Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 11yr old boy killed 476kg wild hog

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so when did that process take place?
    most likely when the europeans first started colonising.
    it's the same here, domesticated species only take 2-3 generations to revert back to their wild state, cats, dogs, horses, deer, camels, water buffalo, goats, rabbits, foxes have all gone feral here, hooved animals causing damage to an ecosystem that developed with the absence of hooved animals and feral cats and dogs causing the extinction of several animal species...
    up near gladstone the park rangers culled 350 feral pigs within a week. they have no natural predators
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 05-30-2007 at 01:47 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    most likely when the europeans first started colonising.
    it's the same here, domesticated species only take 2-3 generations to revert back to their wild state, cats, dogs, horses, deer, camels, water buffalo, goats, rabbits, foxes have all gone feral here, hooved animals causing damage to an ecosystem that developed with the absence of hooved animals and feral cats and dogs causing the extinction of several animal species...
    up near gladstone the park rangers culled 350 feral pigs within a week. they have no natural predators
    so the first damage was done by men, by domesticating wild animals....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

so the first damage was done by men, by domesticating wild animals....
    more accurately it was done by men spreading animals (like convicts!! jk ) across barriers they could normally never cross.... europeans mostly
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 05-30-2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

more accurately it was done by men spreading animals across barriers they could normally never cross.... europeans mostly
    well, we spread Europeans to Australia, Brits mostly....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

well, we spread Europeans to Australia, Brits mostly....
    exactly i suspect there's little need to hunt wild boar in europe, even with the depleted population of natural predators; i fear urban sprawl has been a far more effective tool unfortunately
    and the badger culling in the UK as an efort to prevent the spread of bovine turberculosis is laughable

exactly i suspect there's little need to hunt wild boar in europe, even with the depleted population of natural predators; i fear urban sprawl has been a far more effective tool unfortunately
    and the badger culling in the UK as an efort to prevent the spread of bovine turberculosis is laughable
    In Holland wild boar are still running around in limited areas (where I grew up). They are also kept in shape for the Royal Family to have a hunting target

In Holland wild boar are still running around in limited areas (where I grew up).
    nice to see they're still around i've seen them in pictures and they look different to the feral variety i thought!
    They are also kept in shape for the Royal Family to have a hunting target
    i'm assuming in hunting reserves? i don't really see the appeal in that, seems like..cheating i guess. Although to be fair, i'll assume it's safer and more ecologically sound for the royal family to hunt within their reserves than in state forests on the limited remaining boar population, with the added risk to the general public (could be wrong on that last point? i don't know how state forests are managed in the netherlands)....

nice to see they're still around i've seen them in pictures and they look different to the feral variety i thought!

i'm assuming in hunting reserves? i don't really see the appeal in that, seems like..cheating i guess. Although to be fair, i'll assume it's safer and more ecologically sound for the royal family to hunt within their reserves than in state forests on the limited remaining boar population, with the added risk to the general public (could be wrong on that last point? i don't know how state forests are managed in the netherlands)....
    they hunt in state forests with restricted access...not everybody appreciates these royal hunting parties though...it is sort of growing these animals solely for the pleasure kill.

they hunt in state forests with restricted access...not everybody appreciates these royal hunting parties though...it is sort of growing these animals solely for the pleasure kill.
    restricted access because no-one can get to them or because no-one else is allowed in? i wouldn't appreciate that very much either
    growing them to be killed is like a farm i guess... but still doesn't sit right with me and i hunt.... i guess the fact that they're native animals there is off putting. I think it's also a case of the rich doing as they please that doesn't help?
    read this article about a man protesting the royal family in the UK hunting foxes...his protest is a bit odd to say the least.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

restricted access because no-one can get to them or because no-one else is allowed in? i wouldn't appreciate that very much either
    growing them to be killed is like a farm i guess... but still doesn't sit right with me and i hunt.... i guess the fact that they're native animals there is off putting. I think it's also a case of the rich doing as they please that doesn't help?
    read this article about a man protesting the royal family in the UK hunting foxes...his protest is a bit odd to say the least.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html
    Impressive protest...
    in the sixties our royals had a big issue when it turned out that they bred pheasants for the hunt (with "friends") and these got so fat that they became the equivalent of the sitting duck.
    And indeed the "royal forests" are non accessible for mere mortals, although they form an integral part of "state forests".

Impressive protest...
    in the sixties our royals had a big issue when it turned out that they bred pheasants for the hunt (with "friends") and these got so fat that they became the equivalent of the sitting duck.
    lol... i would like to bet that they do not stalk but use their underlings as 'beaters' to drive the prey to them?
    And indeed the "royal forests" are non accessible for mere mortals, although they form an integral part of "state forests".
    kind of defy's the whole purpose of state forests...

Thread Information