Thread: Decisions, Decisions...

Decisions, Decisions...

Right all, need your advice.

My friend's dad works for a company called Spirit Aerosystems, and he called me up tonight saying there was a job available that I may be interested in. He is quite high up (He is the boss of the Prestwick department for wing construction of the A380...)

It is a "Supply Chain Apprentice" ... which means I would be trained up, and if the company wanted a part, I would have to go and get the best price of the part, and secure delivery.

This would mean, i would have to drop school completely. Now, I am having a hard time at school (sitting 5 Highers)... so it seems very tempting.

I am very interested in the job, My mum says she will support me through it all, no matter what. But giving up school with just Standard Grades (similar to GCSE's in England) seems a bit scary... what were to happen if i had to leave the job?

I need your opinions!

Thanks all for your time,
    Adam

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    You can go back to school later if you have to. School is a continuing process these days. On the other hand, if you get into a job you like, the real work experience is invaluable, and if you do good, you can go quite far.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I would leave school, but I'm not sure if the process in schooling is the same over there. Like DigitalCraft kind of said, you can pretty much always go back to school.. but this job opportunity only comes up once.

If you feel that you have a future in this job, go for it. It's a risk, and at worst if you change your mind later on you'll have lost some time, but gained some experience. I'm about to finish College and I want to go to Uni, and if this was me I'd probably still go to Uni, but my situation is different.

Edit: And with the exeption of some dead-end retail jobs, if you're the best at what you do, you'll go far.
    My other signature has a V12

Part of any "apprenticeship" should include on-going training and awards.
    Worth looking in to. You may find they're willing to fund/give time for you to do Highers and vocational modules.

I'd be much more concerned about the future of A380 work in the UK with the current problems the company is having.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Go for it, this is a huge opportunity, especially considering you won't have to worry too much about job security

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post

My friend's dad works for a company called Spirit Aerosystems, and he called me up tonight saying there was a job available that I may be interested in. He is quite high up (He is the boss of the Prestwick department for wing construction of the A380...)

It is a "Supply Chain Apprentice" ... which means I would be trained up, and if the company wanted a part, I would have to go and get the best price of the part, and secure delivery.

This would mean, i would have to drop school completely. Now, I am having a hard time at school (sitting 5 Highers)... so it seems very tempting.

I am very interested in the job, My mum says she will support me through it all, no matter what. But giving up school with just Standard Grades (similar to GCSE's in England) seems a bit scary... what were to happen if i had to leave the job?

I need your opinions!

Adam

Go for this job, and do all your best. There will come the day, when your boss (friend's dad or whatever) finds that perhaps they could invest in you, turn you into the world's greatest supply chain apprentice ( 0_o' ). Then they started to scour for courses that will improve your understanding of this... enrolled you and then for the 5 working days, 2 of them you're working half day and attending courses for self improvement in this industry.

What do ya know.... THAT, MY FRIEND IS STUDYING/SCHOOL ! Besides, you need not take up pointless subjects.

Go ahead ! Try it out is always better than regretting for you wouldn't know what lies ahead. GO GO GO !
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Thanks guys.

Going to get full details tomorrow and then I'll see what happens from there...

Real life story...

On my first class of Industrial Engineering 101 the teacher said something along the lines of: "If you are looking for money you should drop this and start a business right now". Bill Gates, anyone?

Very true it turns out, after all they will have 5 years head start on you, and you do it precisely when you can live cheaply. At that age all you need is some clothes and beer money!

The key words here are "start a business". Without education i think, your career chances on corporate ladder are limited. It takes a strong man, but night classes are an option...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post

I need your opinions!

Adam
    Personally, if I was struggling at school and was offered a Supply Chain Apprenticeship in the aerospace industry, I would definitely go for it. Think about it - what have you got to lose? If somehow the job is terrible, you can go back to school and you end up losing one year - which is exactly what I did in real life

Or you can stay at school, get average grades and hope that you end up somewhere decent. And if you find yourself in a ditch after you finish school, you will wish you took the opportunity when it presented itself.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thread Information