Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brother UK

Big Brother UK

I dont know if any UK members are watching the show, or anyone abroad for that matter. But since last years celebrity big brother uprising due to the "racist" comments of Jade Goody towards the indian actress shilpa shetty, its happened again this year. But I feel very strongly about it and thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

Basically its an english reality tv show where a whole lot of people are chosen by channel 4 and put into a modern stylish living area for 3 months, each week people are nominated by the housemates and the public vote for who is kicked out until there is a winner.

Anyway, to the point, 2 girls in the house are black. Blonde girl Emily from London was outside in the garden talking with them joking about and said something along the lines of "Are you pushing it out, you nigger?". To which the black girl seemed shocked and replied:

"Em, I can't believe you said that."

Miss Uchea said: "You are in trouble."

Miss Parr said: "Don't make a big thing out of it then. I was joking."

Miss Uchea said: "I know you were, but that's some serious s***, sorry."

Not so much making a big deal as she would've done if the other black girl had've said it to her. Emily obviously didn't mean to offend, its a pretty common word in the urban dictionary. To cause a fuss over it would be pathetic and pointless, but the black girl did to an extent. Emily was then removed from the house shortly after. I'm saying it should've been the other way round.

I dont usually watch the show but this is absolute bullshit. Last year the racist comments were used to offend the housemate. This year, black culture it seems isn't allowed to be used by a white girl on an English TV show. What the hell is happening? I can say nigger, I'm sure alot of black people wouldn't care, but those who do only have some sort of insecurity about feeling inferior. While they continue to use it in all of their pop and rap songs. I'm surprised there's not more of a rebellion against this in the newspapers, but it seems political correctness is on the side off bullshit, once again.

Last edited by Cotterik; 06-10-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Maybe not the best topic for discussion, based on past experience.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

It's an unspoken rule (and a crap one at that) that white people are not allowed to use the n-word. in any context, in any form.

the blonde girl should not have used it - there are so many connotations reflected by it's meaning - both socially, racially, politically.... - that to say it 'without it being a big deal' just will never happen. I personally find such language hugely distasteful and disrespectful.

I also find this issue pretty nasty and this thread will, i have no doubt, end ugly. so be warned about your language and what you say.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'm not saying anything myself, i just know alot of people are talking about in the UK, and I'd see what people on the forum thought.

I f***ing hate it when people shit themselves over the 'N' word. Why should a black person be so shocked anyway? Half of their culture grips on to rap music, which shouts "nigga" constantly. I really don't see the point of all the fuss. Nobody is being racist, so move on and grow up.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

White people can use it, maybe around the year 3020 when Africa had rised to be the superpower of the world, black/asian people dominating Times, Forbes, world's richest or forbes 500 .... best living conditions are in zimbabwe or Laos...

Then you guys can use the word nigger and i assure you no black man would step up feeling offended.

It should be a fair thing, but if it is; there won't be the term Inferiority Complex, a social phenomenon, where people in this society should be aware of and should perform some sort of social responsibility to maintain the balance to by putting a lil effort into understanding the fundamental cause of this, and thus avoid doing so.

So yeah, unfair but what's fair? Stick with it cotterik.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    White people can use it, maybe around the year 3020 when Africa had rised to be the superpower of the world, black/asian people dominating Times, Forbes, world's richest or forbes 500 .... best living conditions are in zimbabwe or Laos...

Then you guys can use the word nigger and i assure you no black man would step up feeling offended.
    I can assure you that you are incorrect. The ratio of rich black people to rich white people isn't going to affect how they interpret racism. Neither is the superpower status of Africa.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I think it's utterly ridiculous that black people can go around calling each other that and if a white person says it they just might get shot.

Black Guy: "Yo nigga what up mayne?"
    Black Guy 2: "Hey my nigga just keepin' it real you know."
    White Guy: "Hey nigga"
    Black Guys Together: "Nigga what the F*CK you just say?!?!"
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    I can assure you that you are incorrect. The ratio of rich black people to rich white people isn't going to affect how they interpret racism. Neither is the superpower status of Africa.
    This is not racism. This is inferiority complex, remember, it's not the word nigga thats creating the problem, it's the response from that nigger from the word nigga.

What makes you think Chinese people had riots when Japs visited some temple ? And that British people could have holidays and things like Trafalga square to celebrate victory against French? Does Brits or French people felt 'insulted' by all these? nope, they couldn't care less for subconsciously, they do not feel being inferior to the other party. Likewise, Japanese couldn't care less if those monkeys over at mainlands were shouting around.

If 50 cents, Puff Daddy were to move to Zimbabwe for living, do you think they would drive around in big Caddy's and hang huge gold necklace around their necks? they won't, cos there's no one superior there for them to negate their inferiority.

Whites had dominated the world order since the last few centuries, so accept it, the other half of the world still sees you guys as the dominant player, and will somehow be more sensitive towards what you say and what you didn't.

And the reason i put year 3020 is not to give them a 1000 year break to power up their economy, but it's to 'clean-up' the remnants of subconscious inferiority mindset, generation by generation.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

It's like my friend Ben, he goes around calling everyone 'Nigga' or 'Nigz'...

Foolish I say. You're not black ben. You're ginger...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

BB was mildly entertaining when that Nadia the transexual was there, but every BB since then is just the same old repetitive rubbish. Most of them play up for the cameras and I bet the only reason Channel 4 made such a fuss over this is to get more viewers, not because they care about this 'racism' - and looks like they succeeded too. I can't understand how anyone can keep watching this crap, or even consider taking anything that happens there seriously.
    My other signature has a V12

The real problem here is not using racially offensive words and phrases.
    It's you watching the crappy show...

grow up.
    I f***ing hate it when people shit themselves over the 'N' word.
    Pot, Kettle, Black... (er, is that racist?)

Why should a black person be so shocked anyway? Half of their culture...
    "Their culture"?

What is that, a job lot of "black people" culture that they all adhere to, on some sort of secret-black-person-culture-internet?

Like our "White people" culture that every white person on the globe knows, but slightly inferior wages?

Maybe she was shocked because "rap music" is not something that every black person listens to.

Maybe because it is part of American culture, not British?

Anyway:

"What's up, niggaz?"

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    The real problem here is not using racially offensive words and phrases.
    It's you watching the crappy show...
    Quite - they can say whatever they like, so long as they burn everyone involved and everyone who watches the programme when they have finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 06-10-2007 at 01:41 PM.

The producers of these shows deliberately choose people who they think will do these sorts of things in an attempt to gain notoriety and subsequent increase in ratings and advertising revenue.

Cotterick's post shows an interesting bias in the way he has named the white people with capitalisation, but black and asian people don't get given the same respect. Says it all about his views, really.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

ED FTW!

Anywho, there's a lot of assumptions being made on the part of a lot of people here. Such as that all black people call each other niggers, all black people are unoffended by the word nigger and also that all black people are involved in rap culture, just to name a few.

It's an offensive word, regardless of who's using it. It's just that some people choose to use it otherwise.

If, for example, you were to call a friend of yours a 'cock' or something equally mature, that would probably be acceptable. It's just part of joking among friends.

Does that therefore make it acceptable for anyone that you meet to call you a cock? No, of course it doesn't.

Thread Information