Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MEPs bid to ban 102mph

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well yes, but a 120gr/km car in lab conditions will still be better than a 140gr/km in lab conditions, in the real world, won't it?
    remains to be seen, look at the Prius for instance
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    remains to be seen, look at the Prius for instance
    Yes but that's just a preposterous idea for american celebrities. We europeans makes proper frugal cars like BMWs or some VAG cars, etc.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes but that's just a preposterous idea for american celebrities. We europeans makes proper frugal cars like BMWs or some VAG cars, etc.
    and some diesels
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and some diesels
    For interest ..
    A petrol engine that complies with the Euro IV emissions standard will emit 80mg/km of NOx, while a Euro IV diesel engine can emit 250mg/km. Commercial vehicles, which make up the majority of diesels on the road, have an even greater allowance of 390mg/km.

Even when Euro V standards come into effect in 2009, diesel vehicles will be allowed to emit 180mg/km, compared with 60mg/km for petrol.

Burning a litre of diesel creates 17 per cent more CO2 than burning a litre of petrol (2.7kg versus 2.3kg) but the litre of diesel will usually drive a car 25 to 30 per cent further than the petrol, thereby creating a better overall result for the environment.

You can convert fuel consumption in litres/100km to grams of CO2/km by using a simple formula. For petrol all you do is multiply the consumption figure by 23, for diesel by 27 and for LPG by 15

From the closed thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    your rules only allow 70 Mph maximum......and judging from the average driving quality in your country, that is more than enough...
    Wasn't it 65mph? I think 70mph is in the UK.
    Visca Catalunya!

From the closed thread:

Wasn't it 65mph? I think 70mph is in the UK.
    it depends on the state and the area. in nebraska its 75mph on the interstate. in california its usually 65 in the city but up to 70 on the interstate. in parts of montana there is no speed limit.

also to reply to Mr. America-hater Henk, we might have a 75 mph speed limit here, but we still have the option to break it if want to. not to mention if we go to the drag strip or race track its nice to be able to go over 100 if we want. personally, i think the govt limiting cars to 100mph is rediculous.

See, we should all be driving Kitties. She can just about crack 100mph (depends how strong your tailwind is ) and is zippy enough otherwise.

I don't like the sound of that article, but people do need to remember that you're only as fast as the car in front of you- something I've come to realise as I spend more and more time on the road behind idiots doing 35mph in 60mph zones. The time I get a clear, empty National Speed limit road ahead of me is a rare one, and I enjoy at much as I can. The real danger lies within the people I get behind me, who seem to think it's their God-given right to tailgate me. Until I suddenly slow down using my gears and give them a fright. They are the sort of people who I've seen going at least 50mph in 30 limits, and the sort of people who change lanes without indicating on the roundabout (nearly causing pile-ups in the process).

What amuses me is the people I get down my pub who brag about how fast their new BMW in the car park goes (it's pathetic), and then I think "It won't be that fast if I'm in front of you, sonny jim". They are never, ever going to manage the 155mph top speed on a British road without severe ramifications- look what happened to the guy who went 170mph in his borrowed 911 Turbo.

I don't think imposing that law would really make that much difference, 102mph on the motorway here can be very sketchy- you need the reactions of a fly to keep stock of the situation, which is not relaxing. I'm generally happy at about 90. It is rare for me to be overtaken when I'm hurrying along down the motorway at about that speed. I can count on one hand the amount of people I've seen going faster than me, believe it or not!

People who enjoy their cars for track days would find it frustrating if they could actually open the car up to speeds above 102mph on a straight, but I have a feeling that it could be a rare occurrence. I suppose it depends how fast your ego-chariot can go, and how brave you are concerning braking.

you definately make a good point Audi. i drive like a grandpa, i try to keep her around 65-70 to save a little gas (suburban) and i think its rare for most people to go that fast. i guess what bugs me about it is that to me, its just another example of the govt overstepping its role. maybe you guys have a different perception of the govt out there.

