Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

User on GTP couldn't quite figure this out, and none of us seem to either.

Do you guys know?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Iirc that is a Kelmark GT kitcar by Fibrefab

I was going to guess it was a GT40 kit car.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Iirc that is a Kelmark GT kitcar by Fibrefab
    Oops I should have checked instead of relying on memory but fortunately a rethink led to the right answer

Its another one of Fibrefab's many creations - some kind of Avenger or Valkirie

http://www.avenger-valkyrie.org/

Below is the Kelmark GT

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredveh...ia_kelmark_gt/

I'd say it's this Custoca (Austrian kitcar from the 70/80s). Unfortunately it's the only photo of this model I've seen and I don't even know the name of this model (some sources suggest that it might be an early version of the Hurrycane).

BTW: This thread should've been posted in the "What's this car official thread".

Edit: After seeing nota's post about Avenger/Valkyrie I must agree it's the same car. Apparently someone put this photo by mistake into an article about Custoca. (http://www.austroclassic.com/custoca/)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by go.pawel; 06-10-2007 at 02:45 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

^

For the curious is this info site about the Fibrefab cars - from 427cid Valkirie, to VW or Corvair in Avengers etc

http://members.shaw.ca/thefiberfabcars/

I thought the Fibrefabs were based on VWs...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I thought the Fibrefabs were based on VWs...
    Look at the Valkirie page in my post #6 website link..

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Look at the Valkirie page in my post #6 website link..
    yeah Aztec is a name I remember...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I alway s thought Fiberfab was German. Apparently the company originated in California (later moved to Minnesota) but the cars were also produced in Germany (near Heilbronn).
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

[QUOTE=henk4;717071]yeah Aztec is a name I remember...[/QUOTE

Actually, a few years back (before my brother or I were members) we had a friend post pictures of a car we found in our town and had no idea what it was. Lo and behold it was a Fiberfab Aztec 7.

Also, believe it or not but just recently when spotted another car in our town that we have no idea what it is, and remarkably, I think it looks alot like this valkyrie. Still haven't been able to take any pictures but I'll see if I can get on that. BTW it's red if that helps.

Learn how to spell, world, before making cars.

It's H-U-R-R-I-C-A-N-E and T-O-R-N-A-D-O, not 'Hurrycaine' and 'Toronado.'

Lord, come on, do you all want to end up like Iraq?

Anyway, aren't we all happy these pseudo-supercars are gone?

The ones that remain are an albatross around the neck of whoever owns one. The douchbags never seem satisfied owning what could be a decent driver's car that, sadly, looks like something it's not. They all want to fool people into thinking they've got a thouroughbred, when calling their kitcars a mule would be doing a disservice to mules.

I was at our local "Toad Suck Car Show" (That's a part of Toad Suck Daze, as seen on the Colbert Report) and the ignorant dickhead running the PA system kept broadcasting "Be sure to go check out the gorgeous white Lamborghini!" across the throuroughfare.

At 100 yards, you can tell a true Countach from a Fiero-based kitcar. Guess what this one was?

Playing the fool, I asked him what year his car was. The fat little ****er told me it was an '83. I told him I was a reporter covering the car show for the county paper, and asked if I could ask some more questions about the car.

My first question was: What's the towel for? as I pointed to the open engine cover (inadvisable) displaying a huge, carpeted truck where at least six cylinders of Lambo should have been, and a green towell covering up the car's shame (a Fiero's 4-banger, namely) like a loincloth on a dutchman.

If you'd just seen the look on his face, you'd think I'd sprayed him with shit-mist. I gave him my most cheese-filled smile, snapped a quick shot of the towell, and went on my way, to photograph a very genuine Ferrari 308 for the front-page photo.

Wouldn't you know, smiling little kids were chosen by my editor over a cherry 308 GTB finished in flawless black laquer.

Anyway, point is, kitcars that ape the styling of supercars are nauseating, and should be quarrantined, if not destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    Learn how to spell, world, before making cars.

It's H-U-R-R-I-C-A-N-E and T-O-R-N-A-D-O, not 'Hurrycaine' and 'Toronado.'

Anyway, point is, kitcars that ape the styling of supercars are nauseating, and should be quarrantined, if not destroyed.
    Toronado was a famous Oldsmobile based kitcar.

Read your first line again and then your fourth but last word of this post. (it is French )

You'd better take that back, you sumbich.

Ohhhh, I'm just joking about european spellings of things. To me, bonnet, boot, 'grey' with an 'e,' and the 'u' in 'colour' all make perfect sense. Slipping into the stereotypical American South character is more obvious in person.

It's a role I enjoy playing as a comic and, to me, socially revealing tool, but rest assured, I've drank my beer in Berlin too.

And the Toronado, sadly, wasn't a kitcar. They made a bunch of them.

It was the car that made it OK for American luxury carmakers to trust their V8s' torque to vastly overrated front-wheel-drive transmissions. In short, the Toronado played its part in killing The American Car.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..

The Toronado wowed 'em
    Chicago Sun-Times, Mar 26, 2007 by Dan Jedlicka

The Oldsmobile Toronado was a startling new car when introduced for 1966 because it was the first front-wheel-drive American car since the advanced but short-lived late-1930s Cord.

The Toronado even had concealed headlights and slotted wheels, as did the Cord. And its uncluttered front end with a wide, thin horizontal-bar grille looked like a modern interpretation of the Cord's grille.

Oldsmobile was General Motors' innovative division, having done such things as introducing the first automatic transmission in 1939 and the first modern high-compression V-8 in 1949, which accompanied Cadillac's separately designed modern new V-8.

Front-drive cars now are common, but Olds figured it was due for another breakthrough development and that front-drive would let a large, powerful domestic car have superior traction. Such a drive setup also would allow more interior room by doing away with the driveline tunnel of rear-drive autos, which all American car producers made.

The Cord had a potent supercharged V-8 and the "Toro" was powered by a big 425-cubic-inch V8 with 385 horsepower. It let this Olds cruise effortlessly at 100 mph in sparsely populated states with long open roads.

The Toronado arrived when General Motors let its car divisions individually come up with sexy models. Olds' aggressive young boss, John Beltz, was determined to have his division introduce a model in the innovative Olds tradition.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..

Mare's Piss > Front Wheel Drive

Thread Information