Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MEPs bid to ban 102mph

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    My question is why do people keep saying speed doesn't kill? Has any of us seen a study on the effect speed has on the death rate? Any solid proof to back this up? Common sense dictates speed does kill, but common sense may be wrong.
    Speed never kills, mistakes do. Speed however, does magnify the effects.

Good ideas make bad legislation. In theory its a good idea, but really its not good, it just wouldn't work. Beside what would we do if all cars went 101mph? Everything would be on the same level there would no longer be a reason to love cars beyond an asthetic reason. Which car looks the best or has the most interior comfort? In some ways a Ferrari would be the same as a Ford Transit, why pay for a handbuilt car with nice luxury and technology if it only goes 101mph?

In short, it's just some stupid bozo trying to use the common supported "Save-our-world" analogy to cook up some twisted theory of his own to either garner support or to just make himself known.

Speed does not kill. Speeding does. Try going 50kph in a parking lot.... I'm sure some trolleys and babies would fly around.

Ever read clarkson's article? It's the age of the people who drive the,. 17 yr olds. These kids had no common sense, they're full of testosterone, they have just about to gain all benefits of being an adult. Clarkson reckons back in the olden days, there are alot of 17 yr olds that drowned themselves with ye old horses or unicorns or crash in trees or whatsoever.

It's the people, don't blame the cars.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

A lot of people have missed the point, a big engine with lots of power is needed to push heavy modern cars to excessive speeds. If excessive speed was not allowed the big powerful engine would not be required. Smaller, less powerful engines can then be used in place which presumably are less producing of CO2.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    A lot of people have missed the point, a big engine with lots of power is needed to push heavy modern cars to excessive speeds. If excessive speed was not allowed the big powerful engine would not be required. Smaller, less powerful engines can then be used in place which presumably are less producing of CO2.

1.6 liter 170hp engines can easily go beyond 200kmh. so? who needs big V8s?

Small Engine, Timid, Slow =/= Environmental Friendly

Last edited by Ingolstadt; 06-07-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    How does a petrol engine at 102mph = more CO2 than a car driving at 60 mph? It really depends on how well tuned/what engine you have. A diesel will definitely pollute more at the same speed, so I guess they'll need to ban diesels, so people will need to start saving up if petrol is the only choice.
    definitely? CO2 directly relates to fuel consumption.....start doing some checking....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post

2. Speeding.

As Henk pointed out, the opportunities to exceed the speed limit by such a margin on a public road are limited.

If most people exceed the speed limit by only 10, or 15% they are still breaking the law, and are still creating additional CO2 emissions - this law would do nothing to prevent that.
    aha, you are pleading to bring the proposed speed cap further down to 130 or 135 kph
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    aha, you are pleading to bring the proposed speed cap further down to 130 or 135 kph
    I've had a brilliant idea. Why not ban cars altogether...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I've had a brilliant idea. Why not ban cars altogether...
    hyperbolic suggestion...

My question is why do people keep saying speed doesn't kill? Has any of us seen a study on the effect speed has on the death rate? Any solid proof to back this up? Common sense dictates speed does kill, but common sense may be wrong.
    Doing 150mph on a straight, deserted stretch of autobahn isn't necessarily dangerous. Doing 60mph on a 30mph corner is dangerous. Speed in itself doesn't kill, inadequate speed does.
    Visca Catalunya!

Really what is the PURPOSE of traveling at over 160km/h?
    There isn't one (apart from people on track days, etc), but limiting cars to that speed would not solve the alleged problems, so why suggest it?

why do all Lib-Dems have bad ideas exactly? Because they are left-wingers?
    They are the third-wheel in a two party system.

They will never have enough support to challenge for government or opposition, so they just say silly things to get into the news headlines.

My question is why do people keep saying speed doesn't kill? Has any of us seen a study on the effect speed has on the death rate?
    Andy Green drove at 760mph, he is still very much alive.

Speed doesn't kill, drivers do.

That is why, despite more vigorous enforcement of speed limits in the UK over the last decade, the numbers of people killed or seriously injured has not fallen.

In the UK 69mph is a safe speed, but 31mph is dangerous.

The level of "safety" is ultimately not related to speed, but the road, situation and prevailing conditions.

Not exactly pleading, but it would be a more credible suggestion, as it would actually have some impact on reducing CO2 emissions.

There is no point in stopping cars going faster than a certain speed if they are rarely exceeding that speed in the first place, is it?

Banning calculators in maths exams would make as much impact on CO2 emissions and speeding convictions as limiting cars to 160km/h.

inadequate speed does.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Not exactly pleading, but it would be a more credible suggestion, as it would actually have some impact on reducing CO2 emissions.

There is no point in stopping cars going faster than a certain speed if they are rarely exceeding that speed in the first place, is it?

Banning calculators in maths exams would make as much impact on CO2 emissions and speeding convictions as limiting cars to 160km/h.

if that is the real purpose, maybe we should put a cap on power?

if that is the real purpose, maybe we should put a cap on power?
    But will that really have an effect on emission? Isn't it a bit like the situation of having a certain speed limit? I think the best option to limit emissions is to actually limit emissions, like the EU is doing.
    Visca Catalunya!

But will that really have an effect on emission? Isn't it a bit like the situation of having a certain speed limit? I think the best option to limit emissions is to actually limit emissions, like the EU is doing.
    but meeting any emission standard will be done under theoretical lab conditions. Implementing those conditions in the real world is quite something else...

but meeting any emission standard will be done under theoretical lab conditions. Implementing those conditions in the real world is quite something else...
    Well yes, but a 120gr/km car in lab conditions will still be better than a 140gr/km in lab conditions, in the real world, won't it?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information