Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Comp 118 Weekly Automotive

haha, less than 5 secs for a normal page here. About 10 for a voting thread
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Fumacher View Post
    Well the only thing I know is, that those cars were powered by Ferrari Engines. There were around 5 or 6 of those cars. Here are some more photo's of them.....
    Very interesting, it's the first time i see one of these. Thank you for sharing.
    Btw, good photos! I particularly like the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    THAT, is the network connection, and different ISPs will have different upload/download speeds. I had a 1mbps connection from ISP, but my network (little icon) is 100mbps. 1mbps should be very enough for a webpage to load, but my ISP limits download speed to ridiculously low speeds.

(No offence - Hope you're not joking with me (i don't see any smiley) into explaining this cos it feels rather the same as Ken Tsui telling us about "New Cars")
    No i am not joking, I am telling you what my computer indicated and what the resulted uploading speed (or the lack of it) was. I have no clues about the real speed that my Kyrgyz or Uzbek provider was supplying me with. The only point I want to make is that not everybody has access to 100 MBps (like I am having now) and that we should do as much as we can to prevent innecessary actions that will slow down uploading speed of those who are less privileged.
    It is not for nothing that people in the hide-out are always asked to use the attachment system. I see no reason why the photocomps should be an exception to this.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

People are using the attachment system, they're just adding attached image to the post with an [img] tag.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    People are using the attachment system, they're just adding attached image to the post with an [img] tag.
    yep, and my only request is to stop doing that.....(I never did it for instance...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    yep, and my only request is to stop doing that.....(I never did it for instance...)
    Pardon me, but i totally agree that the above suggestion should be held valid in every other thread, except the photo comps.

Everyone wants to see every pic in photo comp to vote. To click on every image that was in the thumbnail, and to load it back and forth, actually took up more time and connection bandwidth of the server than it is to actually load once, and scroll up and down, just that the initial page took longer time to load, but after that very first 'wait' you can start checking the pics out rather than to perform more clicks.

I vote to stay as it is.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Pardon me, but i totally agree that the above suggestion should be held valid in every other thread, except the photo comps.

Everyone wants to see every pic in photo comp to vote. To click on every image that was in the thumbnail, and to load it back and forth, actually took up more time and connection bandwidth of the server than it is to actually load once, and scroll up and down, just that the initial page took longer time to load, but after that very first 'wait' you can start checking the pics out rather than to perform more clicks.

I vote to stay as it is.
    the only exception to this would be the voting thread itself.....not the submission thread.

the only exception to this would be the voting thread itself.....not the submission thread.
    i agree, i don't mind if the submission thread does not include the images posted in-line.
    although i don't mind if it stays at is, 128kbps or not
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i agree, i don't mind if the submission thread does not include the images posted in-line.
    although i don't mind if it stays at is, 128kbps or not
    well everytime you want to check a new entry in the submission thread you have to go through the tedious downloading phase

k, now i got it. agreed.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

I don't undederstand why a common practice should be abandonned just because it bothers one person...

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    I don't undederstand why a common practice should be abandonned just because it bothers one person...
    probably because it says in the rules that the pictures should be uploaded as attachments, and furthermore because it is repeatedly being asked in other threads to use the attachment feature....

Next time I will invite you to Bishkek so you can see for yourself what the potential problems are....

probably because it says in the rules that the pictures should be uploaded as attachments, and furthermore because it is repeatedly being asked in other threads to use the attachment feature....

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Guidelines
    The Ultimatecarpage.com forum software has an attachment system for pictures and other files. This is the preferred method of posting images as third party hosting companies can remove images at any time and also posting inline images greatly increase the load times. For all images wider than 800 pixels, the use of the attachment system is mandatory.
    The pictures are attached using UCP system and are not wider than 800 pixels.

Yeah I don't understand the conflict here. All forum guidelines are being followed here, and just because last week you were in BFE with a 10mbs (which, if functioning properly should have only taken a second to load, since most pictures are less than 500kb in their 600x800 size...) I don't think we should inconvenience people by making them open every single attachment, just to see the picture, when if images are posted in-line, you can wait less than 5-seconds and not have to wait on individual attachments to open.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Piacki: will you do the polls this week?
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Thread Information