Thanks, man.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like our government at all- but I can sort-of see where they're coming from with this. What I think is a more worrying issue is the use of black boxes so they can track us at all times. That scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    also to reply to Mr. America-hater Henk, we might have a 75 mph speed limit here, but we still have the option to break it if want to. not to mention if we go to the drag strip or race track its nice to be able to go over 100 if we want. personally, i think the govt limiting cars to 100mph is rediculous.
    generalising is an art you appear to have mastered to perfection... (nice to see my name spelled with capital H, so you do know how to use the caps key).

The EU proposal (effectively one UK based member of the European Parliament) now would allow all Europeans (except the Germans of course) to break the speed limit in force in the other 24 member states by at least 25% and in many cases by even more...
    Also trucks (heavy lorries) are governed to 80 kph (officially), but that is done on the basis of national and not EU regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    What I think is a more worrying issue is the use of black boxes so they can track us at all times. That scares me.
    yeah no doubt about it, thats definately bad for business.

Henk...i dont use the caps lock...I USE THE SHIFT KEY!!! BOOYA!!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    See, we should all be driving Kitties. She can just about crack 100mph (depends how strong your tailwind is ) and is zippy enough otherwise.

I don't like the sound of that article, but people do need to remember that you're only as fast as the car in front of you- something I've come to realise as I spend more and more time on the road behind idiots doing 35mph in 60mph zones. The time I get a clear, empty National Speed limit road ahead of me is a rare one, and I enjoy at much as I can. The real danger lies within the people I get behind me, who seem to think it's their God-given right to tailgate me. Until I suddenly slow down using my gears and give them a fright. They are the sort of people who I've seen going at least 50mph in 30 limits, and the sort of people who change lanes without indicating on the roundabout (nearly causing pile-ups in the process).

What amuses me is the people I get down my pub who brag about how fast their new BMW in the car park goes (it's pathetic), and then I think "It won't be that fast if I'm in front of you, sonny jim". They are never, ever going to manage the 155mph top speed on a British road without severe ramifications- look what happened to the guy who went 170mph in his borrowed 911 Turbo.

I don't think imposing that law would really make that much difference, 102mph on the motorway here can be very sketchy- you need the reactions of a fly to keep stock of the situation, which is not relaxing. I'm generally happy at about 90. It is rare for me to be overtaken when I'm hurrying along down the motorway at about that speed. I can count on one hand the amount of people I've seen going faster than me, believe it or not!

People who enjoy their cars for track days would find it frustrating if they could actually open the car up to speeds above 102mph on a straight, but I have a feeling that it could be a rare occurrence. I suppose it depends how fast your ego-chariot can go, and how brave you are concerning braking.
    How congested are actually motorways in the UK? I usually drive at an average speed of 140-150km/h in the motorway, and occasionally when conditions allow up to 160-170km/h. Here it's not that rare to find good conditions in order to do so.
    Visca Catalunya!

Drivers here are different to the ones in mainland Europe.

There is an innate sense of pig-headedness about the drivers who doggedly sit doing 80km/h in the middle lane, when they should be in the left lane. And some people do it in the outside lane, except they do about 120km/h- over the limit, but not quite fast enough.

My dear mother has managed some truly insane speeds on the motorway before, one notable occasion was when we were late for the ferry to France and she managed a highly impressive 195km/h from the Civic for about 4 miles straight before the traffic got worse.

It does depend what time you're off out, but the motorways here can get very busy and people can be very unpredictable, hence a reluctance to go over a certain speed.

yeah no doubt about it, thats definately bad for business.

Henk...i dont use the caps lock...I USE THE SHIFT KEY!!! BOOYA!!
    I did not say Caps Lock, I said Caps Key...but you have got the message obviously now learn how to properly apply the correct key and you might be getting there....some day.

also to reply to Mr. America-hater Henk, we might have a 75 mph speed limit here, but we still have the option to break it if want to.
    Having a law and being allowed to break it. Yes, that's a great example of superior cleverness and advanced civilization.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Thread Information