much more than residual values.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 11-21-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    Well its all about personal taste i guess. I personally find the astra interior very cheap. Theres silver painted plastic everywhere with jagged edges. And both the driving position and passenger position is awful. The 1-series is bland.
    Brutally honest Cotterik! Cliveys retribution will be swift! As for the 1series...i know a prolific UCPer whos getting one and I think you will be rather surprised
    autozine.org

Thread Information