Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Size

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Actually.....Yes.

but it would only be a few MP/H / KP/H either way.
    A few makes a difference when speed traps are invovled.

Is there a way to get your speedo corrected, or does it realise that it has bigger wheels automatically?

Is there a way to get your speedo corrected, or does it realise that it has bigger wheels automatically? [/QUOTE]

Generally when you expand the size of the rim you add lower profile tires so that the total wheel is of the same diameter, and in that case you don't need to recalibrate the speedo, etc. If add wheels and tires that are in total diameter larger than the stock wheels then the car will need to be recalibrated.

Now let me tell you the truth about large wheels: any rim larger than 18" or 19" will make a car perform worse. It will make the car ride worse, accelerate slower, handle worse and give the car worse gas mileage. Any wheel large than 19" is really just a cry for attention. And in my opinion a pathetic one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Ironic that they are also the ones that gave us mobile phones, Macintosh and Mcdonald's right?
    Your welcome, If you would like the rest of our gangsta rims you can have them

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Generally when you expand the size of the rim you add lower profile tires so that the total wheel is of the same diameter, and in that case you don't need to recalibrate the speedo, etc. If add wheels and tires that are in total diameter larger than the stock wheels then the car will need to be recalibrated.

Now let me tell you the truth about large wheels: any rim larger than 18" or 19" will make a car perform worse. It will make the car ride worse, accelerate slower, handle worse and give the car worse gas mileage. Any wheel large than 19" is really just a cry for attention. And in my opinion a pathetic one.
    Well, I'm looking at 16" wheels that use 40 profile tyres- at the moment, I have 14" with 65 or something stupid like that.

I totally agree with all you said- but don't forget how comfortable a Phantom is, and that uses 22" (?) wheels.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Ironic that they are also the ones that gave us mobile phones, Macintosh and Mcdonald's right?
    I'm not overly sure what point you were making there, but.. I dislike McDonalds, I don't use Macs, and I only very rarely use my mobile. And from there, refer to LotusLocust's post. And.. I was just posting an amusing picture, so if it seemed like I was trying to start anything, or make something of it.. I wasn't.

Mmmm... Bigger wheels won't necessarily change anything except perhaps handling. As long as the tire circumference stays the same (not taking distortion into account), speed and acceleration should stay the same I guess.

I once saw a graphic about different wheel-sizes which kind of pointed out that with lower-profile rubber (to go along with the larger wheels), the outside tire circumference actually becomes less...

I think this probably only counts for wheels smaller than 19" or so.

ADDED: Just realized that a lower profile tire will probably distort less under load than a higher profile tire would. So the total outside circumference of a higher profile tire would probably decrease more than a lower profile tire under load. The outside circumference can probably be regarded as more-or-less equal if properly inflated I guess.

Anyhoo, I think the only thing a bigger wheel (not speaking of 20"+ wheels) might improve is handling. That's just a guess though.

Did I mention I'm just guessing here?
    Last edited by Kooper; 06-06-2007 at 04:59 AM.

yea they re do ur computer for the speedometer

thank you people for the explination

u now this is the first thread where someone didnt criticize me.

and also im puttin 17" Enkei's on it lol
    No Me Gusta Tu Coche

Thread Information